Trainspotting (1993)

by Irvine Welsh

Series: Trainspotting (1)

Choose us. Choose life. Choose mortgage payments; choose washing machines; choose cars; choose sitting oan a couch watching mind-numbing and spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fuckin junk food intae yir mooth. Choose rotting away, pishing and shiteing yersel in a home, a total fuckin embarrassment tae the selfish, fucked-up brats ye've produced. Choose life.… (more)

English (65)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (71)
I couldn't actually be bothered to finish this book, since the lingo is incredibly hard to read. It's like a modern Robbie Burns poem, times 10, with modern language. It hurts my eyes/brain. Plus the plot didn't really seem to be going anywhere than around and around inside these dope-fiends' minds... ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 26, 2021 |
Brutal and beautiful. I think the multiple narrators thing sometimes works a little against the book but overall it's great. ( )
  skolastic | Feb 2, 2021 |
I bought this book on offer together with another book, but it was a big mistake. I bought it because on the cover someone was quoted as saying that “it was the best book ever written”; and I neglected to read any of it; had I done so I would never have purchased it.

It is written in some sort of Scottish dialect and the text is filled with the same specific obscene words; I can’t mention them or Amazon will refuse to post the review.

I am myself Scottish but though I have never spoken any such dialect I found it easily comprehensible. Perhaps everyone will.

However, it makes the book unappealing to read. Perhaps it is the best book ever written, but I’ll never find out. Perhaps it is the most vulgar book ever written.

Buy it at your peril. One star. ( )
  IonaS | Apr 26, 2020 |
Should be 5-stars (and many of my 5-star books should be 6-stars).

This book is flawless, it's a great piece. The form - a collection of short stories piled together to make a narrative - is excellent. The tone is perfect.... it's just spot on. ( )
  GirlMeetsTractor | Mar 22, 2020 |
This book makes me think of really poorly photoshopped images. ( )
  Adammmmm | Sep 10, 2019 |

Santikko, SauliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torberg, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeuli, GiulianaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to Anne
The sweat wis lashing oafay Sick Boy; he wis trembling.
"Life's boring and futile. We start oaf wi high hopes, then we bottle it. We realise that we're all gunnae die, withoot really findin oot the big answers. We develop aw they long-winded ideas which jist interpret the reality ay oor lives in different weys, withoot really extending oor body of worthwhile knowledge, about the big things, the real things. Basically, we live a short, disappointing life; and then we die."
Johnny wis a junky as well as a dealer. Ye hud tae go a wee bit further up the ladder before ye found a dealer whae didnae use. We called Johnny "Mother Superior" because ay the length ay time he'd had his habit.
See if it wis up tae me, ah’d git ivray fuckin book n pit thum on a great big fuckin pile n burn the fuckin loat. Aw books are fir is fir smart cunts tae show oaf aboot how much shite thuv fuckin read. Ye git aw ye fuckin need tae ken ootay the paper n fae the telly. Posin cunts. Ah’ll gie them fuckin books …

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393314804, 0393057240

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,670,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible