The Charlemagne Pursuit by Steve Berry

The Charlemagne Pursuit

by Steve Berry

Series: Cotton Malone (4)

The Emperor's Tomb by Steve Berry (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Cotton Malone, a retired Justice Department operative has more adventures than when on active duty.

English (210)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (213)
A reasonably good action thriller, but seems to get bogged down a bit in all the political machinations. A little hard to follow with a lot going on and a lot of characters.

I appreciate Steve Berry's usual practice of spending a few pages at the end of the book to separate fact from fiction. ( )
  adam.currey | Nov 20, 2018 |
Cotton's latest adventure has him in pursuit of answers about the death of his father, who supposedly went down with the submarine he was commanding when Cotton was 10. The file has always been classified, but Cotton has used one of the favors he's earned from the government due to his recent exploits to get a copy. He (sorta) teams up with a pair of German sisters who believe their father was also on the sub. Back in the states, Cotton's former boss, Stephanie Nelle is working with one of the president's deputy national security advisers to determine who's going around killing people who were involved with the sub back in the 70's.
Berry's books are full of twists and turns and with the exceptions of Cotton and Stephanie, the reader has no idea who is a 'good guy'. This can be confusing at times. I'm not sure why there need to be so many double, triple and quadruple crosses. I think the subject matter is fascinating enough that extra suspense and intrigue scarcely needs to be artificially manufactured. In previous Cotton Malone books, I have enjoyed more the puzzle-clue-historical context portions of the tale than the running-shooting-blowing up museums and libraries parts. This volume had far more action-y stuff, and that made me less enamored of it, even though I find the historical subject matter of a possibly lost advanced civilization existing somewhere in Antarctica. Also, I wasn't a big fan of the ending, about which the least-spoilery thing I can say is that there were deaths that did not seem necessary.
As always, I love Berry's wrap-ups at the end where he explains what parts of his story are true historical facts and which he made up for the story.
I'm probably done reading these for a while, though. ( )
  EmScape | Sep 24, 2018 |
Cotton Malone lost his Dad when he was 10 years old. His father, Forest Malone was the Captain of an experimental 11 man submarine called NA-1. It was lost at sea in 1971. Cotton wanted to find out what had really happened to his Dad. To that end, he contacted the head of the super classified Magellan Billet and his friend Stephanie who directed the group. She sent him secret documents that alluded to the sub having actually been lost in the Antarctic rather than the Artic. In a round about manner, this brought Cotton to the Charlemagne Persuit. Twin German sisters are searching for their father who also was aboard the NR-1 sub, but he was a researcher. He was researching a lost Aryan civilization which he tracked to the Antarctic via a book which was buried with Charlemagne. Meanwhile, a US Navy admiral is tying up loose ends as he pursues an appointment to head the Joint Chief of Staffs. Cotton and company seem to be among those loose ends.

An enjoyable fast paced read with many twists and turns. ( )
  Raspberrymocha | Jun 8, 2018 |
A mysterious manuscript discovered in the tomb of Charlemagne sends Cotton Malone on a perilous international quest that takes him and twin sisters with their own agenda from an ancient German cathedral to the harsh, unforgiving world of Antarctica in pursuit of the truth about the death of his father on a classified sub mission beneath Antarctica. ( )
  OldFrenchie | Apr 19, 2018 |
When he was ten, Cotton Malone's father, Navy Captain Forrest Malone, was lost in a submarine accident. The body was never recovered. When Cotton is approached by a mysterious woman named Dorothea Lindauer she tells him the real truth. His father actually died on a classified mission in Antarctica along with Dorothea's father who was also on board. After requesting the classified file from former boss, Stephanie Nelle, Cotton teams with Dorothea and her twin sister, Cristl Faulk, to find out what really happened back in 1971. He's looking for his father, but they are looking for some sort of evidence that there was an advanced society that has now disappeared. Meanwhile Stephanie and deputy national security advisor, Edwin Davis, team up to try to find out why several of the men who knew about that mission are dying in different ways.

The writing was choppy and the action moved from one subplot to another. There are four or five separate plot lines going on, none of them compelling. The characters are neither likable nor their motivations believable. Charlemagne didn't have much to do with the story and I believe he was only used to provide an interesting title. I've read and enjoyed the previous three books in the Cotton Malone series so I hope this was just a bad one. Overall, I'm glad this underwhelming and tiresome book is over.
  Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |

Steve Berryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ostrop, BarbaraÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Study the past, if you would divine the future.
--Confucius
The Ancient Masters were subtle, mysterious, profound, responsive.
The depth of their knowledge is unfathomable.
Because it is unfathomable, all we can do is describe their appearance.
Watchful, like men crossing a winter stream. Alert, like men aware of danger.
Courteous, like visiting guests. Yielding like ice about to melt.
Simple, like uncarved blocks of wood.
-- Lao-Tzu (604 BCE)
He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind.
-- Proverbs 11:29
For Pam Ahearn and Mark Tavani, Dream makers
November 1971
The alarm sounded and Forrest Malone came alert.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Steve Berry's book The Charlemagne Pursuit was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,142,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible