The 9/11 Commission Report: Final Report of the National Commission on… (2004)

by National Commission on Terrorist Attacks, Lee H. Hamilton, Thomas H. Kean

Other authors: Philip D. Zelikow (Afterword)

3,208273,193 (3.56)22
Final report of the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks upon the United States.

Case 3 shelf 6
  semoffat | Aug 6, 2021 |
On this 18th anniversary of the 9/11 disaster, I'd like to recommend reading (or rereading) this historical book. Some government reports require hacking through thickets of bureaucratese; not so in the case of the 9/11 Commission Report. Written in clear, simple English, it gives a fascinating account of not only the attacks, the victims, the terrorists, but also events that led up to that infamous day. The Report won the National Book Award for Nonfiction. Admittedly, a lot more information has been discovered, reported, and published since the Report came out, but for people who were children at the time, and for others who may not recall all the details reported during those days, this is a riveting account.
  elia1168 | Sep 11, 2019 |
  OberlinSWAP | Aug 1, 2015 |
Should be required reading. See Jesse's review for a great summary: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/54435804. ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
It may be unusual that commission reports are readable, but this one is quite well-written and well-structured. I find the last chapters with recommendations for reorganization of the governments security efforts should have been left out and put somewhere else. In the version I have there is annoyingly no index.

I find two major omissions: The engineering report on the structural capability of the World Trade Center. As far as I remember this was intentional left out to a separate later report as the engineering modeling took long time. The other omission is the issue with the interrogation of detainees which may have involved torture. The commission report gets away with this issue by writing on page 146: "Our access to them has been limited to the review of intelligence reports based on communications received from the locations where the actual interrogations take place. [...] Nor were we allowed to talk to the interrogators so that we could better judge the credibility of the detainees and clarify ambiguities in the reporting. We were told that our requests might disrupt the sensitive interrogation process". One may wonder what the "sensitive interrogation process" entails... ( )
1 vote fnielsen | Feb 28, 2012 |

Lehman, John F.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roemer, Timothy J.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, James R.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wallin, Kerstin E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tuesday, September 11, 2001, dawned temperate and nearly cloudless in the eastern United States.

W.W. Norton

4 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393326713, 0393060411, 0393106837, 0393340139

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,382,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible