Tales from Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan

Tales from Outer Suburbia (2008)

by Shaun Tan

English (84)  German (3)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (90)
Amazing illustrations and fanciful stories that make you look at what you think you know but with everything skewed. Gentle digs at what we take for granted and how it gets incorporated into the "new" normal so we no longer think about it as being strange or frightening. Makes me think of how we accept the terrible shootings at schools and how we seem to accept them as the new normal. But also stories of hope and grace which are available to us if we really look at things in a in a new way, and if we don't lose our sense of wonder at the beauty of the world. ( )
  dallenbaugh | Oct 22, 2015 |
Strange and beautiful, with marvelous attention to detail and design, from the table of contents (a stamp for each story) to the endpapers to the art and typography for each story.

Reminded me of many other books and authors while being completely unique: Chris Van Allsburg (The Mysteries of Harris Burdick), David Wiesner (Tuesday), Nick Bantock (Griffin & Sabine), Emily Gravett (Meerkat Mail), Oliver Jeffers (The Way Back Home), Davy Rothbart (Found Magazine).

"And then there is the letting go as your muscles release, your lungs exhale, and the backwash of longing leaves behind this one image on the shore of memory: a huge reindeer on your roof, bowing down." (The Nameless Holiday, 71) ( )
  JennyArch | Jun 28, 2015 |
Creative, unorthodox, spellbinding. Loved it. ( )
  ChristianR | Jun 1, 2015 |
I have no doubt this is five-star genius. I don't think I'd share it with preschoolers, but everyone else who is interested in literature or art that has no cliches and fulfills no expectations should explore this. I love: ate 'gingerbread crows' and drank 'hot pomegranate juice tart as a knife.' It reminded me a bit of the very best of Terry Pratchett, a tiny bit, as it looks at conventions about 90 degrees off true. But I'm not going to give it five stars, because, I have to be honest, I didn't love it that much. Admire, yes - enjoy, not quite.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Painful, haunting beauty. An illustrated book for adults wiþ several very short tales in poetic prose. Several open endings. My own ten years old boy is loving it too. ( )
  leandrod | Feb 10, 2015 |
"...Mit Geschichten aus der Vorstadt des Universums lädt Shaun Tan die Leser ein zur Begegnung mit dem Alltäglichem und mit dem Phantastischem in einer ganz eigenen fiktionalen Welt und zeigt ihnen, wie Literatur „funktioniert“. Eike Schönfeldt hat die poetische Kraft und den freundlich-optimistischen Ton von Tans Texten überzeugend ins Deutsche übertragen und uns die Erzählungen in ihrer ganzen Schönheit zugänglich gemacht."

To Paul, (who always enjoys a good expedition) Perth, W.A.
When I was a kid, there was a big water buffalo living in the vacant lot at the end of our street, the one with the grass no one ever mowed.

Shaun Tan follows THE ARRIVAL with a collection of off-the-wall tales combined with his genius illustrations in a unique hybrid format that will build on our current success.

An exchange student who's really an alien, a secret room that becomes the perfect place for a quick escape, a typical tale of grandfatherly exaggeration that is actually even more bizarre than he says... These are the odd details of everyday life that grow and take on an incredible life of their own in tales and illustrations that Shaun Tan's many fans will love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:15 -0400)

Fifteen illustrated short stories, some humorous and some haunting, set in the Australian suburbs.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Tales From Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,877,947 books! | Top bar: Always visible