The Thirty-Nine Steps (1915)

by John Buchan

Series: Richard Hannay stories (1)

In the days leading up to the First World War, typical everyman Richard Hannay finds himself caught in the middle of an anarchist plot to plunge Europe into chaos by assassinating the Greek Premier. However, when his American contact is murdered, Hannay makes it his duty to elude his enemies and save the Greek leader.… (more)

English (158)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (161)
I returned from the city about three o'clock on that May afternoon pretty well disgusted with life. I had been three months in the old country and was fed up with it. If anyone had told me a year ago that I would have been feeling like that, I should have laughed at him, but there was the fact.
(FYI- this book was published in 1915.)
  taurus27 | Sep 16, 2020 |
I want to watch the movie, with Rupert Penry-Jones.
  Okies | Sep 3, 2020 |
What the thriller was before James Bond came along: more thinking about moral courage and less thinking about sex. ( )
  JoeHamilton | Jul 21, 2020 |
Wild, entertaining, and throughly unbelievable: I enjoyed this early pioneer of spy fiction/the thriller genre. It's just the thing for a rainy afternoon. ( )
  katelynreads | Jun 30, 2020 |
A fairly engaging quick read but contains some overtly racist descriptions. I'm not likely to read any more of John Buchan's 'shockers'. ( )
  Georgina_Watson | Jun 14, 2020 |

Praetzellis, AdrianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thorn, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To
THOMAS ARTHUR NELSON
(LOTHIAN AND BORDER HORSE)
My Dear Tommy,
You and I have long cherished an affection for that elementary type of tale which Americans call the 'dime novel' and which we know as the 'shocker' - the romance where the incidents defy probabilities, and march just inside the borders of the possible. During an illness last winter I exhausted my store of those aids to cheerfulness, and was driven to write one for myself. This little volume is the result, and I should like to put your name on it in memory of our long friendship, in the days when the wildest fictions are so much less improbable than the facts.

J. B.
Richard Hannay is not, on the face of it, the most exciting of adventurers, yet more than any other hero he has come to embody the man of action pitted against the forces of misrule. (Introduction)
I returned from the City about three o'clock on that May afternoon pretty well disgusted with life.

Among the first espionage thrillers and an acknowledged classic, The Thirty-Nine Steps well deserves its accolades as one of the best adventure stories of all time. Leaving aside the improbable denouement, the fast paced, brilliantly conceived narrative still excites and carries one along with the sheer suspense of the manhunt - a recurring theme in literature - and Hannay’s struggle against the evil that is the ‘Black Stone'.
May 1914: Europe is close to war and spies are everywhere. Richard Hannay has arrived back in London to begin a new life, when a spy called Scudder asks for help to uncover a German plot to murder the Greek prime minister in London and to steal British plans for the outbreak of war. He claims to be following a ring of German spies called the Black Stone. A few days later, Scudder is murdered. Hannay is forced to continue Scudder’s work and is chased across Scotland both by police and German spies. The solution to the mysterious phrase 'Thirty-Nine Steps' is a thread that runs through the whole story.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441178, 0141031263, 0141194723

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,681,673 books! | Top bar: Always visible