Cranford (1851)

by Elizabeth Gaskell

Other authors: Nadia May (Narrator)

Mary Smith relates the story of her time with middle-aged spinster sisters Miss Matty and Miss Deborah.
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Both novels offer a similar sort of wry look at the foibles of the English classes in the 18th / 19th centuries. Both are so carefully observed and deliciously written that they remain classics.
    Lark Rise to Candleford by Flora Thompson (Staramber)
    Staramber: In Over To Candleford Laura reads Cranford to her Uncle. Although separated by time they both contain everyday descriptions of provincial British life by – largely – passive narrators.
    The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories by Sarah Orne Jewett (InfoQuest)
    InfoQuest: In both Gaskell and Jewett's novels, a young woman (the first-person narrator) comes to visit a rural community in a series of related vignettes. Jewett's is the more poetic, and Gaskell's is the more humorous, but both are lovely little books which center on the experiences and relationships of women in the 19th century.… (more)
    The Folded Earth by Anuradha Roy (noveltea)
    noveltea: Two endearing small towns, one British (with links to India), one Indian (with links to Britain).
    Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: In many ways a similar, acutely observed portrait of village life, with an especially keen eye on the upper and middle classes.
    The Summer without Men by Siri Hustvedt (thorold)
    thorold: Two novels 160 years apart that explore the roles of women by creating a view of the world in which men are peripheral or irrelevant.
    Gentleman Jack: The Complete First Season [DVD] by Sally Wainwright (potenza)
    potenza: Any fan of Gaskell might appreciate this real-life feminist contemporary.
    Mrs. Ames by E. F. Benson (bell7)
    bell7: This story is similarly concerned with events in a small English town, though the characters' class and life situations are much different.
    Purely for Pleasure by Margaret Lane (yolana)
    Jane and Prudence by Barbara Pym (chrisharpe)

English (112)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All languages (117)
Boggy. A series of short stories rooted in the town of Cranford, it makes for a good miniseries (as BBC clearly proved) but slow and ponderous reading. While I did enjoy her vivid descriptions, it was hard for me to straighten out the plot-lines. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
This is a lovely series of vignettes, variously humorous and heartwarming. The book makes affectionate fun of all its characters-- you can tell how much the narrator loves them all, and she makes you love them too. A few times I was even so by their troubles I teared up a little bit, though Gaskell manages to avoid sentimentality.

Was going to give it only four stars because I had a vague feeling of it being less "substantial", but thinking about it more, that's silly. I quite enjoyed this book, and found it absorbing and well-written.

Would recommend for fans of Emma. ( )
  misslevel | Sep 22, 2021 |
A little gossipy book about a little English country town of spinsters. Published 1853. Lots of hats and rules of precedence and little economies. It is a gentle stroll of a book that drew me in further than I expected by the end. A couple of moments caught my attention in particular:
About the upcoming performance of a magician, "Such a piece of gaiety was going to happen as had not been seen or known of since Wombwell's lions came, when one of them ate a little child's arm."
The story of the magician's wife who followed him to India when he was in the army and then their first 5 children died. She got his blessing to take their 6th baby to England in hope of it surviving and had a long perilous journey overland before she could embark at Calcutta.
I read a university library copy printed in 1928. It has ten checkout stamps from May 11 '43 to Oct 10 '86. The Date Due sheet is caught up in the patched binding tape and thus endures. Happy sigh. ( )
  Je9 | Aug 10, 2021 |
A charming, tender, yet sad account of provincial life, with colorful characters. Time to watch the series now! ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
This book is a series of vignettes that are at once quaint, emotional, and satirical. I first watched the BBC miniseries adapted from this book maybe seven years ago. Without that, I might have enjoyed this more. While it has Gaskell's characteristic witty and flowery writing style, the way the vignettes and characters are put together can feel disjointed. In the miniseries, the stories are spread out to create a more coherent plot; in the book, we get scenes that sometimes tie together and sometimes do not. This book does have one of my favorite scenes featuring a cow, however.

Amazing.

Scales, PrunellaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scales, PrunellaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomson, HughIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watson, Elizabeth PorgesEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the first place, Cranford is in possession of the Amazons; all the holders of houses, above a certain rent, are women.
'I cannot tell you what the whole quiet picture has for me.' (Introduction)
Woodley stood among fields; and there was an old-fashioned garden where roses and currant-bushes touched each other, and where the feathery asparagus formed a pretty background to the pinks and gilly-flowers; there was no drive up to the door. We got out at a little gate, and walked up a straight box-edged path.
Miss Jenkyns wore a cravat, and a little bonnet like a jockey-cap, and altogether had the appearance of a strong-minded woman; although she would have despised the modern idea of women being equal to men. Equal, indeed! she knew they were superior.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439882, 014103937X, 0141199423

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,507,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible