dismiss

Jurassic Park [1993 film] (1993)

by Steven Spielberg (Director), Michael Crichton (Screenwriter), David Koepp (Screenwriter)

Other authors: Richard Attenborough (Actor), Laura Dern (Actor), Martin Ferrero (Actor), Jeff Goldblum (Actor), Samuel L. Jackson (Actor)6 more, Wayne Knight (Actor), Joseph Mazzello (Actor), Sam Neill (Actor), Bob Peck (Actor), Ariana Richards (Actor), John Williams (Composer)

Series: Jurassic Park Movies (1), Jurassic Park

A wealthy entrepreneur invites a top paleontologist, a paleobotanist, a mathematician/theorist, and his two eager grandchildren to visit his secret island theme park featuring living dinosaurs created from prehistoric DNA.

Jurassic Park (1993)

Samuel L. Jackson – Arnold
Martin Ferrero – Gennaro
Bob Peck – Muldoon
BD Wong – Wu

Screenplay by and Michael Crichton and David Koepp, based on the novel (1990) by Michael Crichton
Directed by Steven Spielberg

Universal Studios, 2006. Colour. 121 min. 5.1. 1.85:1. Bonus: The Making Of (48:57).

===================================

Malcolm: What have they got in there, King Kong?

Yes, it is better than the book. True, the tone is rather lighter, the background is much sketchier, and the characters are almost comically simplified: Nedry is a buffoon, Hammond a Santa Claus, Malcolm a chatty womaniser. On the other hand, the storytelling is much tighter, the action is spectacular without being too much or too gruesome, the disturbing undercurrent about meddling with nature is retained, and the visual side is, of course, absolutely breathtaking. Dinos have never looked better on the screen, not even in the sequels. The scenes with T-Rex as a car lover and raptors as the kitchen help are well-deserved classics of action and suspense. The locations and the production design could not have been more attractive, either. The cast is very nearly perfect. One can hardly imagine John “spared no expense” Hammond or Ian Malcolm the “chaotician” played by anybody else. Alan Grant is a colourless chap in the book, but Sam Neill imbues him with a good deal of charm on the screen. Wayne Knight’s beautifully obnoxious performance as Dennis “don’t get cheap on me” Nedry is the standout among supporting players. Spielberg was just the right man to tell that story with the grandeur it deserves. So he did. The result is a perfect movie that improves on a fascinating but flawed book. A spectacle of epic proportions, yet something more than mere spectacle. A monster movie, but one with a difference, much like another Spielberg masterpiece from olden days. ( )
  Waldstein | Apr 1, 2020 |
The first and still the best. Very enjoyable film. The bits I love is the sheer pleasure of the main characters as they see for real creatures they have only ever imagined - even if it all goes wrong. And of course the iconic roar of the T Rex over the bones at the end. I can still remember my horror when Bob Peck dies the first time I watched it. Loved him in "Edge of Darkness". ( )
1 vote infjsarah | Mar 4, 2017 |
I re-watched this a few months ago and should have reviewed it back then. But I kept putting it off because I wanted to include comments about the extras, but then I dragged my feet and eventually ran into problems. So I'm finally just going ahead and reviewing it.

A synopsis feels a little unnecessary, but I'll include a short one anyway: A billionaire invites several people to his not-yet-open theme park (or is forced to invite them – the lawyer is there because a worker's family is suing and there are now questions being asked about how safe the park really is). Amazingly, the park includes real, live dinosaurs. Unfortunately, the park's tech geek decides to make a little extra money by stealing and selling some of the park's dinosaur embryos. Things go wrong, and a bunch of the dinosaurs accidentally get free, putting the lives of everyone on the island in danger.

Listening to the audiobook version of Jurassic Park made me want to re-watch this movie. The overall framework was very similar to the book, but in a lot of ways it was very different. Hammond was portrayed less like a slick salesman and more like a naive idealist – a good deal more likeable than he was in the book. Malcolm and Lex were both less annoying (although still annoying). Grant and Ellie were turned into a couple, and Grant was portrayed as being much less comfortable with kids than he was in the book. The story was streamlined and, after a certain point, completely changed. To my mind, it was all for the better – the movie was much more enjoyable than the book and had aged significantly better.

This even applied to the special effects. For the first time that I could recall, I noticed the slight jerkiness in the larger dinosaurs' movements but, overall, the movie looked really good. There was still that sense of wonder when Grant and Ellie saw their first dinosaurs on the island, and the T. rex and Velociraptors looked great. And I still want to own an animatronic Velociraptor, even though I have no idea where I'd keep it.

The movie was, overall, simpler than the book, but that wasn't a bad thing. I enjoyed re-watching it, and I smiled a little, thinking of how much it scared me when I was younger – it was the first “scary” movie my parents let me watch, primarily because I was a wannabe paleontologist who was fascinated by Spielberg's dinosaurs. It's now over 20 years old, and its dinosaur scenes still make me feel like an excited kid, even knowing that the T. rex's mouth is probably wrong and that at least some of the dinosaurs probably would have had feathers. I'd still recommend it over Jurassic World.

The extras were almost all interesting, but there was so much to watch that my attention wandered. Then my player forgot where I'd last paused, and I just gave up. Even so, it was nice seeing the planning that went into creating the dinosaurs (the animatronics, models, and CGI elements) and making them believable.

Extras:

- "The Making of Jurassic Park"

- Early pre-production meetings

- Location scouting

- Phil Tippett Animatics: Raptors in the kitchen - I watched this before attempting to watch any of the other extras. This made for a bizarre experience, because it included absolutely no context - it looked like some kid's weird low-budget Jurassic Park scene. The thing I found most interesting was that, at this point in the planning stages, the Velociraptors were going to have flickering forked tongues, like snakes.

- And apparently some DVD-ROM features that I had no interest in trying to look at. Anything I have to stick the disc into my computer to see might as well not exist.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
1 vote Familiar_Diversions | Aug 6, 2016 |
A dinosaur theme park has real dinosaurs, and nothing could possibly go wrong.

Fun. You have to turn your brain off, but that's okay; you don't need your brain to enjoy watching people get eaten by dinosaurs.

Concept: B

Neill, SamActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Peck, BobActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Richards, ArianaActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, JohnComposersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Worker in Raptor Pen: Everybody, heads up! Heads up! Keep clear! Keep it clear! Okay, down! Andale, si! Vamonos. Keep it goin'! Come on! That's good, stay! Slow it down. No lo vayan a tirar! Cuidado! Traigala, traigala!
John Hammond: All major theme parks have delays. When they opened Disneyland in 1956, nothing worked!

Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but, John, if The Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists.
Dr. Alan Grant: T-Rex doesn't want to be fed. He wants to hunt. Can't just suppress 65 million years of gut instinct.
[Ellie and Muldoon find Malcolm injured at the scene of the T-Rex attack]

Dr. Ian Malcolm: Remind me to thank John for a lovely weekend.
Dr. Alan Grant: [loading a rifle] OK, it's just the two Raptors, right?

[to Ellie]

Dr. Alan Grant: You're sure the third one's contained?

Dr. Ellie Sattler: Yes, unless they figure out how to open doors.
Lex: What are you and Ellie gonna do now if you don't have to pick up dinosaur bones anymore?

Dr. Alan Grant: I don't know. I guess... I guess we'll just have to evolve too

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,121,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible