Tales of the City (1978)

by Armistead Maupin

Series: Tales of the City (1)

4,521941,931 (3.87)230
A naive young secretary forsakes Cleveland for San Francisco, tumbling headlong into a brave new world of laundromat lotharios and cutthroat debutantes.
Recently added byalightfirst, Nath-Dan, private library, SamQTrust, hlindskold, VaniceD
Legacy LibrariesNewton 'Bud' Flounders
    44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith (alic3_tj, cransell, Jannes)
    Jannes: Tales of the City was the main inspiration for McCall Smith Wehen he decided to write Scotland Street. The two books have a lot in common, including the episodic format, the light-hearted tone and the premise of a house and it's tenants.
    Logical Family: A Memoir by Armistead Maupin (scaredda, scaredda)
    scaredda: Maupin explains in his memoir a lot of the references for his characters in Tales of the City.
    scaredda: Maupin gives a lot of reference about his characters in his Memoires.
    Goodbye to Berlin by Christopher Isherwood (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: Interlinked short stories set in and around an apartment block in 1930s Berlin. One of the short stories was the inspiration for the musical Cabaret.
    Bite Me by Christopher Moore (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Both books capture San Francisco in unique ways.
    The Thing About Alice by Jean-Luke Swanepoel (Anonymous user)
    A Room in Chelsea Square by Michael Nelson (Anonymous user)
    The Emperor Waltz by Philip Hensher (jonathankws)
    The Lost Language of Cranes by David Leavitt (jonathankws)

English (85)  French (5)  German (1)  All languages (91)
Half the fun of this book is reading about a specific time and place in San Francisco in the late seventies, post-hippies, and pre-tech. ( )
  auldhouse | Sep 30, 2021 |
I've been interested in reading this series ever since I saw the television adaptations. It's been a while since I've seen those, now, so I find it difficult to make too many direct comparisons. But I daresay the books are at least on par with what I remember of the teleplays.

What I love about Maupin's writing is the way he is able to connect the reader to the characters right away. It didn't take long to get pulled into the world that he's created for these people and to ride along on their journey. While the story shifts frequently between the characters and their perspectives, it's never a jarring transition and everything seems to build together toward some rather surprising ends. Definitely prepared to pick up the next book in the series. ( )
  crtsjffrsn | Aug 27, 2021 |
This was ridiculous and sweet, quirky and silly. Reading it was just FUN. I loved the characters, the kitschy San Francisco 70s setting, though the Mona-going-off-with-D'Or bit kind of wore on me (and maybe got a bit TOO ridiculous). Anyhow, I've got to get the next one in the series, but hold on to it for a day when I need these people to life me up again. ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
Lives of a group of characters in 1970s San Francisco.

I've read this before round about 1980. I found it a frustrating read then, and I did again this time round. It started life as a column in a San Francisco newspaper and there is a lot which probably made perfect sense to its first readers in the city and which I'm not picking up on. There are just too many in jokes or brand names, shops, and districts used in descriptions which obviously mean SOMETHING but I have no idea what. It feels like a party where I don't know anybody or anything about what they're talking about. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Jun 6, 2021 |
meh ( )
  rosscharles | May 19, 2021 |
Un petit bijou d'humour et d'humanisme.
added by Ariane65 | editBiba

Armistead Maupinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lindholm, JuhaniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McDormand, FrancesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It's an odd thing, but anyone who disappears is said to be seen in San Francisco.
--Oscar Wilde
For my mother and father and my family at The Duck House
Mary Ann Singleton was twenty-five years old when she saw San Francisco for the first time.
«Personne n’est heureux. Et puis qu’est-ce qu’être heureux ? Puisque le bonheur s’arrête dès qu’on rallume la lumière.»

«Parfois j’ai le sentiment que le bon Dieu a mis les femmes sur cette terre pour rappeler aux hommes l’heure des cocktails.»

«La nuit de Noël est la plus horrible des nuits pour rester seul au lit, car le réveil ne ressemble pas du tout aux pubs Kodak avec des gosses en pantoufles... Ca ressemble à n’importe quelle autre journée de l’année !»

«Il y a de meilleurs moyens que le sexe pour créer des liens profonds. Et durables.»

«Noël est une conspiration pour bien faire sentir aux célibataires qu’ils sont seuls.»

San Francisco, 1976. A naïve young secretary, fresh out of Cleveland, tumbles headlong into a brave new world of laundromat Lotharios, pot-growing landladies, cut throat debutantes, and Jockey Shorts dance contests. The saga that ensues is manic, romantic, tawdry, touching, and outrageous—unmistakably the handiwork of Armistead Maupin.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,248,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible