Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout

Olive Kitteridge (2008)

by Elizabeth Strout

Gilead by Marilynne Robinson (2810michael)
    A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (_debbie_)
    Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (gust, ainsleytewce)
    gust: Ook een verhalenbundel met terugkerende personages in de verschillende verhalen
    Little Bee by Chris Cleave (sarah-e)
    Empire Falls by Richard Russo (2810michael)
    Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri (chrisharpe)
    Our Town by Thornton Wilder (ainsleytewce)
    Moral Disorder and Other Stories by Margaret Atwood (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both tell the life story of a woman in short story form, with compassion and an unflinching eye.
    The Edge of Darkness by Mary Ellen Chase (CurrerBell)
    CurrerBell: Maine regionalism can often be at its best when written as a collection of short stories, character studies, or vignettes all united around a single character, as in the case of Elizabeth Strout's Olive Kitteridge, Mary Ellen Chase's The Edge of Darkness, and Sarah Orne Jewett's The Country of the Pointed Firs.… (more)
    Lives of Girls and Women by Alice Munro (ainsleytewce)
    Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters (ainsleytewce)
    The Man of My Dreams by Curtis Sittenfeld (thelittlematchgirl)
    thelittlematchgirl: both are stories about women some people will find unlikeable and some will want to be friends with.
    Tunu by Kim Leine (2810michael)
    2810michael: Mest pga opbygningen med novelleagtige kapitler, der portrætterer en by og dens personer
    The Way to the Cats by Yehoshua Kenaz (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: another crotchety old woman - about whom it's fun to read
    The Sweet Hereafter by Russell Banks (jbvm)
    A Reckless Moon by Dianne Warren (lkernagh, mymia)
    The Evening Star by Larry McMurtry (Ciruelo)
    Ciruelo: A strong willed and contrary woman is the foundation of each book.
    Honeydew by Edith Pearlman (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Short stories set in small-town New England
    The Civilized World by Susi Wyss (ShortStoryLover)
    ShortStoryLover: While the settings in these books are very different, both are collections of linked stories in which the main characters are revealed through a kind of multi-faceted prism, as the reader experiences them not just through the main characters' points view but also through the points of view of the other characters.… (more)
    Runaway by Alice Munro (gust)

English (508)  Catalan (4)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (518)
Simply and beautifully written. Ordinary characters with ordinary lives who seem so real I half expect to bump into them at Publix. I considered giving up on it in the beginning because it can be sad and I avoid sad like the plague, but I'm glad I stayed with it. (And it doesn't end sad.) ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
Strange ending! ( )
  Carolinejyoung | Feb 22, 2019 |
Well written, but the characters didn't catch my interest. ( )
  zilem | Jan 25, 2019 |
I used Amazon's review because I was not in love with this book. It had a crazy amount of good reviews but the main character, Olive, was not likable. Not even a little bit. I hated her even minute in this book. And then I watched the miniseries on HBO and she was equally awful on there. She wasn't nice to her husband (she cheated on him), she was terrible to her son, she didn't have any friends, she never wanted to be touched or hugged.....she was just a weirdo.

The story was long and drawn out over most of Olive's adult life. The book weaves in and out of her story and others and how she fits into their stories. You really had to pay attention.

There were good points to this book. Parts I really liked - especially if Olive wasn't the main focus. So you might like this book if you can get over Olive. Maybe you will view her differently. Feel for her in some way. I just couldn't bring myself to like her. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
A really lovely book - the Midwest Reservoir 13. Every chapter stands alone as a dazzling short story, and they come together to form a charming bundle. I'm excited to see the HBO adaptation - and read the recently-announced sequel. ( )
  alexrichman | Dec 18, 2018 |
Each of the 13 tales serves as an individual microcosm of small-town life, with its gossip, small kindnesses, and everyday tragedies. Not all the minor characters stand out the way Henry and Olive do, and there are a pile of them to keep straight by the end. I also couldn’t quite place how one story, “Ship in a Bottle,” meshed with the rest. But those are small flaws far outweighed by the book’s compassion and intelligence.

The pleasure in reading “Olive Kitteridge” comes from an intense identification with complicated, not always admirable, characters. And there are moments in which slipping into a character’s viewpoint seems to involve the revelation of an emotion more powerful and interesting than simple fellow feeling—a complex, sometimes dark, sometimes life-sustaining dependency on others.

Elizabeth Stroutprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burr, SandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Castoldi, SilviaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother who can make life magical and is the best storyteller I know.
For many years Henry Kitteridge was a pharmacist in the next town over, driving every morning on snowy roads, or rainy roads, or summertime roads, when the wild raspberries shot their new growth in brambles along the last section of town before he turned off to where the wider road led to the pharmacy.
Olive had sat in her bedroom and wept like a baby, not so much for this country but for the city itself, which had seemed to her to become suddenly no longer a foreign, hardened place, but as fragile as a class of kindergarten children, brave in their terror.
She showed him the library built the year before Henry's stroke, with its cathedral ceilng and skylights. He looked at the books, and she wanted to say, "Stop that," as though he were reading her diary.
Who, who, does not have their basket of trips.
He wanted to put his arms around her, but she had a darkness that seemed to stand beside her like an acquaintance that would not go away. - "Pharmacy"
Angie... felt she had figured something out too late, and that must be the way of life, to get something figured out when it was too late. - "The Piano Player"

At times stern, at other times patient, at times perceptive, at other times in sad denial, Olive Kitteridge, a retired schoolteacher, deplores the changes in her little town of Crosby, Maine, and in the world at large, but she doesn't always recognize the changes in those around her; a lounge musician haunted by a past romance, a former student who has lost the will to live; Olive's own adult child who feels tyrannized by her irrational sensitivities; and her husband Henry, who finds his loyalty to his marriage both a blessing and a curse.
As the townspeople grapple with their problems, mild and dire, Olive is brought into a deeper understanding of herself and her life - sometimes painfully, but always with ruthless honesty.

Stories:
Ship in a Bottle
Security
Criminal
River

At the edge of the continent, in the small town of Crosby, Maine, lives Olive Kitteridge, a retired schoolteacher who deplores the changes in her town and in the world at large but doesn't always recognize the changes in those around her.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Elizabeth Strout's book Olive Kitteridge was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,433,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible