Trainspotting (1993)

by Irvine Welsh

Series: Trainspotting (1)

"The best book ever written by man or woman...deserves to sell more copies than the Bible."-"Rebel, Inc."

English (70)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (76)
This is a difficult book to rate. Firstly the negatives. I find reading dialect really hard at times - and this was especially difficult with different characters narrating different chapters in different degrees of dialect. There were some words that I still don't know what they were supposed to be. But I think I got the jist.
The violence and some of the scenes were incredibly hard to read. The lives these characters lead is so far removed form my own that I had little point of reference and spend most of the book thinking what a waste of potential. And some of the characters are the least appealing people to ever spend some time with.
Having said all of that, I did finish it and did find myself sort of cheering Renton on as he leaves. He was the most relatable of the band we meet, although at times he did have a tendency to self sabotage. I can't say I left this book feeling that he'll be OK; I find myself hoping he will, but not confident that he will.
I can't recommend that you read it. It is, at times, very tough going. Some of what is described is so cruel, callous and dehumanising that you want to look away. It is thoroughly depressing. Maybe all of that is what makes it worth reading, I don;t know. I'm glad I've got tot he end but I feel no need to ever read this again. ( )
  Helenliz | Jul 3, 2022 |
really funny and enjoyable read for a non-yuropean. strongly recommend for those looking for fiction about drugs and how funny Scottish people are ( )
  rottweilersmile | Feb 28, 2022 |
I'm not really one to write reviews mainly cos I suck at writing them so quickly. It was a good book. I haven't seen the movie, but I plan to do that later this week.

ennuiprayer | Jan 14, 2022 |
  revirier | Dec 13, 2021 |
Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh (1996)
  arosoff | Jul 10, 2021 |

Santikko, SauliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torberg, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeuli, GiulianaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to Anne
The sweat wis lashing oafay Sick Boy; he wis trembling.
"Life's boring and futile. We start oaf wi high hopes, then we bottle it. We realise that we're all gunnae die, withoot really findin oot the big answers. We develop aw they long-winded ideas which jist interpret the reality ay oor lives in different weys, withoot really extending oor body of worthwhile knowledge, about the big things, the real things. Basically, we live a short, disappointing life; and then we die."
Johnny wis a junky as well as a dealer. Ye hud tae go a wee bit further up the ladder before ye found a dealer whae didnae use. We called Johnny "Mother Superior" because ay the length ay time he'd had his habit.
See if it wis up tae me, ah’d git ivray fuckin book n pit thum on a great big fuckin pile n burn the fuckin loat. Aw books are fir is fir smart cunts tae show oaf aboot how much shite thuv fuckin read. Ye git aw ye fuckin need tae ken ootay the paper n fae the telly. Posin cunts. Ah’ll gie them fuckin books …

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393314804, 0393057240

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,100,143 books! | Top bar: Always visible