The Other Wind by Ursula K. Le Guin

The Other Wind (2001)

by Ursula K. Le Guin

Series: The Earthsea Cycle (6)

English (38)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Bulgarian (1)  All languages (41)
LeGuin's Roke is far more interesting than Hogwarts. She addresses gender and ethnicity with eloquence and emotion. The Earthsea cycle is one of my favorite fantasy series, right up there with the Avalon books by Marion Zimmer Bradley. ( )
  Marjorie_Jensen | Nov 12, 2015 |
The Other Wind
by Ursula K. Le Guin
Harcourt, 2001
ISBN 0151006849 (hardcover), 246 pp.

Review date: August, 2015

Billed as "a new Earthsea novel", Ursula K. LeGuin's The Other Wind (2001) is the sixth, and quite likely the final, entry in the Earthsea Cycle—but I can understand not wanting to label it as such, since the fourth book bore the subtitle "The Last Book of Earthsea" and look what happened after that. But drastic changes occur in this novel, and it seems unlikely that any more will be written—although we fans can always hope for more. For anyone who's followed the series this far, it's a fitting and fairly satisfying end to the series, and especially to the second half of it, following the story that was started in Tehanu and continued in "Dragonfly" (the novella found in Tales from Earthsea) and bringing it to a logical conclusion. New characters, like the village sorcerer Alder, and Kargish Princess Seserakh, are introduced, but established ones are also integral to the tale: Ged, Tenar, Therru, King Lebannen, Iran, members of the Council of Roke, and more show up in this tale, which is sure to please fans.

Alas, as fitting a conclusion to the series as it may be, I personally just didn't find it as enjoyable as the previous books. I can't say that it was a letdown, per se—only that it failed to give the satisfaction I've come to expect. Something of a cross between the first half of the series and the second, it lacked the unadulterated mythical resonance of the first three books and the hard-hitting realism and the emotional depth that I'd come to expect from the second half. That's not to say that these elements weren't there, only that they weren't as pervasive or substantial as I'd have liked. To be honest, it read less like Ursula K. LeGuin and more like a lot of the other fantasy fiction out there, albeit with LeGuin's unique touch raising it above average.

On its own, I would recommend The Other Wind, just probably not very highly. But this book doesn't stand on its own, nor was it meant to: its the conclusion to a series. So if you've made it through the first five books and enjoyed them, you must of course read it, and I feel that it will satisfy most fans of the Earthsea Cycle—just perhaps not as much as hoped or expected.

3 stars: It was good. Technical, conventional, and other errors are rare or nonexistent, and the work stands out among others of its kind. I would be likely to recommend the work to others. Equivalent to a 'B', or above average, grade. ( )
  tokidokizenzen | Aug 17, 2015 |
The final book in the Earthsea series. It started off really well but I was a little disappointed by the end. The conclusion for all the characters happened very fast in a short space of time and I think that left me with a feeling that there was something missing from the story or at least the telling of it. Le Guin took the time to develop the characters well but in some cases the end of their stories was rushed and undetailed. ( )
  nebula21 | Jun 30, 2015 |

First read:
Date: before 2008 (between 2003 and 2005?)
Rating: ?

Second read:
Date: from 16 to 17 August
Rating 3.5*

I'm pretty sure I didn't understand this book back then when I read it the first time. That would explain why my memory of it was mostly blank. I can say that this time, I really liked this book - as of all on the Earthsea series, it was another one I couldn't put down.

And yet, I think something is missing from this one compared to the others of the collection, though I can't quite put my finger on it. Perhaps the multitude of characters makes it less 'intimate'. Perhaps the threat didn't feel as ominous, or the story felt more predictable. Perhaps the conflicts got solved too quickly. Or perhaps the book is just too short...

In any case, I liked the first third of the book the best - I truly cared about Alder's conflict most of all.

Still, like [b:Tehanu|13661|Tehanu (Earthsea Cycle, #4)|Ursula K. Le Guin|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1349048637s/13661.jpg|2902890] grew on me upon rereading, maybe the same will happen with this book and what I 'get' out of it. Time will tell!

something_ | May 1, 2015 |
I started this with great enthusiasm, on a wave of Earthsea excitement having read all the previous books in order over the past month or so. Tehanu and Tales from Earthsea, the two that precede this (at present) final novel were very much my favourites so I hoped that The Other Wind would continue the upward trend.

