Empire Falls by Richard Russo

Empire Falls (2001)

by Richard Russo

Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout (2810michael)
    The Last Picture Show by Larry McMurtry (browner56)
    browner56: Although separated by half a century and half the country, Thalia, Texas and Empire Falls, Maine could be the same dreary and decaying small town.
    Storming Heaven by Denise Giardina (readerbabe1984)
    Staggerford by Jon Hassler (readerbabe1984)
    Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns (readerbabe1984, readerbabe1984)

English (149)  Korean (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (153)
Good writing with an actual plot. Real characters, lots of humor, and a deep sense of place and history. That's the appeal for me. The town is the character I found most interesting. The climax of the book was jarring and seemed... contrived. Nevertheless, my favorite Russo book. ( )
  JSpilman | Apr 16, 2018 |
I am about to start this one. I will say more as I go along... ( )
  PamV | Mar 27, 2018 |
I read this book in a college English class. It sounds almost like it would be really dull but I actually really loved this book! One of the few school books I did not sell back to the school because I wanted to keep it in my permanent collection. 10 years after taking the class, I still have it and love it! ( )
  pennma05 | Jan 29, 2018 |
I realized after I started this that I had seen the TV movie of this so certain twists to the plot were not a surprise to me. However, the book is even better than the dramatization, in part because of the amount of detail and background given.

Coming from New England, there was a lot about the town of Empire Falls to which I could relate. I wonder if the shirt factory was modelled on the Hathaway Shirt company... I remember visiting one of their outlet stores in Maine every summer during our vacation growing up. ( )
  leslie.98 | Mar 31, 2017 |
Russo's command of his story is unerring, but his manner is so unassuming that his mastery is easy to miss. He satisfies every expectation without lapsing into predictability, and the last section of the book explodes with surprises that also seem, in retrospect, like inevitabilities. As the pace quickens and the disparate threads of the narrative draw tighter, you find yourself torn between the desire to rush ahead and the impulse to slow down.

Empire Falls, situated at a fictitious and unlovely bend of the Knox River, is the kind of place tourists from Boston or New York speed through en route to the mini-Martha's Vineyards of the Maine coast, perhaps stopping for lunch at a place like the Empire Grill and eavesdropping on the taciturn, wisecracking regulars. By the end of this novel, you'll know the town's geography like a native, and its tattered landmarks -- the Empire Grill, the old Whiting shirt factory, the architectural folly C. B. Whiting built across the river -- will be as vivid and as charged with metaphor as Salem's house of seven gables or the mansions of East Egg. You will also have had the good fortune to tour this unremarkable geography in the company of an amiable, witty raconteur who knows all the gossip and the local history as well as some pretty good jokes. Only after you've bought him a beer, shaken his hand and said goodbye will it occur to you that he's also one of the best novelists around.
added by WiJiWiJi | editNew York Times, A.O. Scott (Jun 24, 2001)

added by Nickelini | editNew York Times, A.O. Scott (Jun 24, 2001)

Richard Russoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ven, Sandra van deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Robert Benton
Compared to the Whiting mansion in town, the house Charles Beaumont Whiting built a decade after his return to Maine was modest.
Some sins trail their own penance.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375726403, Paperback)

Like most of Richard Russo's earlier novels, Empire Falls is a tale of blue-collar life, which itself increasingly resembles a kind of high-wire act performed without the benefit of any middle-class safety nets. This time, though, the author has widened his scope, producing a comic and compelling ensemble piece. There is, to be sure, a protagonist: fortysomething Miles Roby, proprietor of the local greasy spoon and the recently divorced father of a teenage daughter. But Russo sets in motion a large cast of secondary characters, drawn from every social stratum of his depressed New England mill town. We meet his ex-wife Janine, his father Max (another of Russo's cantankerous layabouts), and a host of Empire Grill regulars. We're also introduced to Francine Whiting, a manipulative widow who owns half the town--and who takes a perverse pleasure in pointing out Miles's psychological defects.

Miles does indeed have a tendency to take it on the chin. (At one point he alludes to his own "natural propensity for shit-eating.") And his role as Mr. Nice Guy thrusts him into all sorts of clashes with his not-so-nice contemporaries, even as the reader patiently waits for him to blow his top. It would be impossible to summarize Russo's multiple plot lines here. Suffice it to say that he touches on love and marriage, lust and loss and small-town economics, with more than a soupçon of class resentment stirred into the broth. This is, in a sense, an epic of small and large frustrations: "After all, what was the whole wide world but a place for people to yearn for their heart's impossible desires, for those desires to become entrenched in defiance of logic, plausibility, and even the passage of time, as eternal as polished marble." Yet Russo's comedic timing keeps the novel from collapsing into an orgy of breast-beating, and his dialogue alone--snappy and natural and efficiently poignant--is sufficient cause to put Empire Falls on the map. --Bob Brandeis

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:27 -0400)

Miles Roby has been slinging burgers at the Empire Grill for 20 years, a job that cost him his college education and much of his self-respect. What keeps him there? It could be his bright, sensitive daughter Tick, who needs all his help surviving the local high school. Or maybe it's Janine, Miles' soon-to-be ex-wife, who's taken up with a noxiously vain health-club proprietor. Or perhaps it's the imperious Francine Whiting, who owns everything in town-and seems to believe that "everything" includes Miles himself. In Empire Falls Richard Russo delves deep into the blue-collar heart of America . . .… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,053,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible