Needful Things: The Last Castle Rock Story (1991)

by Stephen King

9,871116639 (3.7)1 / 169
A newcomer opens a shop in Castle Rock, Me., bringing bargains as well as nightmares and disasters to the town.

English (107)  Danish (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (115)
A un moment, j’ai eu vraiment peur que Alan ce soit fait vraiment prendre par Gaunt. Très beau livre, histoire terrifiante et fascinante comme tous les autres livres de Stephen King! ( )
  Capucinette | Oct 25, 2022 |
I read this long ago, way before joining Goodreads. I used to read all of King's books in the early days, and still do read most of them. This one was one of my favorites, if I remember correctly. It was amazing how fairly simple acts could balloon into such drastic consequences. ( )
  MartyFried | Oct 9, 2022 |
well, i finished it. and it was ... ok. like i said in an update, if you can't read it quickly, don't bother. it suffers from king's need to edit, and the repetition of people going to the store, getting something, and doing something because of that (that sentence is a really eloquent attempt at avoiding spoilers, if you can't tell) gets old long before the inevitable, and predictable, conclusion.

i've been sitting here trying to figure out if the ending was predictable to me because i saw the movie. but i saw the movie a really long time ago, and i don't remember much. i remember that i saw it with my sister, who had read the book, and who, as i am also wont to do, spent the whole time telling me how the book differs. she wouldn't tell me about the end, though. i think.

anyway, i remember thinking then that i didn't need to read this book. i was right. ( )
  J.Flux | Aug 13, 2022 |
“There were people who lied for gain, people who lied from pain, people who lied simply because the concept of telling the truth was utterly alien to them . . . and then there were people who lied because they were waiting for it to be time to tell the truth.”
― Stephen King, Needful Things

I still can't believe I enjoyed this book as much as I did but enjoy it I did. What a wonderful read.

I have never been a really big Stephen King fan although I am the first to admit he is a great writer. It is just I prefer different types of books, different genres but I'd never not call him great at writing because he is.

Only the book 'Thinner" has made it into my all time favorite list. Other King books I have enjoyed like "Carrie". Others I have disliked like "Misery".

Needful things is one I fully expected to dislike but the writing was mesmerizing and I became immersed in the story. I think, with King, the books of his I prefer are the books that delve into human nature. Although Misery does that and I disliked it greatly. So who knows..

Also..I do love to read about small towns towering on the brink of insanity. But this was just fascinating. I found that creepy little store truly unforgettable.

4 strong stars. ( )
  Thebeautifulsea | Aug 5, 2022 |
4.5⭐️ ( )
  deannachapman | Sep 15, 2021 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dobner, TullioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiemken, ChristelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ladies and gentlemen, attention, please!
Come in closed where everyone can see!
I got a tale to tell, it isn't gonna cost a dime!
(And if you believe that,
we're gonna get along just fine.)
-Steve Earle
"Snake Oil"
I have heard of many going astray even in the village streets, when the darkness was so thick you could cut it with a knife, as the saying is . . .
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
This is for Chris Lavin,
Who doesn't have all the answers-
Just the ones that matter.
Sure you have.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,427,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible