The Brothers Bishop by Bart Yates

The Brothers Bishop

by Bart Yates

207984,657 (3.94)4

English (8)  German (1)  All languages (9)
Weird, disturbing story that's very well written. I couldn't put it down. ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
I just have to say first that I love Yate’s writing. It makes his stories come alive for me. Now this story is much different from Yate’s other story [Leave Myself Behind]. Here the narrator is a much older gay man whose reserved and quiet. He lives in the beach house he grew up in and teaching at the local school. He’s just fine with this, and then his younger obnoxious brother comes to visit, bringing his boyfriend and his two married friends. Now the drama starts. Relationships get tangled, people do things they shouldn’t. This is a fairly dark novel: Incest, pedophilia, child abuse, and suicide are all present. I wasn’t sure how I felt after finishing this book. I felt kind of lost in a “how do I react” kind of way. But the more it sat with me the more I decided in the end I really liked the story. The writing is incredible and the characters are realistic. Probably not a book for everyone, but recommended if you enjoy Bart Yate’s other books. ( )
  Kassilem | Aug 19, 2013 |
Oh, my goodness, this must be the most depressing gay book I've ever read. It has incest, it has underage sex, it has child abuse, it has suicide – AND NOT IN A GOOD WAY. Readable, but not exactly a laugh a minute. ( )
  phoebesmum | Aug 13, 2011 |
In this heart-wrenching and well written book, Yates esplores very dark themes portraying powerful and sometimes obnoxious characters (they made quite poor decisions!)
Bart Yates has become one of my favorite authors. ( )
  sandburg | Jun 2, 2008 |

Two very different brothers, Tommy and Nathan Bishop, will find their lives forever changed when a powerful secret is revealed, forcing them to confront their dark family history rife with abuse, tragedy, and lies.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,919,688 books! | Top bar: Always visible