dismiss

The Last of the Mohicans (1826)

by James Fenimore Cooper

Series: Leatherstocking Tales (2)

The tale of a Mohican brave's struggle to protect two English girls from an evil Huron.

English (100)  Spanish (3)  All languages (103)
An exciting story but so ponderously told. And if he mentioned either of the Munro women's "weakness of their sex" one more time, I was going to scream. The antiquated language made this a difficult and not entirely enjoyable read. ( )
  KABarnes | Jun 30, 2020 |
My best friend and I decided to read this book after watching (and instantly falling in love) with an italian cartoon version of The Last of the Mohicans. We were both really sad to see that there were only few similarities between the two works like names etc. I was really dissapointed because i expected something more. I thought it dragged a lot in some points. But still I want to recommend the italian cartoon to everyone, it's one of my favourite shows ever. It's an awesome adaption of the book and I can say I liked it even more than the movie. Look it up guys! ( )
  marinafv | Feb 15, 2020 |
bez přebalu, slepovaná
  mbdd | Feb 9, 2020 |
While reading this book I thus far must admit, that I like the movie much better than the book. Maybe it'll get better, I hope so, but have not much hope.

And it didn't get much better. Yesterday, during quite a long car drive, I finished listening to this book. Despite that I usually like stories about native people, their struggles, their ways of life.

This book felt heavily outdated. The use of language, the way people treat one another. Usually I can look past that and say 'this was the way to do things then and the way to describe things when the book was written', but in this case it just didn't work.
So.... I'm very happy I'm done with this one. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Nov 8, 2019 |
I am totally in agreement with Mark Twain about James Fenimore Cooper's literary "offenses" ... why describe a man as tall and thin when you can spend pages describing every feature from their eyebrows to their toes. Nary a drop of water nor a tree gets by without a vivid, unneeded description.

This book has a lot of action (though some problematic as a product of the time it was written in...) but it was hard to get past Cooper's writing style to really get into the story. This is one case where I could see how a movie version would be an improvement over the book. ( )
  amerynth | Jul 19, 2019 |
… The book was first published in 1826, and conveys the prejudices of the time. This is primarily an adventure story written from a European viewpoint. The "dusky, savage" Huron kidnappers are the villains, and the Mohicans are stereotypically romanticized as courageous and stoic. However, even complimentary comments sometimes indicate underlying prejudice as when… scout Hawkeye observes to Chingachgook, "You are a just man for an Indian." The term "squaw" is used several times.

Cooper, James FenimoreAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

It was a feature peculiar to the colonial wars of North America, that the tolls and dangers of the wilderness were to be encountered before the adverse hosts could meet.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102073, 1400110807

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,680,440 books! | Top bar: Always visible