The Case of the Abominable Snowman by…

English (7)  Spanish (1)  All languages (8)
Clever mystery with plenty of twists. I did suspect the guilty party at several points and was strongly tempted to skip to the end & check but refrained. I'm glad I didn't cheat because Blake (or Cecil Day-Lewis to use his real name) did keep me second guessing myself and threw several very plausible red herrings across the trail.

I would recommend it to any fans of the Golden Age mysteries such as those written by Agatha Christie, Margerie Allingham, Josephine Tey, Rex Stout, etc. One thing I like about this style of crime story is it is relatively short without a lot of extraneous stuff about the detective's home life or romantic problems. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 26, 2013 |
Nicholas Blake made the CWA top 100 with his Nigel Strangeways novel The Beast Must Die. The novel begins with crime writer Frank Cairnes hunting down the killer of his infant son, with deadly revenge on his mind. Cairnes is a sympathetic character despite his murderous intent and you end up hoping he succeeds. There’s a largish twist in the middle and a big one at the end. Only the improbability of Cairnes’ success in finding his victim keeps it from getting five stars.

Full review ( )
  westwoodrich | Mar 30, 2013 |

Full review ( )
  westwoodrich | Mar 30, 2013 |
Good mystery by Daniel Day Lewis's father ( )
  brone | Sep 7, 2009 |
What could be more harmless and childish than a snowman? But the menace present from the beginning of the book makes it clear that this is not your ordinary snowman. There is indeed a body inside. Whose body is not revealed until the end of the book, but there's plenty of trouble before then.

Nigel Strangeways is called in by an acquaintance of his wife's. She is disturbed by the behavior of a cat. Strangeways goes along to humor the old lady, but he soon agrees with her that something is seriously wrong at Easterham Manor. And the very next day after he arrives, the body of a young woman is found hanging in her bedroom.

This has all the makings of a Golden Age Stately Home murder - the kind like Poirot or Inspector Alleyn would investigate. But the feeling soon changes to one of the more modern mysteries, with the introduction of sex, drugs, and well, not rock and roll, but definitely Not Quite. It's sort of a bridge between one type of mystery and another. Modern readers might find the beginning and the style a little old fashioned, but I did enjoy it. It is set, in fact, right on the beginning of World War II, so it's not really modern. In fact, I was prepared for revelations of a different sort and thought I knew exactly where the story was going, but I found myself surprised at the end. A great read and a good story. ( )
  cmbohn | Jun 10, 2009 |
FOR EILEEN AND TONY
I am going to kill a man.
The great frost of 1940 was over.
aka The Case of the Abominable Snowman

Determined to find the motorist who killed his son, crime writer Frank Cairnes decides to commit a crime of his own, but his quest takes an unexpected turn, and amateur sleuth Nigel Strangeways, accompanied by Georgia, sets out to separate fact from fiction.
Nigel and Georgia are asked to come in midwinter to Easterham Manor under the pretense of investigating a psychic incident. Shortly after their arrival, the rather notorious, strikingly beautiful, Elizabeth Restorick is found dead by hanging. Nigel uncovers evidence of murder, and he soon finds himself once again working with his friend, Inspector Blount of Scotland Yard.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,084,893 books! | Top bar: Always visible