Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph by T. E.…

Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph

by T. E. Lawrence, Malcolm Brown

3,794522,032 (4.04)1 / 180
    Lawrence of Arabia: The Authorized Biography of T.E. Lawrence by Jeremy Wilson (KayCliff)
    Setting the Desert on Fire: T. E. Lawrence and Britain's Secret War in Arabia, 1916-1918 by James Barr (arethusarose)
    arethusarose: covers the politics and policies that led to Lawrence's activity, and work done by others in more detail than I have seen in other books. The author appears to have examined the territory covered in 1916-1918 as it is today
    T. E. Lawrence: The Selected Letters by T. E. Lawrence (BINDINGSTHATLAST)
    BINDINGSTHATLAST: Affordable and robust book of letters.
    Lawrence: The Uncrowned King of Arabia by Michael Asher (amerynth)
    Crusader Castles by T. E. Lawrence (BINDINGSTHATLAST)
    BINDINGSTHATLAST: includes a small selection of letters
    More Great Railway Journeys by Benedict Allen (John_Vaughan)
    John_Vaughan: Chapt 1 for more on Hejaz - Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph, T E Lawrence
    Eden to Armageddon: World War I in the Middle East by Roger Ford (Artymedon)
    1453: The Holy War for Constantinople and the Clash of Islam and the West by Roger Crowley (John_Vaughan)
    T. E. Lawrence: An Arab View by Suleiman Mousa (Sylak)

English (47)  Dutch (4)  French (1)  All languages (52)
Classic text on war with the Arabs, originally distributed privately, then publicly available in 1935 ( )
  nadineeg | Nov 30, 2018 |
I first struggled through this book with great determination at the age of 12, smitten with the legend after having seen the David Lean movie. As Lawrence said himself, "purple prose." Absolutely beautiful. The obsession continued through to adulthood, and I came to embrace and love the real person through The Mint, Oriental Assembly, and some of the many biographies written about him, and mostly by reading his letters. I learned more about the history of the Middle East, became interested in E.M. Forster's writing, Kennington's wonderful portraits, Ur, and explored many other subjects, connections and viewpoints thanks to Lawrence. I read and eventually acquired my copies of Seven Pillars, Oriental Assembly, and T.E. Lawrence by His Friends through a relative I remember only dimly and was not old enough to seriously converse with while she lived. ( )
2 vote laursand | Dec 10, 2017 |
il titolo è, oggi, un po' infelice perchè richiama il genere fantasy o giù di lì. Ma se avete provato un brivido mentre Peter O'Toole, nella sua veste bianca, con la mano tesa grida "Aqaba!" e si lancia al galoppo verso il deserto, non potete rinunciare a questo libro. "El Orens" è ancora con noi. ( )
  icaro. | Aug 31, 2017 |
Difficult book to read through entirely; largely covers the history of the Arab participation and the outcomes of World War 1. My 1935 copy, a gift in 1936 to my father, was an abridged history (Lawrence lost the original manuscript and had destroyed his original notes by then). The insights from a different era are interesting, especially in light of the later formation of Israel and the modernization of the original Palestine. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Jul 3, 2017 |
The first time I read this book was many, many years ago, but I never forgot it. I also watched the 1960’s movie—more than once on TV and once during a special screening in Brazil, after it had been restored; the desert scenes are absolutely gorgeous, breathtaking. Nevertheless, the movie took many liberties and left off many interesting parts of his campaigns. Lawrence’s book is very technical, has lots of details about his campaigns, so if you are not into war history, this is not the book for you; watch the movie instead. ( )
  MrsRK | Nov 21, 2016 |
That is what the book is about, and it could only be reviewed authoritatively by a staff officer who knows the East. That is what the book is about, and Moby Dick was about catching a whale. For round this tent-pole of a military chronicle T.E. has hung an unexampled fabric of portraits, descriptions, philosophies, emotions, adventures, dreams.... He has also contributed to sociology, in recording what is probably the last of the picturesque wars. Camels, pennants, the blowing up of little railway trains...
added by KayCliff | editAbinger Harvest, E Forster (Oct 18, 2014)

The author himself had described Seven Pillars in these terms, in a letter to Charlotte Shaw in 1923:
... it's more a storehouse than a book - has no unity, is too discursive, dispersed, heterogeneous. I've shot into it, as a builder into his yard, all the odds and ends of ideas which came to me during those years ... (Lawrence, 2000: 33)
And he proved himself no indexer's friend in the matter of consistency. He wrote:
Arabic names won't go into English, exactly ... There are some 'scientific systems' of transliteration... I spell my names anyhow, to show what rot the systems are. (Lawrence, 1935: 19)
added by KayCliff | editThe Indexer, Hazel K. Bell (Aug 3, 2009)

Lawrence, T. E.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kennington, EricIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lawrence, A. W.Prefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thesiger, WilfredForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To S.A.

