Tales from Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan

Tales from Outer Suburbia (2008)

by Shaun Tan

839None10,885 (4.4)82

English (77)  German (3)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (83)
Strange and wild and wonderful. Reminded me strongly of the effect of reading The Mysteries of Harris Burdick. ( )
  Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |
This is like a short story version of The Mysteries of Harris Burdick. You won't believe where some of these tales take you! ( )
  MelissaZD | Jan 1, 2014 |
Late last year, finishing up my challenge, I picked up “The arrival” at the library on a whim, and it ended up being one of my top reads for the year. This year it’s happened again. It’s clear I need more Shaun Tan in my life.

This book ever so gently explores a both utterly strange and strangely familiar middle class suburban landscape. It’s absurd. It’s poetic. It’s stylistically marvelous and artistically gorgeous. It’s also, for lack of a better word, friendly. A man in a diver’s suit gets help to get where he’s going. Two brothers set out on an expedition to the missing page of the city map. Lost scraps of bad poetry starts to bundle together. A blind reindeer lands on your roof, ready to steal your most precious things. Stick figures watch you from behind the bus stops.

As if this isn’t enough: my two year old daughter loves the art of this book too. And Shaun Tan also illustrates all books by the marvelous Kelly Link. I need to own this and read a thousand times. ( )
1 vote GingerbreadMan | Dec 30, 2013 |
This 15 short story collection is filled with random nonsense. However, some of the nonsense was entertaining. All the stories were peculiar and fantasy-based and carried a feeling of - think of something/anything bizarre and mold it into a flowing story. I'm sure we can all think of something bizarre, but it takes an author like Tan to put it together and oddly - make some sense. This is great for a short diversion or break from mainstreamed books. (3.75/5)

Originally posted on: Thoughts of Joy ( )
  ThoughtsofJoyLibrary | Aug 12, 2013 |
If I was the sort of person who forced books upon people, I would mail this to D in a heartbeat. It's eerie and disorienting and beautiful in very quiet ways. The illustrations remind me a lot of Quint Buchholz (the random german painter whose postcards I collect). It's about traditions and homes and comfort, I think.
  omnia_mutantur | Aug 3, 2013 |
Jurybegründung
"...Mit Geschichten aus der Vorstadt des Universums lädt Shaun Tan die Leser ein zur Begegnung mit dem Alltäglichem und mit dem Phantastischem in einer ganz eigenen fiktionalen Welt und zeigt ihnen, wie Literatur „funktioniert“. Eike Schönfeldt hat die poetische Kraft und den freundlich-optimistischen Ton von Tans Texten überzeugend ins Deutsche übertragen und uns die Erzählungen in ihrer ganzen Schönheit zugänglich gemacht."

Contains

To Paul, (who always enjoys a good expedition) Perth, W.A.
When I was a kid, there was a big water buffalo living in the vacant lot at the end of our street, the one with the grass no one ever mowed.

Shaun Tan follows THE ARRIVAL with a collection of off-the-wall tales combined with his genius illustrations in a unique hybrid format that will build on our current success.

An exchange student who's really an alien, a secret room that becomes the perfect place for a quick escape, a typical tale of grandfatherly exaggeration that is actually even more bizarre than he says... These are the odd details of everyday life that grow and take on an incredible life of their own in tales and illustrations that Shaun Tan's many fans will love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:25 -0400)

Fifteen illustrated short stories, some humorous and some haunting, set in the Australian suburbs.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Tales From Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,505,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible