dismiss

Works and days by Hesiod

Works and days

by Hesiod

The ancient Greeks revered Hesiod, believing he had beaten Homer in a singing contest and that after his dead body was thrown to sea, it was brought back by dolphins. His Works and Days is one of the most important early works of Greek poetry. Ostensibly written by the poet to chide his lazy brother, it recounts the story of Pandora's box and humanity's decline since the Golden Age, and can be read as a celebration of rural life and a hymn to work.… (more)

English (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (3)
I really like Hesiod but didn’t enjoy this translation. The rhyming scheme is forced and the introduction and notes left me wanting. If I’d encountered Hesiod first through this edition, I’d likely have just moved on. For a better translation, see Dorothea Wender’s version of Works & Days that also includes the Theogony. (I gave that edition 5 stars.) ( )
  drew_asson | Mar 22, 2020 |
"2012-10-26 12:00:00"
  ColgateClassics | Oct 26, 2012 |

Hesiodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kassies, WoltherTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stallings, A. E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wender, DorotheaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,696,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible