The Godfather (1969)

by Mario Puzo

Series: The Godfather (1)

The Godfather is an extraordinary novel which has become a modern day classic. Puzo pulls us inside the violent society of the Mafia and its gang wars.The leader, Vito Corleone, is the Godfather. He is a benevolent despot who stops at nothing to gain and hold power. His command post is a fortress on Long Island from which he presides over a vast underground empire that includes the rackets, gambling, bookmaking, and unions. His influence runs through all levels of American society, from the cop on the beat to the nation's mighty.Mario Puzo, a master storyteller, introduces us to unforgettable characters, and the elements of this world explode to life in this violent and impassioned chronicle.… (more)
    The Sicilian by Mario Puzo (longway)
    Gem of the prairie : an informal history of the Chicago underworld by Herbert Asbury (ashleylauren)
    Leopard in the Sun by Laura Restrepo (jordantaylor)
    jordantaylor: Colombian literature that could be described as "The Godfather" re-written by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
    Stiletto by Harold Robbins (ashleylauren)
    The Pack by C. W. Schultz (GeekyRandy)
    GeekyRandy: No real relevance. Both are about gangsters and comes from a neutral POV. "The Pack" is also obviously influenced by "The Godfather". I love both books, perhaps you will too.

English (148)  Spanish (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (163)
I saw the movie first and was super excited when I found out there was a book. It was pretty great how much the movie stuck to the book overall. ( )
  eshea | Jun 27, 2022 |
The trilogy, a great movie classic. The book (which I've finally gotten around to reading after some half-a-century), a cheap potboiler. ( )
  CurrerBell | Jun 7, 2022 |
I LOVED this book! It wasn't what I had thought it would be. It was much better than the movies. ( )
  AngelaLam | Feb 8, 2022 |
The book is exactly like the movie. Dialogue is the same, scene order is the same, bullet hike positions are the same. Coppola just literally made each page into direct script and shot it. ( )
  jamestomasino | Sep 11, 2021 |
This was a good book but difficult to read cuz my ex really liked it and his name is the same as the protagonist lol
it was very readable but the writing wasn't super good, one thing it did use was Free indirect speech à la jane austen which was very cool but otherwise not as elegant as the movie. It was very accurate to the movie though, and easier to understand, and I liked hearing more details about what was going on in everyone's heads. Very tight story, every character serves a purpose (and there are many). ( )
  jooniper | Sep 10, 2021 |

Thompson, Robert J.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wijk, Johan vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Behind every great fortune there is a crime. - Balzac
For Anthony Cleri
Amerigo Bonasera sat in New York Criminal Court No. 3 and waited for justice; vengeance on the men who had so cruelly hurt his daughter, who had tried to dishonor her.

I love you, man, but
for business reasons I must
have you whacked, sorry.
(Carnophile)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,648,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible