Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition,…

Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods (2003)

by Sandor Ellix Katz

When I considered fermenting veggies for the pro biotic benefits, I was sure my first try would result in salmonella poisoning. Fortunately, this book calmed my fears with it's matter of fact tone and tangents into the history of fermentation. That the author connects his current passion to his past work in AIDS activism and gay rights is only a plus. Very helpful and inspiring guide into creating one's own "good bugs" and tasty food. ( )
  JoanAxthelm | Aug 4, 2017 |
The flavor, nutrition, and craft of libe-culture foods
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
I have made sauerkraut, kimchi, pickles, etc.... and have many more plans to continue with my fermentation experiments. I love the way the author detail his experiments and encourages the reader to develop his own taste. One of my favorite all time inspirational food preparation books. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
I haven't read this yet, but I've been in touch with the author. When I get in a position to start fermenting my own food, I'm in. Fermented foods are healthy and help boost immune system by providing probiotics. A little fermented food with meals can help with digestion. It's a good thing all around.
  rockinchair | Apr 10, 2012 |
This is one of my favourite cookbooks. The author has an enthusiastic style of writing that gets you involved in the recipe and encourages you to change the recipe to your tastes.

I have bought two fermentation crocks that I use regularly to make kim chi, dill pickles and sauerkraut all from this book and I have also bought this book twice for friends as gifts. ( )
  SubEuclid | Aug 10, 2011 |
Dedicated to Jon Greenberg (1956-1993). This beloved ACT UP comrade first articulated to me the idea of peaceful coexistence with microbes rather than warfare. I honor Jon and all our fellow skeptics, rebels, and iconoclasts who question prevailing wisdom and authority. Believe in the future and keep change fermenting.
This book is my song of praise and devotion to fermentation.
Please don't combine with the 2nd edition, published in 2013. There are enough changes to be considered separate works.

'Wild Fermentation' is the only comprehensive recipe book of fermented and live-culture cuisine ever published. Much more than a cookbook, it is a "cultural manifesto" that explores the history and politics of human nutrition. This revolutionary and unique book will appeal to anyone interested in world food traditions and the vital connection between real food and good health" --Cover, p. 4.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,527,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible