Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Tarzan of the Apes

by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Series: Tarzan (1)

3,566972,183 (3.76)1 / 195

English (92)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (97)
I enjoyed reading this early 1900's book. As expected, some of the material was not politically correct. The writer is skilled as it was not laugh at loud, in a bad way, even though a lot of it was ridiculous / absurd. The only complaint I had was with Jane Potter's father, Archimedes. His dialog and moments I think were supposed to be funny, but failed.
1/13/2018; 3,526 members; 3.76 average rating ( )
  mainrun | Feb 18, 2019 |
This is an absolutely ridiculous story, but somehow manages to be charming. Probably because it is well written and well paced, and of course, it is about Tarzan. My favorite part was how Tarzan grew up with the apes, and how Kala loved him and protected him. I was not a fan of the white man’s supremacy theory - the natives are savage cannibals, but slaughtering an entire village because of one white man has gone missing, that is somehow noble and moral... wtf. Sexism abounds, too - women keep fainting, needing to be rescued and treated as property.

But the most ridiculous part is that Tarzan teaches himself to read and write a language he never even heard spoken - out of a couple children’s books and a dictionary. This apparently extends to knowing such well-known jungle words like “mutiny”, “collateral”, “lord”, etc. He is a well-educated, intrinsically moral ape-man - he immediately knows that white men are superior, as soon as he spots them. He is also well-muscled, agile and handsome, Jane immediately swoons in his strong arms.

The story did not quite end as I expected (I don’t remember the movie much), which was a plus. It rescued the story from a two-star rating. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
So many things wrong with this book, like some seriously racist content, a confused view of the flora and fauna of Africa, a fairly annoying heroine, and a serious over-population of cannibals (they would run out of food!) It's still a great, page-turning adventure, and Tarzan remains the ultimate cool loin cloth wearing jungle dude. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
I thought I knew this story very well, and have seen various Hollywood and Disney versions, but I still found myself enjoying this page turner, that still offered some surprises despite all I thought I knew of the story. As I’ve been reading Burroughs over the last few years, I still find myself surprised how many story arc types we take for granted that actually started with him. ( )
  RivetedReaderMelissa | Mar 22, 2018 |
Tarzan of the Apes - Edgar Rice Burrows ****

I always knew Tarzan was based on a book, but I didn’t realize just how many were written, I always assumed it was just a one off publication and the films sort of took over. There were 24 original novels which spawned numerous other books after the death of the author.

I think nearly everyone knows the story of the boy who is raised by jungle apes following the death of his family, how he rises to become their leader, falls in love with Jane and returns to civilization. But I wonder how many people have actually read the source material? Firstly I think most people may be shocked at the level of violence in the books, things aren’t all nice and the fight scenes are fairly graphic, especially when you consider this was written in 1912. Burroughs certainly wasn’t afraid to hold back and you really get a sense of adventure that can be missing from other books of this type.

Of course, with the book being this old you have to view it from the times in which it was written and the outdated view of the world may cause an amount of offense in these times of often misplaced political correctness. If you are able to overlook these themes, swallow the numerous coincidences and unbelievable parts (in particular Tarzan teaching himself to write….) and what you will be left with is a book that is very readable and contains enough content to make probably 3 or 4 full length films. Expect everything that makes a jungle adventure special and different: wild animals, rough terrain, cannibals and desolation. It is easy to see how Tarzan captured the imagination of the times and has remained an iconic figure ever since and is still in print over a century later.

I really did enjoy reading the book, but not enough that I think I will actively seek out the next in the series. If it falls into my lap then I may well have a look, but that’s about it. Well worth a read, just to see when the Legend of Greystoke originated. ( )
  Bridgey | Feb 5, 2018 |

Edgar Rice Burroughsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Erős, LászlóTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fazekas, AttilaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Markkula, PekkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stam, TonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I had this story from one who had no business to tell it to me, or to any other.
Tarzan's grief and anger were unbounded. He roared out his hideous challenge time and again. He beat upon his great chest with his clenched fists, and then he fell upon the body of Kala and sobbed out the pitiful sorrowing of his lonely heart. To lose the only creature in all one's world who ever had manifested love and affection for one, is a great bereavement indeed.
What though Kala was a fierce and hideous ape! To Tarzan she had been kind, she had been beautiful.

Friends with Tantor the
elephant. How can this be?
"Ask not," writes Edgar...
(LeBoeuf)
his parents both dead /
  he grew up in the jungle /
    then met a frenchman

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451524233, Mass Market Paperback)

First published in 1914, Edgar Rice Burroughs's romance has lost little of its force over the years--as film revivals and TV series well attest. Tarzan of the Apes is very much a product of its age: replete with bloodthirsty natives and a bulky, swooning American Negress, and haunted by what zoo specialists now call charismatic megafauna (great beasts snarling, roaring, and stalking, most of whom would be out of place in a real African jungle). Burroughs countervails such incorrectness, however, with some rather unattractive representations of white civilization--mutinous, murderous sailors, effete aristos, self-involved academics, and hard-hearted cowards. At Tarzan's heart rightly lies the resourceful and hunky title character, a man increasingly torn between the civil and the savage, for whom cutlery will never be less than a nightmare.

The passages in which the nut-brown boy teaches himself to read and write are masterly and among the book's improbable, imaginative best. How tempting it is to adopt the ten-year-old's term for letters--"little bugs"! And the older Tarzan's realization that civilized "men were indeed more foolish and more cruel than the beasts of the jungle," while not exactly a new notion, is nonetheless potent. The first in Burroughs's serial is most enjoyable in its resounding oddities of word and thought, including the unforgettable "When Tarzan killed he more often smiled than scowled; and smiles are the foundation of beauty."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:37 -0400)

Este ebook presenta la novela "Tarzn de los monos" con un sumario dinmico y detallado.Tarzn de los monos es la primera de una serie de novelas escritas por Edgar Rice Burroughs acerca del personaje ficticio Tarzn. Esta historia fue publicada por primera vez en la revista pulp All Story Magazine en octubre de 1912 y editada como libro por primera vez en 1914. El personaje result ser tan popular que Burroughs continu la serie en la dcada de 1940 con dos docenas de secuelas.… (more)

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100003, 1400108500

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,109,749 books! | Top bar: Always visible