The Separation by Christopher Priest

The Separation (2002)

by Christopher Priest

4772032,747 (3.78)36

English (14)  French (6)  All languages (20)
Inception : A dream within a dream.
The Separation : Delusions within a delusion.

I completely second this review ( )
  supercoldd | Aug 27, 2015 |
Every time I try to review this I get bogged down in retelling the plot, so I've decided to try something simpler. I like 'alternate history,' I loved Priest's 'The Prestige,' and I was really looking forward to reading this. Ultimately I found it disappointing and confusing. It might be a book that benefits from multiple readings, but there's nothing in it that makes me want to read it again. ( )
  wjohnston | May 7, 2013 |
I gave this a good long chance, but around a hundred pages in I was still completely underwhelmed. I've heard good things about Christopher Priest, so maybe this just isn't the right book for me. On the other hand, maybe he just isn't the right writer for me.

I skimmed a bunch of other reviews, and then the end of the book, and just -- really, it doesn't sound like it does anything particularly interesting. Alternate histories can be fascinating, but it doesn't sound like Christopher Priest ever commits to one idea and runs with it. The cop-out end with the implication that it was all or mostly a hallucination just, ugh. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
In which Christopher Priest continues his obsessions with doubles and unreliable narrators. There's maybe half a really good book here scattered among the various sections/plot-lines, but the other parts drag a bit too much. ( )
1 vote g026r | Nov 25, 2010 |

Christopher Priestprimary authorall editionscalculated
Charrier, MichelleTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Paul Kincaid
The rain was falling steadily on Buxton that Thursday afternoon in March, the town veiled by drifting low clouds, grey and discouraging.

The Separation is a 2002 novel by Christopher Priest. It is an alternate history revolving around the experiences of identical twin brothers during the Second World War, during which one becomes a pilot for the RAF, and the other, a conscientious objector, becomes an ambulance driver for the Red Cross.

Winner of Arthur C. Clarke Award and British Science Fiction Assoc. Award.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,745,568 books! | Top bar: Always visible