Phantom Lady by Cornell Woolrich

Phantom Lady (1942)

by Cornell Woolrich

A man accused of murdering his wife after a heated fight needs the testimony of a woman he spent the evening with on a whim in order to be acquitted. She's nowhere to be found. I really love his sentences, his descriptions. Too bad mysteries are never any good. Irish should have applied his skills to a different genre. ( )
  dandelionroots | May 7, 2011 |
Good example of his work. ( )
  Coach_of_Alva | Mar 12, 2011 |

Cornell Woolrichprimary authorall editionscalculated
Benvenuti, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nevins, Francis M.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I answer not and I return no more."
—John Ingall
To Apartment 605, Hotel M———
in unmitigated thankfulness
(at not being in it any more)
The night was young, and so was he.

Cornell Woolrich, all-around tortured soul and gifted suspense writer wrote this noir thriller under the pseudonym William Irish. A man, falsely accused of his wife's murder, searches for the one person who can prove him innocent.

Phantom lady, I was with you for six hours last night, but I can't remember what you look like, or what you wore -- except for that large orange hat.

We sat shoulder to shoulder at a little bar in the east Fifties. We ate dinner together, saw a Broadway show together, shared a cab together.

The bartender, the waiter, the usher, the cab driver -- none of them remembers you. The police say I was home strangling my wife at the moment I met you.

You are the only one who can prove my story -- but I don't know your name, or where you live. And I can't search for you from a jail cell....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:31 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,640,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible