Lark Rise to Candleford (1945)

by Flora Thompson

Series: Lark Rise to Candleford trilogy (1-3)

The story of three closely-related Oxfordshire communities -- a hamlet, a village, and a town -- and the memorable cast of characters who people them. Based on Thompson's own experiences as a child and young woman, it is keenly observed and beautifully narrated, quiet and evocative.
    Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell (Staramber)
    Staramber: In Over To Candleford Laura reads Cranford to her Uncle. Although separated by time they both contain everyday descriptions of provincial British life by – largely – passive narrators.
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (atimco)
    atimco: Both stories are semi-autobiographical and tell the story of a young, sensitive girl coming of age in a poor community. The heroines have similar family structures (attractive, hardworking mother, generally absent/weak father, younger brother who fits into his surroundings better than his older sister). The historical setting is very important to both works and almost acts as a character in its own right.… (more)
    The Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett (atimco)
    atimco: Both are narrated by a semi-outsider and share a quiet, contemplative, sometimes humorous tone. Both authors evidently desire to use their fiction to capture a disappearing (or disappeared) way of life.
    Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen (Staramber)
    Staramber: Althought the topics differ both are similarly structured and fascinating
    The Country Child by Alison Uttley (patchygirl)
    patchygirl: Many lovely books come up in the recommendations for Lark Rise to Candleford, including The Country Child. For me, the latter is such a particularly good pair for Lark Rise that I just want to give it a special mention.
    Precious Bane by Mary Webb (KayCliff)

Contains: Lark rise -- Over to Candleford -- Candleford Green ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 19, 2020 |
Lark rise (1939) -- Over to Candleford (1941) -- Candleford Green (1943) ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 19, 2020 |
It's taken two weeks of train rides to read this, and I'm going to miss Laura so much now I've finished. A sweet, nostalgic view of a girlhood that is surprisingly modern-feeling despite the fact it was first published in 1945. It struck me just how many changes have happened in the period following the 1880s - horse-drawn carriages, bicycles and motor cars all followed each other with what must have seemed alarming speed for someone of Laura's generation. When I started reading Laura/Flora was just a character in a memoir but by the time I finished she'd become a welcome companion.

Jean.Walker | Sep 1, 2019 |
Flora Thompson grew up in the late 1800s in a tiny hamlet in the middle of nowhere. Her life was one of daily repetition where almost nothing changed and grinding poverty. Yet, perhaps because she learned to read at a very early age, she has an eye for detail that observes her childhood world slightly from the outside.
A book that might have been boring in other hands becomes a fascinating account of the minutiae of the daily lives of the villagers and a reminder how many of our ancestors would have lived not so very far in the past.
It's also a telling indictment of the Enclosure Acts. The only villagers who had any money were the older ones who had managed to put money aside while they were still had enough money to be able to save some. The loss of the common land made the difference between being merely poor and living on the edge of destitution. ( )
1 vote JudithProctor | Jun 30, 2017 |
Since I thought the dramatization of Lark Rise was fun, I figured the book should be good. And it was! But it is NOT the dramatization. It's not really a story - it's a personal view of the history of village/hamlet life in England in the late 1800s. It does have bits and pieces of "Laura"'s life (which is somewhat representative of Flora's own life). I still loved it, and recommend it, but if you want only a story that's just like the dramatzation ... you might be disappointed. ( )
  camelama | Dec 30, 2016 |

Thirkell, NicholasDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lark Rise

I
Poor People's Houses

The hamlet stood on a gentle rise in the flat, wheat-growing north-east corner of Oxfordshire. We will call it Lark Rise because of the great number of skylarks which made the surrounding fields their springboard and nested on the bare earth between the rows of green corn.
And she herself did not really wish to become a member; she never did wish to do what everybody else was doing, which showed she had a contrary nature, she had often been told, but it was really because her thought and tastes ran upon different lines than those of the majority.
But have we any of us a free choice of our path in life, or are we driven on by destiny or by the demon within us into a path already marked out? Who can tell?
Her mother's judgement was usually sound, and she had often told her: 'You're not cut out for a pleasant, easy life. You think too much!'

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,442,168 books! | Top bar: Always visible