The Other Wind by Ursula K. Le Guin

The Other Wind (2001)

by Ursula K. Le Guin

Series: The Earthsea Cycle (6)

English (47)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Bulgarian (1)  All languages (50)
A good end to the series. The different roles and characters were great, and the explanations of humans vs dragons explained previous plots. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
I don't think anyone who read this far in the series would be particularly surprised by the ending. The hints of where things were headed were strong in [b:The Farthest Shore|13667|The Farthest Shore (Earthsea Cycle, #3)|Ursula K. Le Guin|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388200537s/13667.jpg|1322014], overt in [b:Tehanu|13661|Tehanu (Earthsea Cycle, #4)|Ursula K. Le Guin|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1386924581s/13661.jpg|2902890], and embellished mildly in [b:Tales from Earthsea|13659|Tales from Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #5)|Ursula K. Le Guin|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1309202073s/13659.jpg|65982] though in a more veiled manner. [b:The Other Wind|13658|The Other Wind (Earthsea Cycle, #6)|Ursula K. Le Guin|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1309285821s/13658.jpg|215093] is simply a natural extension of that, though a beautiful one it is. It pleased me immensely to see the conclusion of [b:The Farthest Shore|13667|The Farthest Shore (Earthsea Cycle, #3)|Ursula K. Le Guin|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388200537s/13667.jpg|1322014] here, and I can forgive the ending, if only out of hope for there to be more to rebuild.

Earthesea is a magnificent world, and I adore all the people within it. To have come from the gorgeously crafted [b:A Wizard of Earthsea|13642|A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #1)|Ursula K. Le Guin|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1353424536s/13642.jpg|113603] in all its traditional beauty to the subversive and surprising [b:Tehanu|13661|Tehanu (Earthsea Cycle, #4)|Ursula K. Le Guin|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1386924581s/13661.jpg|2902890] to this - it's perfect. I adored this book, and felt it a proper send-off to the series as a whole. Still, of course, I hope for more.

I loved living in this world, and the care given to it. I loved the dragons, the magical system, the way that the stakes were all too real and felt too keenly. I loved how unforgiving [a:Urusula K. Le Guin] was. What's dead is dead, what's gone is gone. We all make our choices and suffer for it. Hell, I loved Ged dearly in [b:Tehanu|13661|Tehanu (Earthsea Cycle, #4)|Ursula K. Le Guin|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1386924581s/13661.jpg|2902890] and even more in [b:The Other Wind|13658|The Other Wind (Earthsea Cycle, #6)|Ursula K. Le Guin|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1309285821s/13658.jpg|215093]. He's all the stronger for what he went through.

It's a beautiful, staggering series. More authors should learn from it and try to let go. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Following Le Guin’s recent death, I was moved to re-read the first three volumes in this series. I loved them very dearly when I was younger and was beguiled by dragons and wizards. In fact, these were among the stories that started me on a lifetime pathway of fantasy reading.
I was somehow distracted when the later titles 'Tehanu' and 'Tales from Earthsea' and 'The Other Wind' came out, and I simply was never aware of them. After catching up on these titles, I find that the long wait was justified and Le Guin's later additions to the trilogy are a remarkable experience.
"The Other Wind" is beautifully written, with an incredible richness of themes. Life after death, sacrifice, courage, the varieties of love, redemption, and many others weave together time and again. There are no villains in this story, where much of the action takes place in the heart and the mind. Change comes, accepted beliefs are challenged and found to be mistaken, and the truth is a paradox.
Le Guin has an almost zen-like ability to use just enough writing to serve her purpose, and trusts us to fill in the rest ourselves. She does a wonderful job of bringing the cycle to a place where one can see that life in Earthsea will go on whether or not the author continues to tell the story. In her hands, they come to life in a way I can fathom, a way that allows me to believe that their world just might really exist. ( )
1 vote Jawin | Apr 21, 2018 |
"What was broken is made whole."

A great ending to the series. This closes the circle. ( )
1 vote kasyapa | Oct 9, 2017 |
I've only read the first Earthsea book up to now, so it's a bit of a jump to go straight to number six in the series, but it was the only one available from the library. It took me years to get around to reading the first one (I'm talking decades), so I hope I'll find the others and complete the set slightly more quickly than I've managed up to now.

I really enjoyed it - poor Alder and his grief over his dead wife, the lonely lives of King Lebannen and his intended wife, the quiet sad watchfulness of Ged and Tenar. I love the humour and attention to detail in every line and the poetry of the language.

A shiver went down my back when I read "Greed puts out the sun." ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Aug 14, 2017 |
But there is more to The Other Wind than that: Le Guin's consistency now becomes revealed as a kind of destiny, a drive towards democracy if you like, an implicit impatience with the highfalutin genealogies such bogus mythologies are compelled to recite. Marvellously, the book contains humour, which is otherwise a kind of universal acid to children's fable: if it is funny, it corrodes everything it touches. Here it actually works. And the real magic now is the magic of writing.
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Nicholas Lezard (Jul 26, 2002)

Love, too, is much more central and important than in the other Earthsea books. The loss that all lovers face, even when they are completely constant and loving, is one of the aching subjects here. In the first few pages of the novel, Ged feels “a sadness at the very heart of things,” and in fact essential loss, essential grief is the main thing that “The Other Wind” is about.... How to address that sadness is this novel’s question
added by melmore | editSalon.com, Donna Minkowitz (Oct 4, 2001)

Ursula K. Le Guinprimary authorall editionscalculated
beyond the land
my people are dancing
on the other wind.

- The Song of the Woman of Kemay
Sails long and white as swan's wings carried the ship Farflyer through summer air down the bay from the Armed Cliffs toward Gont Port.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 044101125X, Mass Market Paperback)

The greatest fantasies of the 20th century are J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings and Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea Cycle. Regrettably, the Earthsea Cycle has not received the fame and sales of Tolkien's trilogy. Fortunately, new Earthsea books have appeared in the 21st century, and they are as powerful, beautiful, and imaginative as the first four novels. The fifth novel and sixth book of the Earthsea Cycle is The Other Wind.

The sorcerer Alder has the power of mending, but it may have become the power of destruction: every night he dreams of the wall between the land of the living and the land of the dead, and the wall is being dismantled. If the wall is breached, the dead will invade Earthsea. Ged, once Archmage of Earthsea, sends Alder to King Lebannen. Now Alder and the king must join with a burned woman, a wizard of forbidden lore, and a being who is woman and dragon both, in an impossible quest to save Earthsea.

Ursula K. Le Guin has received the National Book Award, five Nebula and five Hugo Awards, and the Newbery Award, among many other honors. The Other Wind lives up to expectations for one of the greatest fantasy cycles. --Cynthia Ward

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:11 -0400)

Haunted by dreams of the dead who seek to invade Earthsea through him, the sorcerer Alder enlists the aid of Ged, a former Archmage, who advises him to find the holiest place in the world, which holds the key to preserving Earthsea.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,522,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible