Tales from Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan

Tales from Outer Suburbia (2008)

by Shaun Tan

English (80)  German (3)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (86)
Painful, haunting beauty. An illustrated book for adults wiþ several very short tales in poetic prose. Several open endings. My own ten years old boy is loving it too. ( )
  leandrod | Feb 10, 2015 |
I would happily read/peruse anything Shaun Tan illustrates. His artwork is exceptional. His illustrations are detailed and have depth. ( )
  lesmel | Aug 27, 2014 |
  BRCSBooks | Aug 15, 2014 |
I love the illustrations in this book - which go along with a collection of fantastical stories. My favorite story was about the exchange student, Eric. My least favorite story was "Stick Figures." I would like to know more about what inspired him to write these stories - maybe he did the illustrations first? ( )
  SuPendleton | Jul 10, 2014 |
Strange and wild and wonderful. Reminded me strongly of the effect of reading The Mysteries of Harris Burdick. ( )
  Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |
Jurybegründung
"...Mit Geschichten aus der Vorstadt des Universums lädt Shaun Tan die Leser ein zur Begegnung mit dem Alltäglichem und mit dem Phantastischem in einer ganz eigenen fiktionalen Welt und zeigt ihnen, wie Literatur „funktioniert“. Eike Schönfeldt hat die poetische Kraft und den freundlich-optimistischen Ton von Tans Texten überzeugend ins Deutsche übertragen und uns die Erzählungen in ihrer ganzen Schönheit zugänglich gemacht."

Contains

To Paul, (who always enjoys a good expedition) Perth, W.A.
When I was a kid, there was a big water buffalo living in the vacant lot at the end of our street, the one with the grass no one ever mowed.

Shaun Tan follows THE ARRIVAL with a collection of off-the-wall tales combined with his genius illustrations in a unique hybrid format that will build on our current success.

An exchange student who's really an alien, a secret room that becomes the perfect place for a quick escape, a typical tale of grandfatherly exaggeration that is actually even more bizarre than he says... These are the odd details of everyday life that grow and take on an incredible life of their own in tales and illustrations that Shaun Tan's many fans will love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:25 -0400)

Fifteen illustrated short stories, some humorous and some haunting, set in the Australian suburbs.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Tales From Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,162,903 books! | Top bar: Always visible