One L by Scott Turow

One L

by Scott Turow (Author)

This was my introduction to Scott Turow. Loved it! ( )
  junebedell | Jan 2, 2015 |
I read this because it's the "Duke Reads" book this month. Otherwise, it really didn't interest me. I found the author and his fellow students to be self-absorbed and not very interesting. I understand that his purpose in writing the book was to expose and question the style of teaching lawyers - and he's probably right that it doesn't make a lot of sense. The description of the favored Socratic method was enough to convince me that I'd never want to be there, and the idea that the entire grade for a year-long class rests on a single final exam is just nuts. But he didn't convince me to care, either. I guess because I'm not a lawyer. The glimpse into a different kind of education was worth the read, but that's about all. ( )
  TerriBooks | Nov 19, 2013 |
The traumatic experiences of Scott Turow at Harvard veneered in not-so subtle fiction. Read it years ago and loved it. My brother, who went to Harvard Law School says it's very true to reality. I was reminded or it by a scene from [b:The Abbey|10699126|The Abbey (a full-length suspense thriller)|Chris Culver|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51oS0pryMTL._SL75_.jpg|15609267] in which Detective Sergeant Ashraf Rashid's cell phone goes off during law class. The professor in The Abbey, who bears a likeness to One L's Professor Perini/Kingsfield admonishes

Scene from The Abbey: “ 'And I’m sorry we allowed a clearly unqualified applicant into this law school based on some supposed community service.' My nails bit into my palms. I shook my head and started gathering my notebooks. 'Did I pick up your daughter for solicitation or something? Or are you an asshole to everybody?' I didn’t think there was going to be any oxygen left in the room after the collective intake. That’s probably going to hurt my grade."

ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
Fairly horrifying for a prospective 1L. However, slightly hard to take seriously with the ridiculous amount of whining throughout the book. It's pretty annoying for those of us who would have killed to attend HLS. I hope the people attending law school now understand what they are getting themselves into so it isn't as much of a shock as it was for Mr. Turow and his classmates. ( )
  OstensiblyA1 | Sep 20, 2013 |
If you attended law school, this book will revive memories you probably suppressed in order to preserve your sanity; if you didn't go to law school, this book shows you exactly what you missed. In the details it is definitely a period piece -- the author complains about paying the exorbitant price of $15 for a casebook (it not uncommon to pay almost $200 today), and bemoans the extravagant $3k/year he pays in Harvard tuition. I won't even try to find out what the current rates are.

The Socratic method so much at the center of his account is presently employed rarely, perhaps because professors no longer understand how it actually works. The fruits of the technique can be seen in the satisfying discoveries the students find in Torts; the underside, of course, arises in the "Incident" in Contracts.

Despite the painfulness of the process, I couldn't help but envy the complete immersion and challenge the students experienced in something they willingly chose -- no one is forced to study law, much less at Harvard. If the process had been more like an undergraduate course, I believe it would have been equally unsatisfying, if for different reasons. Yes, it is hazing, but as a whole the year by design breaks down the layman and rebuilds in its place a lawyer. ( )
  dono421846 | Mar 8, 2013 |
For Annette, with love and gratitude and admiration
They called us "One Ls," and there were 550 of us who came on the third of September to begin our careers in the law.

Newsweek calls him "an extraordinarily canny and empathetic observer." In bestseller after bestseller, Turow uses his background as a lawyer to create suspense fiction so authentic it reads with the hammering impact of fact. But before he became a worldwide sensation, Scott Turow wrote a book that is entirely true, the account of his own searing indoctrination into the field of law called ... The first year of law school is an intellectual and emotional ordeal so grueling that it ensures only the fittest survive. Now Scott Turow takes you inside the oldest and most prestigious law school in the country when he becomes a "One L," as entering students are known at Harvard Law School. In a book that became a national bestseller, a law school primer, and a classic autobiography, he brings to life the fascinating, shocking reality of that first year. Provocative and riveting, One L reveals the experience directly from the combat zone: the humiliations, triumphs, hazings, betrayals, and challenges that will make him a lawyer-and forever change Turow's mind, test his principles, and expose his heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:50 -0400)

Recounts the workload, conflicts, pressures, anxieties, relationships, and educational content of the critical and difficult first year at Harvard's prestigious and demanding law school

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,421,327 books! | Top bar: Always visible