The Deadly Percheron by John Franklin Bardin

The Deadly Percheron (1946)

by John Franklin Bardin

Spanish (2)  English (1)  All languages (3)
First impressions: The cover is off-putting, and the title is odd. After having read the book, I understand the choice of the title, but still, I believe a murder mystery involving an amnesiac psychiatrist and a patient that deeply desires to be insane could have been better titled. There are friendly carnival folk, a leprechaun who may or may not exist, and a huge scar on the face of the good doctor - a man who is forced to take on a false identity in order to pick up where he left off.

It's worth reading, and it's a quick read. Seriously, though, judging a book by its cover kept me from reading this for a lot longer than I probably would otherwise. ( )
1 vote cartomancer | Jan 4, 2014 |
to my wife, Rhea
Jacob Blunt was my last patient.

Between 1946 and 1948 john franklin bardin produced 3 quite extraordinary novels, all distinguished by a hallucinatory intensity of feeling and an absorption in morbid psychology remarkable for the period. "the deadly percheron", "the last of philip banter" and "devil take the blue-tail fly" are unlike anything else in modern crime literature. 10/6/87 UK PRIORITY REISSUE

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:55 -0400)

A hypnotic mystery. A tale of psychological horror. A genre-defying classic now available for the first time in eBook edition. "Doctor, I'm losing my mind." So begins John Franklin Bardin's bold and unconventional crime thriller in which psychiatrist George Matthews' attempts to help his patient lead to a dead-end world of amnesia and social outcasts. The Deadly Percheron is at once a murder mystery, poignant love story and, most importantly, an unsettling and hallucinatory dark voyage into memory, madness, torture, and despair.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,998,382 books! | Top bar: Always visible