On the Social Contract by Jean-Jacques…

On the Social Contract (1762)

by Jean-Jacques Rousseau

English (19)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (27)
"Conduzir sem violência, persuadir sem convencer" ( )
  adsicuidade | Sep 8, 2018 |
I remember reading this book on the second floor of the UC Davis Shields Library for a class on european history. At the time I recall I was less impressed with the veracity and accuracy of the ideas than with their manner of expression. I must read it again, like so many others, when my idle nature permits it, though once more I expect to be more taken by the language than by the content.

On another note, when writing an essay comparing Rousseau with Locke, the teacher's assistant marked me for misinterpreting Rousseau's concepts of Government and Sovereignty. I still think I was right, and I should have taken the issue up with the professor. ( )
  the_lemur | Nov 9, 2017 |
It should come as no surprise that reading piecemeal translations of classic works is no substitute for reading the work cover to cover. I was surprised to find that the words used to justify the American and French Revolutions were much like Adam Smith's "invisible hand" - a small part of an otherwise far-ranging discussion. Rousseau's discussion of religion, the state and marriage holds some key lessons for statecraft in the present, but I daresay the focus on the "social contract" (which should more correctly be referred to as the "social pact" in the Rousseauian sense of the term) has overshadowed any other use of the ideas from this classic work. Yet another reason to read the classics for oneself rather than rely on second-hand reports. Reading The Social Contract has highlighted some major gaps in my knowledge, particularly about ancient Rome but also Hobbes. No doubt I will need to revisit Locke, too. Nevertheless, this short book, along with The Prince, Utopia, and The Communist Manifesto, represents an important part of the modern nation-state and is certainly worth more than a skim-read. ( )
1 vote madepercy | Nov 7, 2017 |
""
  rouzejp | Sep 2, 2015 |
I continue to love the Penguin Great Ideas series. Though the simple inclusion of a date of original publication would be very nice.

Anyway, the book is a discussion of governments. Ideal governments vs. real governments, the best government for a given state, the nature of governance and governors. The historical and mythical examples were interesting, but in many places the extent to which various theoretical constructs were being compared got a bit tiring. Despite all that, there were more than enough points to ponder to make the book worth the reading. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |

Jean-Jacques Rousseauprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burgelin, PierreIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cole, G. D. H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roermund, G. vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My purpose is to consider if, in political society, there can be any legitimate and sure principle of government, taking men as they are and laws as they might be.
Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0140442014, Paperback)

'Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains' - these are the famous opening words of a treatise that has not ceased to stir vigorous debate since its first publication in 1762. Rejecting the view that anyone has a natural right to wield authority over others, Rousseau argues instead for a pact, or 'social contract', that should exist between all the citizens of a state and that should be the source of sovereign power. From this fundamental premise, he goes on to consider issues of liberty and law, freedom and justice, arriving at a view of society that has seemed to some a blueprint for totalitarianism, to others a declaration of democratic principles.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:03 -0400)

Presents the eighteenth century French philosopher's views on society and the relationship between the individual and the state.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140442014, 0141018887

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,765,841 books! | Top bar: Always visible