Tales from Outer Suburbia (2008)

by Shaun Tan

Fifteen illustrated short stories, some humorous and some haunting, set in the Australian suburbs.

English (98)  German (2)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (103)
Collection of short stories and poems, my favorite was the Inner Courtyard. ( )
  kevn57 | Dec 8, 2021 |
Truly a beautiful book, in form and content and message. Wonderful little stories that have a strange, surreal tinge to them with an air of melancholy and accompanied by amazing illustrations. Definitely something that can be revisited at different ages and always enjoyed.

Favorites:
The table of contents (lol, but it looks like an exotic collection of stamps)
“Eric” - a family takes in a strange little exchange student
“Our Expedition” - two boys travel to find what’s at the end of the map
“Armed but not Alert” - an unnamed country has given their populace misses to store in their yards
“Stick Figures” - there are stick figures that appear everywhere around town, watching and staying immobile, no matter what’s done to them. ( )
  Elna_McIntosh | Sep 29, 2021 |
A wonderful set of illustrated stories about the humorous and poignant moments of living in what Aussie author Shaun Tan calls outer suburbia. Straddling the line between magical realism and fantasy flat out, Tan's inventive artwork and colorful storytelling is a treat to read. It's like a picture book for young adults. I can't wait to read more of Tan's works. ( )
  sarahlh | Mar 6, 2021 |
This is not only going down as an all-time favourite, but I've already bought a copy for a friend's birthday. It's utterly delightful. ( )
  Carrie_Etter | Nov 28, 2020 |
2009 (my review can be found on the LibraryThing post linked)
http://www.librarything.com/topic/68641#1437725 ( )
2 vote dchaikin | Oct 4, 2020 |
Jurybegründung
"...Mit Geschichten aus der Vorstadt des Universums lädt Shaun Tan die Leser ein zur Begegnung mit dem Alltäglichem und mit dem Phantastischem in einer ganz eigenen fiktionalen Welt und zeigt ihnen, wie Literatur „funktioniert“. Eike Schönfeldt hat die poetische Kraft und den freundlich-optimistischen Ton von Tans Texten überzeugend ins Deutsche übertragen und uns die Erzählungen in ihrer ganzen Schönheit zugänglich gemacht."

Contains

To Paul, (who always enjoys a good expedition) Perth, W.A.
When I was a kid, there was a big water buffalo living in the vacant lot at the end of our street, the one with the grass no one ever mowed.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Shaun Tan's book Tales From Outer Suburbia was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,612,130 books! | Top bar: Always visible