By and large it does: the first chapter, Mending the Green Pitcher is a joy. The current state of affairs is effectively and pleasantly presented, we visit with Ged (who is minding Ogion's old farm while Tenar & Tehanu assist King Lebannen on Havnor) and are introduced to Alder, a recently bereaved village sorcerer who is having particularly unsettling dreams, dreams that will eventually unsettle the foundations of Earthsea itself.

A large slab of the story takes place at the court of Lebannen, and that's where it came just a tad unstuck for me. I still enjoyed the characters and concepts explored, but it got a bit... untidy.

Finally most everyone choofs off to Roke for a denouement that is excellently done. The history and traditions of dragons, be they winged or not, Kargs, the Pelnish and Archipelagans come together in a most satisfactory manner. (You can tell I'm trying not to drop any major hints, can't you!)

Without shame I admit to tears of mingled happiness and sympathy at the end. And not a few times before that as well. Two scenes come most strongly to mind: the night of dreams, when we are shown the unconscious wanderings of various characters, and this declaration by Tehanu which comes not far from the end (I don't believe it gives anything away but shall label it as a spoiler all the same so you can choose to see it or not) --

"I think," Tehanu said in her soft, strange voice, "that when I die, I can breathe back the breath that made me live. I can give back to the world all that I didn't do. All that I might have been and couldn't be. All the choices I didn't make. All the things I lost and spent and wasted. I can give them back to the world. To the lives that haven't been lived yet. That will be my gift back to the world that gave me the life I did live, the love I loved, the breath I breathed."

I don't think I'll ever look at the stars in the same way again. ( )
  Vivl | Oct 1, 2014 |
But there is more to The Other Wind than that: Le Guin's consistency now becomes revealed as a kind of destiny, a drive towards democracy if you like, an implicit impatience with the highfalutin genealogies such bogus mythologies are compelled to recite. Marvellously, the book contains humour, which is otherwise a kind of universal acid to children's fable: if it is funny, it corrodes everything it touches. Here it actually works. And the real magic now is the magic of writing.
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Nicholas Lezard (Jul 26, 2002)
Love, too, is much more central and important than in the other Earthsea books. The loss that all lovers face, even when they are completely constant and loving, is one of the aching subjects here. In the first few pages of the novel, Ged feels “a sadness at the very heart of things,” and in fact essential loss, essential grief is the main thing that “The Other Wind” is about.... How to address that sadness is this novel’s question
added by melmore | editSalon.com, Donna Minkowitz (Oct 4, 2001)

Ursula K. Le Guinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rikman, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Farther west than west
beyond the land
my people are dancing
on the other wind.

- The Song of the Woman of Kemay
Sails long and white as swan's wings carried the ship Farflyer through summer air down the bay from the Armed Cliffs toward Gont Port.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 044101125X, Mass Market Paperback)

The greatest fantasies of the 20th century are J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings and Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea Cycle. Regrettably, the Earthsea Cycle has not received the fame and sales of Tolkien's trilogy. Fortunately, new Earthsea books have appeared in the 21st century, and they are as powerful, beautiful, and imaginative as the first four novels. The fifth novel and sixth book of the Earthsea Cycle is The Other Wind.

Ursula K. Le Guin has received the National Book Award, five Nebula and five Hugo Awards, and the Newbery Award, among many other honors. The Other Wind lives up to expectations for one of the greatest fantasy cycles. --Cynthia Ward

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:11 -0400)

The sorcerer Alder has the power of mending, but it may have become the power of destruction: every night he dreams of the wall between the land of the living and the land of the dead, and the wall is being dismantled. If the wall is breached, the dead will invade Earthsea. Ged, once Archmage of Earthsea, sends Alder to King Lebannen. Now Alder and the king must join with a burned woman, a wizard of forbidden lore, and a being who is woman and dragon both, in an impossible quest to save Earthsea.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,849,032 books! | Top bar: Always visible