Queen of this Realm by Jean Plaidy

Queen of this Realm (1984)

by Jean Plaidy

Novel is told in the first person by Queen Elizabeth I whose unique personality changed the course of history.

3.75 stars.
This one is about Elizabeth I.

This is only the second Plaidy I’ve read, but it seems that they are very detailed. Which is very interesting, but at times I found it a little long (which is why I didn't give it the full 4 stars). Sometimes it’s hard to think that the book is fiction. Obviously, with the dialogue and such, it is, but I’m thinking that most of what she describes actually did happen, and Plaidy doesn’t seem to play up the rumours. They are mentioned, but in the book, they are just rumours. ( )
  LibraryCin | Nov 26, 2017 |
The best word I can think to describe this book is tedious. Elizabeth I is a very interesting person and her life story should not have been all about her relationship with men. I found no strength of character and she appeared to be a ding-bat teen in her emotional relationships up until her death. Elizabeth speaks of her beloved Robert endlessly. Which might be ok except she says the same thing page after page..."I could almost marry him today...but I can't". And she also goes on and on about how she surrounds herself with handsome men at court who are all in love with her and who must show her that love and pretty much court her forever because she can't ever marry, but she wants to be loved. You get the picture? Where was all the interesting spy stuff? Mary Queen of Scotland? Oh she was there, but in the same way as Elizabeth spoke of the men. She should kill her, but not today because she really doesn't want to be remembered for killing another Queen. The first person voice used to tell this tale was the wrong fit. ( )
  CinderH | Dec 1, 2014 |
Highly recommended! Another simply magnificent work that should not be missed. ( )
  ejgrogan | Mar 20, 2011 |
I really like this historical fiction novel by Jean Plaidy. This is the second volume in Jean Plaidy's "Queens of England" series of books and it is written as a first person narrative, which makes this book highly readable. It makes Elizabeth I more relatable and more personable to the reader. The author takes the reader through Elizabeth's early years and her early and tumultous reign to the end. This is a great book for anyone interested in the period and likes historical-fiction. ( )
  Angelic55blonde | Jul 11, 2007 |
I definitely enjoyed reading this story. I know that someone less patient than I would have much trouble with the monotony of the novel. Elizabeth the I, while a fascinating historical character, becomes quite tedious throughout the book, especially as she really shows no change throughout the 400+ changes. At times the book dragged and the story became old. The constant repetition of various ideas and feelings often became frustrating. The entire book would do well to see the business end of the delete key.

Despite this I enjoyed the novel. I don't know that I would recommend it to anyone. Perhaps because I don't know anyone who would be interested in such a book. ( )
  elevesque | Sep 17, 2006 |
When I look back over the first twenty-five years of my life and consider the number of times I was in danger of losing it, I believe - as I have since that wonderful day when I rode into my capital city in a riding dress of purple velvet, beside me my Master of Horse, Robert Dudley, the most handsome man in England, and listened to the guns of the Tower greeting me, and saw the flowers strewn in my path- yes, I fervently believe that my destiny was to be a great queen.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,092,577 books! | Top bar: Always visible