Tales from Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan

Tales from Outer Suburbia (2008)

by Shaun Tan

941919,255 (4.38)88

English (86)  German (3)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (92)
Some of these stories feel satisfyingly self-contained; some feel like mysterious excerpts from much larger narratives. Shaun Tan varies his illustration style in each story: some are in color, some are in black and white. One is influenced by the style of Japanese scrolls and another looks like a woodcut. Overall, the collection is haunting and mysterious. ( )
  Katya0133 | Apr 1, 2016 |
This book was amazing! This author was so brilliant in the design and layout of the book, and he is an amazing author. This was a really touching story of a young boy and his imagination. The boy's imagination makes an ordinary everyday suburban life magical. This book was set in Australian suburbs, and it has 15 short stories. Some of them were funny, some cute, and some even hauntingly real. This would be a great book for older students, especially in middle school. I know that in Middle School you do an entire unit on short stories, and this book would be amazing for that. The illustrations are a mix of charcoal, ink, pen, pastel, and colored pencil.
Genre: Realistic fiction, for the fantasy aspects are apart of the kid's imagination. ( )
  epatt14 | Mar 4, 2016 |
Amazing illustrations and fanciful stories that make you look at what you think you know but with everything skewed. Gentle digs at what we take for granted and how it gets incorporated into the "new" normal so we no longer think about it as being strange or frightening. Makes me think of how we accept the terrible shootings at schools and how we seem to accept them as the new normal. But also stories of hope and grace which are available to us if we really look at things in a in a new way, and if we don't lose our sense of wonder at the beauty of the world. ( )
  dallenbaugh | Oct 22, 2015 |
Strange and beautiful, with marvelous attention to detail and design, from the table of contents (a stamp for each story) to the endpapers to the art and typography for each story.

Reminded me of many other books and authors while being completely unique: Chris Van Allsburg (The Mysteries of Harris Burdick), David Wiesner (Tuesday), Nick Bantock (Griffin & Sabine), Emily Gravett (Meerkat Mail), Oliver Jeffers (The Way Back Home), Davy Rothbart (Found Magazine).

"And then there is the letting go as your muscles release, your lungs exhale, and the backwash of longing leaves behind this one image on the shore of memory: a huge reindeer on your roof, bowing down." (The Nameless Holiday, 71) ( )
  JennyArch | Jun 28, 2015 |
Creative, unorthodox, spellbinding. Loved it. ( )
  ChristianR | Jun 1, 2015 |
Jurybegründung
"...Mit Geschichten aus der Vorstadt des Universums lädt Shaun Tan die Leser ein zur Begegnung mit dem Alltäglichem und mit dem Phantastischem in einer ganz eigenen fiktionalen Welt und zeigt ihnen, wie Literatur „funktioniert“. Eike Schönfeldt hat die poetische Kraft und den freundlich-optimistischen Ton von Tans Texten überzeugend ins Deutsche übertragen und uns die Erzählungen in ihrer ganzen Schönheit zugänglich gemacht."

Contains

To Paul, (who always enjoys a good expedition) Perth, W.A.
When I was a kid, there was a big water buffalo living in the vacant lot at the end of our street, the one with the grass no one ever mowed.

Shaun Tan follows THE ARRIVAL with a collection of off-the-wall tales combined with his genius illustrations in a unique hybrid format that will build on our current success.

An exchange student who's really an alien, a secret room that becomes the perfect place for a quick escape, a typical tale of grandfatherly exaggeration that is actually even more bizarre than he says... These are the odd details of everyday life that grow and take on an incredible life of their own in tales and illustrations that Shaun Tan's many fans will love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:15 -0400)

Fifteen illustrated short stories, some humorous and some haunting, set in the Australian suburbs.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,643 books! | Top bar: Always visible