The Godfather (1969)

by Mario Puzo

Series: The Godfather (1)

The Godfather is an extraordinary novel which has become a modern day classic. Puzo pulls us inside the violent society of the Mafia and its gang wars.The leader, Vito Corleone, is the Godfather. He is a benevolent despot who stops at nothing to gain and hold power. His command post is a fortress on Long Island from which he presides over a vast underground empire that includes the rackets, gambling, bookmaking, and unions. His influence runs through all levels of American society, from the cop on the beat to the nation's mighty.Mario Puzo, a master storyteller, introduces us to unforgettable characters, and the elements of this world explode to life in this violent and impassioned chronicle.… (more)
    Gem of the prairie : an informal history of the Chicago underworld by Herbert Asbury (ashleylauren)
    The Sicilian by Mario Puzo (longway)
    Stiletto by Harold Robbins (ashleylauren)
    Leopard in the Sun by Laura Restrepo (jordantaylor)
    jordantaylor: Colombian literature that could be described as "The Godfather" re-written by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
    The Pack by C. W. Schultz (GeekyRandy)
    GeekyRandy: No real relevance. Both are about gangsters and comes from a neutral POV. "The Pack" is also obviously influenced by "The Godfather". I love both books, perhaps you will too.

English (163)  Spanish (5)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  German (2)  French (1)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (179)
3.4/5 ( )
  jarrettbrown | Jul 4, 2023 |
Fast paced, violent, everything you want from a mafia story. The only annoyance for me was Johnny Fontane but, will be exploring more of Puzo's catalogue. ( )
  Alin.Llewellyn | Jun 28, 2023 |
I really enjoyed this story. Each chapter follows different characters and tales in the saga that happens, showing the different viewpoints and rounding off the tale. It didn't immediately draw me in, but I found myself swept up into the action as I got further in. Although parts can be quite gruesome, this was a really entertaining read and extremely likable and definitely gives advice and wisdom that can be practiced anywhere in business and life.

3.5 stars. ( )
  funstm | Jun 27, 2023 |
This is the novel that inspired the movie, and was a sensation when published. Puzo has sworn for years that he had no connection with the mafia, and that his book is entirely fictional. If it is, it is a masterpiece of imagination, and the source of many modern idioms, like omerta, "make him an offer he can't refuse", "la cosa nostra" and "the Don". It is divided into books that each is the story of a different character or different era. The first is the classic tale of the Don Corleone, and the war of the families in 1948, and is the one that sets the pace and introduces the characters. There is a book about Johnny Fontane, a singer and actor possibly modeled on Frank Sinatra, about Kay Adams, the WASP girl that Michael Corleone eventually marries, about Lucy Mancini, a lover of Sonny Corelone, the Don's son, who is killed in an ambush in the first book, and about Carlo Rizzi, who marries Connie Corleone. The loose ends are bloodily tied up in the final chapter by Michael Corleone, after the Don's death, and as a prelude to the family's move to Las Vegas. ( )
  neurodrew | May 13, 2023 |
I believe I've said it before, but there's a reason this book is a classic, and it's not just because of the movies. An excellent read! ( )
  MrMet | Apr 28, 2023 |

Thompson, Robert J.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wijk, Johan vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Behind every great fortune there is a crime. - Balzac
For Anthony Cleri
Amerigo Bonasera sat in New York Criminal Court No. 3 and waited for justice; vengeance on the men who had so cruelly hurt his daughter, who had tried to dishonor her.

I love you, man, but
for business reasons I must
have you whacked, sorry.
(Carnophile)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 194,810,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible