Tales from Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan

Tales from Outer Suburbia (2008)

by Shaun Tan

English (88)  German (3)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (94)
Thanks to Jen Campbell over on BookTube I was turned onto the magic that is Shaun Tan. Thus far, I've only read one of his books but I already know I'm going to have to READ ALL THE THINGS. (Note: I've just picked up two more and put another one on hold.) Until that day, however, here's a review of Tales from Outer Suburbia. :-)

You guys know how much I love all things creepy and dark. You also know that 2016 has turned out to be the year of the graphic novel for me. So it's no wonder that Shaun Tan is right up my alley. Tales from Outer Suburbia is a collection of short stories and illustrations of a typical suburban neighborhood turned on its head. Think The Burbs meets Home and you're in the right neighborhood. (Didn't even plan that little pun out. You're welcome.) It was his art style that caught my attention but his writing is really haunting and beautiful. It's also super snarky with political undertones. His "style" is a mixture of fine line drawing in pencil, bold paints, watercolor, and just plain unique which is why I feel like he can't really be pigeonholed into one genre. From the inside cover to the very last page this book is full to bursting with creepy, weird, and beautiful art with short stories to match. Some of the pages have no words at all which I've learned is one of his fortes so get excited for that in the near future. XD If you're a fan of Grimm's Fairy Tales or Neil Gaiman then this would very likely appeal to you. This was a definite 10/10 for me. ( )
  AliceaP | Sep 23, 2016 |
2015 Reading Challenge #12: A book of short stories.
"To each reader
they will whisper
something different
something joyful
something sad
truthful absurd."

Surrealismo, belleza y oscuridad. Esas son las palabras que me vienen a la mente para describir Tales from Outer Suburbia.

Esta antología se encuentra conformada por 15 cuentos cortos, escritos e ilustrados por el mismo Shaun Tan.

Las ilustraciones son maravillosas, con un estilo que me recuerdan un poco al arte de Tim Burton por su aspecto infantil a la vez que oscuro, pero que aun así es innovador y creativo. Sin embargo, esas cualidades no las demuestra de igual manera en su escritura.

Mientras que "Distant Rain", "Undertow", "Grandpa’s Story" y "Stick Figures" me parecieron geniales, algunas otras de las historias pecan de simplistas, sin mayor motivo aparente que el de servir de excusa para poder colocar mas —hermosas— ilustraciones.

Aun así es una obra de arte que vale la pena comprar (el hardcover es una belleza), aunque sea mas por su valor visual que por el de sus textos.

PD: Puedes hacer click en el tag de spoiler para ver la calificación individual de cada una de las historias.The Water Buffalo: 2 estrellas.
Eric: 2 estrellas.
Broken Toys: 3 estrellas.
Distant Rain: 5 estrellas.
Undertow: 4 estrellas.
Grandpa’s Story: 4 estrellas.
No other country: 2 estrellas.
Stick Figures: 4 estrellas.
The nameless holiday: 1 estrella.
The Amnesia Machine: 1 estrella.
Alert but not alarmed: 3 estrellas.
Wake: 2 estrellas.
Make your own pet: 2 estrellas.
Our expedition: 2 estrellas.
Night of the turtle rescue: 1 estrella.

Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
I have no doubt this is five-star genius. I don't think I'd share it with preschoolers, but everyone else who is interested in literature or art that has no cliches and fulfills no expectations should explore this. I love: ate 'gingerbread crows' and drank 'hot pomegranate juice tart as a knife.' It reminded me a bit of the very best of Terry Pratchett, a tiny bit, as it looks at conventions about 90 degrees off true. But I'm not going to give it five stars, because, I have to be honest, I didn't love it that much. Admire, yes - enjoy, not quite.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Some of these stories feel satisfyingly self-contained; some feel like mysterious excerpts from much larger narratives. Shaun Tan varies his illustration style in each story: some are in color, some are in black and white. One is influenced by the style of Japanese scrolls and another looks like a woodcut. Overall, the collection is haunting and mysterious. ( )
  Katya0133 | Apr 1, 2016 |
This book was amazing! This author was so brilliant in the design and layout of the book, and he is an amazing author. This was a really touching story of a young boy and his imagination. The boy's imagination makes an ordinary everyday suburban life magical. This book was set in Australian suburbs, and it has 15 short stories. Some of them were funny, some cute, and some even hauntingly real. This would be a great book for older students, especially in middle school. I know that in Middle School you do an entire unit on short stories, and this book would be amazing for that. The illustrations are a mix of charcoal, ink, pen, pastel, and colored pencil.
Genre: Realistic fiction, for the fantasy aspects are apart of the kid's imagination. ( )
  epatt14 | Mar 4, 2016 |
"...Mit Geschichten aus der Vorstadt des Universums lädt Shaun Tan die Leser ein zur Begegnung mit dem Alltäglichem und mit dem Phantastischem in einer ganz eigenen fiktionalen Welt und zeigt ihnen, wie Literatur „funktioniert“. Eike Schönfeldt hat die poetische Kraft und den freundlich-optimistischen Ton von Tans Texten überzeugend ins Deutsche übertragen und uns die Erzählungen in ihrer ganzen Schönheit zugänglich gemacht."

To Paul, (who always enjoys a good expedition) Perth, W.A.
When I was a kid, there was a big water buffalo living in the vacant lot at the end of our street, the one with the grass no one ever mowed.

Shaun Tan follows THE ARRIVAL with a collection of off-the-wall tales combined with his genius illustrations in a unique hybrid format that will build on our current success.

An exchange student who's really an alien, a secret room that becomes the perfect place for a quick escape, a typical tale of grandfatherly exaggeration that is actually even more bizarre than he says... These are the odd details of everyday life that grow and take on an incredible life of their own in tales and illustrations that Shaun Tan's many fans will love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:15 -0400)

Fifteen illustrated short stories, some humorous and some haunting, set in the Australian suburbs.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Tales From Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,813,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible