D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths by…

D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths (1962)

by Ingri D'Aulaire, Edgar Parin d'Aulaire

Beautifully illustrated portrayal of greek myths ( )
  AccyP | Jan 12, 2019 |
This is a comprehensive book of Greek heroes and myths. It includes a map, colorful illustrations, and short explanations of over 40 different stories. I appreciate the way the authors start with the very beginning and describe the relationships between heroes. There was a second edition published with a black cover, but this one has stood the test of time in my classroom for 20 years! This original edition has been around for 50 years! Students love reading this edition! ( )
  hjbush | Jul 12, 2018 |
Summary: this book of mythology shares the stories of different greek gods. It gives a background of each greek god and their powers.

Personal review: I enjoyed looking through this book and reading more about the Greek Gods I have encountered in movies or other reading! ( )
  ayatsexton | Mar 17, 2018 |
Wish I had this as a kid, as a precursor to Hamilton's Mythology. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
OPINION:I personally love anything that is Greek mythology to begin with but this book tells every story of so many heroes and gods I couldn't stop binge reading until I finished it and then start over reading again. This is a book which tells so many great stories of so many great Greek heroes I just love it. Great mythology is the best there is but there aren't enough books that are so vivid as this one. This book has been my SSR ( Silent Seminar Read ) book for so long I couldn't reseist reading. The best part is when this book talks about the gods and all their children it has just made me love myths so much more. I really hope this book get the attention and fame it deserves.

SUMMARY: D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths by: Ingri D'Aulaire starts off telling Gaea and Uranus's stories and tells of hot they became lonely and had 3 types of children. The children were; The Titans, The Hundred Handed Ones and The Cyclops. The titans were very powerful and were the first born, then the hundred handed ones with one hundred hands and heads finally the cyclops with one big eye. Gaea started having an affair with Tartarus she decided to kill Uranus and Ban him from earth only to stay in the sky. Gaea asked her first born Titans to kill him all rejecting but one. The youngest Kronos decided he would destroy Uranus with his own scythe and become ruler of the universe. The titans help Uranus down as he was killed. The rest of the book talks of great heroes and the gods. ( )
  JacobS.BG3 | Mar 17, 2017 |

Ingri D'Aulaireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Parin d'Aulaire, Edgarmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Broderick, MatthewNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Newman, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Poitier, SidneyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turner, KathleenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440406943, Paperback)

No education is complete without a large slice of Greek mythology. And there's no better way of meeting that literary quota than with the D'Aulaires' book. All the great gods and goddesses of ancient Greece are depicted in this big, beautiful classic, lovingly illustrated and skillfully told. Young readers will be dazzled by mighty Zeus, lord of the universe; stirred by elegant Athena, goddess of wisdom; intimidated by powerful Hera, queen of Olympus; and chilled by moody Poseidon, ruler of the sea. These often impetuous immortals flounce and frolic, get indiscreet, and get even. From petty squabbles to heroic deeds, their actions cover the range of godly--and mortal--personalities.

The D'Aulaires' illustrations have a memorable quality: once pored over, they will never leave the minds of the viewer. Decades later, the name Gaea will still evoke the soft green picture of lovely Mother Earth, her body hills and valleys and her eyes blue lakes reflecting the stars of her husband, Uranus the sky. No child is too young to appreciate the myths that have built the foundation for much of the world's art and literature over the centuries. This introduction to mythology is a treasure. (Ages 10 to adult) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:43 -0400)

A re-telling of the myths of ancient Greece for children.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,454,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible