Dances with Wolves

by Michael Blake

Series: Dances With Wolves (1)

Ordered to hold an abandoned army post, John Dunbar found himself alone, beyond the edge of civilization. Thievery and survival soon forced him into the Indian camp, where he began a dangerous adventure that changed his life forever. Relive the adventure and beauty of the incredible movie, DANCES WITH WOLVES.… (more)

English (25)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (29)
I have conflicting ideas about this novel. It is a fast, dramatic, and perhaps even provides a well intentioned perspective on how Native America has been treated. At the same time, this work is deeply problematic. While the entire work is a fantasy, I marvel at the arrogance at the heart of the novel--that a regular army solider would rise up in one season to become one of the most respected Comanche--a person on the same standing as shaman and chief. The ideas about assimilation are complex and the novel does more than the film, but this central premise of the novel is disturbing. To be more charitable, maybe the mass audience needed a white person to be the savior and to tell the story in order to make it interesting and relatable. For drawing attention to one of America's darkest histories, the novel does well--to imply that an average outsider can integrate and then lead the tribe is absurd. Can we imagine a novel where a Native American wonders into an American camp, and then in the matter of months is advising Washington and leading the war against the British? Very worth reading, but absolutely essential that the reader unpacks the message more deeply. I hope this is the entry point for others to learn the history of how Native America was cheated and plundered. ( )
  ProfH | Sep 7, 2021 |
Another memory triggered by postings here on GR.

I remember the 1990 film better than the 1988 book, so I'm not going speak to the book. I also remember there being some remarks later about the story being a ripoff of the 1970 film A Man Called Horse — remarks I disagreed with because I found that earlier film to be derogatory Hollywood BS. Inculcated with BS as the townies were(are) though, they ate it up. ( )
  LGCullens | Jun 1, 2021 |

The book was actually written with a view to making a film out of the story, which is why the film cleaves more closely to the original plot than almost any other adaptation. The biggest difference is that the Good Indians are Comanche in the book but Sioux in the film, apparently for production reasons. I found the prose pretty clunky, especially in the early chapters, but it is a mercifully quick read. ( )
  nwhyte | May 17, 2021 |
What can I even say? Anything I write will undoubtedly be inadequate.

I first saw the movie as a teenager, and as someone who loves westerns (and had a crush on Kevin Costner) immediately fell in love with the movie. The plot. The characters. The story.

Having just discovered that the movie I love to this day is also a book, I was thrilled. I knew it wouldn't be bad. But I could only hope to love it as much as (if not more than) the movie.

I'm pleased to say that even though it made me cry just like the movie I have finished the book feeling not only that it was better than the movie, but almost like I was immersed in the story for the very first time.

If you have seen the movie, read the book. If you haven't seen the movie, watch it. The story of Dances with Wolves will never get old. ( )
  book_lady15 | Apr 3, 2020 |
Wow, where to begin... I guess first I will say that I was very timid to read this book because usually when a person is in love with a film as much as I am in love with this book's film and then read the book after seeing said film they end up hating one or the other. However that was actually the complete opposite in this particular case. This book actually delved deeper into the amazing story crafted by the film and the two entities are nearly 100% true to each other. Only subtle changes separate the 2 stories. It's almost as if reading this book gives you a behind-the-scenes and more in-depth look at the character's thoughts, emotions and feelings that somehow makes you appreciate both the book and the movie even more!
Although I had deeply wished that the ending portions of the film were simply a fabrication of Hollywood drama, I found out that they were actually from the book itself and at some points were much more horrific and heart wrenching than the movie actually shows. Nevertheless even with tears streaming down my face I can still honestly say that I absolutely loved reading this book and will keep it on my shelf to read again another day. I love this story wholeheartedly and will keep it safe for future generations of my family to read and enjoy. I HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone! ( )
  SumisBooks | Dec 2, 2017 |
Lieutenant Dunbar wasn't really swallowed.
Novel

UNLESS HE GAVE UP THE PAST, HE COULD NEVER HAVE A FUTURE

An ex-civil war soldier, released for mental instability reports to the Cavalry as his next assignment.
 When the drunken major orders Lieutenant John Dunbar to an abandoned army post,t he war-wear soldier suddenly found himself alone, wondering what had happened to the garrison he was to report to. He found himself beyond the edge of Western civilization, with only a wolf and some roving Comanches for company.

Thievery and survival soon forced Dunbar into the Indian camp, where he began a dangerous adventure that changed his life forever - and earned him his Indian name Dances With Wolves.
Each day in the wilderness, Dunbar became more Indian to survive, learning the ways of a proud and glorious people. But when his past came back to haunt him and he was faced with the greatest decision of his life, Dunbar discovered where his true loyalties lay ...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,161,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible