Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition,…

Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods (2003)

by Sandor Ellix Katz

Recently added byWynleth, private library, Fepelus, greenefrog, Roselyne, qsariup, CitySprouts, prunetracy

This is the book referenced by so many in the fermentation world as "The" book to begin with. I'm not sure about that; at least, for practical, clear, no-nonsense recipes, I prefer a different book. However, if you are tantalized by the thought of fermentation, but haven't quite got over the fear of microbes and need to be convinced, this is a terrific book for you. It is not just a book on fermentation, but the heart and soul of the author as he is feeling his way forward after a diagnosis of AIDS. It is a healing book, heartfelt, warm and gentle, somewhat like the process of fermentation itself.

What this book does best is to make the fermentation process accessible to everyone. It keeps it simple. Many types of fermentation processes are covered, such as; vegetables, dairy, grains, breads and brews. About the only thing not covered is aging/fermenting meat.

I had never wanted to attempt my own sourdough until I read this. It inspired me, and now I find that bread making is simple. He releases you from addiction to recipes and encourages experimentation. Use up those bits and pieces leftover from the week in a loaf of bread! Or make a brew from fruit that is on the edge of goodness. I love the ideas for getting the most bang from my food bucks by not wasting anything. Good for my budget, my health and the world at large. This will definitely be a go-to book on my cooking shelves. ( )
  MrsLee | Jul 22, 2018 |
One of the books in my "Essential Library". ( )
  Dithreabhach | May 8, 2018 |
Katz makes the interesting observation that these life-processed foods are on a continuum of decomposition, and it is taste, informed by culture, which determines at what point food becomes “rotten.”

Interesting!
  2wonderY | Dec 19, 2017 |
When I considered fermenting veggies for the pro biotic benefits, I was sure my first try would result in salmonella poisoning. Fortunately, this book calmed my fears with it's matter of fact tone and tangents into the history of fermentation. That the author connects his current passion to his past work in AIDS activism and gay rights is only a plus. Very helpful and inspiring guide into creating one's own "good bugs" and tasty food. ( )
  JoanAxthelm | Aug 4, 2017 |
The flavor, nutrition, and craft of libe-culture foods
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
Dedicated to Jon Greenberg (1956-1993). This beloved ACT UP comrade first articulated to me the idea of peaceful coexistence with microbes rather than warfare. I honor Jon and all our fellow skeptics, rebels, and iconoclasts who question prevailing wisdom and authority. Believe in the future and keep change fermenting.
This book is my song of praise and devotion to fermentation.
Please don't combine with the 2nd edition, published in 2013. There are enough changes to be considered separate works.

'Wild Fermentation' is the only comprehensive recipe book of fermented and live-culture cuisine ever published. Much more than a cookbook, it is a "cultural manifesto" that explores the history and politics of human nutrition. This revolutionary and unique book will appeal to anyone interested in world food traditions and the vital connection between real food and good health" --Cover, p. 4.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,862,827 books! | Top bar: Always visible