I loved you, so I drew these tides of men into my hands and wrote my will across the sky in stars
To earn you Freedom, the seven pillared worthy house, that your eyes might be shining for me
        When we came.
Death seemed my servant on the road, till we were near and saw you waiting:
When you smiled, and in sorrowful envy he outran me and took you apart:
        Into his quietness.
Love, the way-weary, groped to your body, our brief wage ours for the moment
Before earth's soft hand explored your shape, and the blind worms grew fat upon
        Your substance.
Man prayed me that I set our work, the inviolate house, as a memory of you.
But for fit monument I shattered it, unfinished: and now
The little things creep out to patch themselves hovels in the marred shadow
        Of your gift.
Mr Geoffrey Dawson persuaded All Souls College to give me leisure, in 1919-20, to write about the Arab Revolt.

Author's note, Cranwell, 15 August 1926.
The seven pillars of wisdom are first mentioned in the Bible, in the Book of Proverbs (ix. I)

Preface by A. W. Lawrence.
The story which follows was first written out in Paris during the Peace Conference, from notes jotted daily on the march, strengthened by some reports sent to my chiefs in Cairo. Afterwards, in the autumn of 1919, this first draft and some of the notes were lost. It seemed to me historically needful to reproduce the tale, as perhaps no one but myself in Feisal’s army had thought of writing down at the time what we felt, what we hoped, what we tried. So it was built again with heavy repugnance in London in the winter of 1919–20 from memory and my surviving notes. The record of events was not dulled in me and perhaps few actual mistakes crept in—except in details of dates or numbers—but the outlines and significance of things had lost edge in the haze of new interests.

Introductory Chapter.
Some Englishmen, of whom Kitchener was chief, believed that a rebellion of Arabs against Turks would enable England, while fighting Germany, simultaneously to defeat her ally Turkey.

Introduction : Foundations of revolt.
Some of the evil of my tale may have been inherent in our circumstances

Chapter I.
Tallal had seen what we had seen. He gave one moan like a hurt animal; then rode to the upper ground and sat there a while on his mare, shivering and looking fixedly after the Turks. I moved near to speak to him, but Auda caught my rein and stayed me. Very slowly Tallal drew his head-cloth about his face; and then he seemed suddenly to take hold of himself, for he dashed his stirrups into the mare's flanks and galloped headlong, bending low and swaying in the saddle, right at the main body of the enemy.
Later I was sitting alone in my room, working and thinking out as firm a way as the turbulent memories of the day allowed, when the Muedhdhins began to send their call of last prayer through the moist night over the illuminations of the feasting city. One, with a ringing voice of special sweetness, cried into my window from a near mosque. I found myself involuntarily distinguishing his words: 'God alone is great: I testify there are no gods, but God: and Mohammed his Prophet. Come to prayer: come to security. God alone is great: there is no god--but God.'

At the close he dropped his voice two tones, almost to speaking level, and softly added: 'And He is very good to us this day, O people of Damascus.' The clamour hushed, as everyone seemed to obey the call to prayer on this their first night of perfect freedom. While my fancy, in the overwhelming pause, showed me my loneliness and lack of reason in their movement: since only for me, of all the hearers, was the event sorrowful and the phrase meaningless.

Copy 1169 of a 1,225 limited edition of the 1922 text of Seven Pillars of Wisdom, by T.E. Lawrence. The text was edited from the manuscript in the Bodleian Library and T.E. Lawrence's annotated copy of the 1922 Oxford Times printing. The full text was first published in 1997 by Castle Hill Press in an edition of 752 three-volume sets. Copies 1-45 of this printing are bound in full goatskin, copies 46-225 are bound in quarter-goatskin. Copies 226-1225 are bound in cloth.

The 1922 text is a full 25% longer than the version known to readers since Lawrence's death in 1935.
Camel riding in the desert
can be fun whilst shooting
Turks left in the dirt
white skin and all looting
while blowing up little railway trains
(ironjaw)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385418957, Paperback)

This is the exciting and highly literate story of the real Lawrence of Arabia, as written by Lawrence himself, who helped unify Arab factions against the occupying Turkish army, circa World War I. Lawrence has a novelist's eye for detail, a poet's command of the language, an adventurer's heart, a soldier's great story, and his memory and intellect are at least as good as all those. Lawrence describes the famous guerrilla raids, and train bombings you know from the movie, but also tells of the Arab people and politics with great penetration. Moreover, he is witty, always aware of the ethical tightrope that the English walked in the Middle East and always willing to include himself in his own withering insight.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:06 -0400)

The classic account of the Arab tribes' guerrilla warfare against Turkish forces during World War II and of Lawrence's part in and reflections on that warfare.

Legacy Library: T. E. Lawrence

T. E. Lawrence has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See T. E. Lawrence's legacy profile.

See T. E. Lawrence's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,478,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible