Dissolution (2003)

by C. J. Sansom

Series: Matthew Shardlake (1)

Having worked to establish laws that protect the interests of the crown in 1537, Thomas Cromwell, Henry VIII's feared vicar-general, enlists fellow reformer and lawyer Matthew Shardlake to investigate a commissioner's murder, which may be tied to an impending rebellion.
    The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both feature ghastly murders in a monastery in a time of religious conflict and turmoil. The Name of the Rose (medieval Italy) is more philosophical, while Dissolution (Tudor England) is more of a straight-forward historical mystery. Both offer interesting insights into the political and religious issues of the times.… (more)
    Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin (wandering_star)
    wandering_star: Both these series are excellent mysteries set in well-drawn medieval England.
    An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears (Louve_de_mer)
    Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel (SHBR123)
    Morality Play by Barry Unsworth (Anonymous user)
    L'Eclat de Dieu : Ou Le Roman du Temps by Romain Sardou (Louve_de_mer)
    Pardonnez nos offenses by Romain Sardou (Louve_de_mer)
    A Conspiracy of Violence by Susanna Gregory (Riyale)

English (175)  Dutch (4)  French (4)  Spanish (2)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (186)
Re- Read August 2018 and now I will continue with the series

Original review Jan 2012
Really enjoyed this. Look forward to reading the other books in the series. ( )
  LisaBergin | Apr 12, 2023 |
Gad. How did we ever make it through our history?

This was an interesting foray into a time I don't know much about, so I'm taking it on faith that it was accurately portrayed. The setting and characters were deep and well drawn. The actual mystery was a bit banal in the end, and at times the story dragged. But it was still definitely worth reading. I plan to read more of this series. ( )
  TheGalaxyGirl | Mar 15, 2023 |
Henry VIII and Thomas Cromwell... you could call this Disillusionment. Our detective hero starts thinking that Reform is going to fix the ills of society, but slowly comes to realize that the people on both sides are pretty much equivalent, for better and worse.

Bloodshed, chasing, falling, secret passageways, the works. A perfectly competent page turner. Plus enough details about a crucial time in history... educational entertainment!

Oh yeah, a tip of the hat to Umberto Eco in here, a copy of Aristotle's On Comedy, long thought lost, is in the monastery library! ( )
  kukulaj | Mar 7, 2023 |
Excellent novel set in the English Reformation. ( )
  lynnbyrdcpa | Feb 18, 2023 |
Delighted with this unexpected find which I picked up recently. Didn't think I could face another Tudor novel, but this one is quite different, much more Name of the Rose than Wolf Hall. Would definitely read more in this series. ( )
  MochaVonBee | Jan 21, 2023 |
A well-written historical mystery, unique for both its characters and setting. A definite winner for fans of historical mystery.

Sansom, C. J.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Balducci, GiuliaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Johansen, KnutTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lesser, AntonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the writers' group:
Jan, Luke, Mary, Mike B, Mike H, Roz, William
and especially Tony, our inspiration. The crucible.

And to Caroline
I was down in Surrey, on business for Lord Cromwell's office, when the summons came.
You untangle a knot with slow teasing, not sharp pulling, and believe me we have here a knot such as I have never seen.

Matthew Shardlake, a
Lawyer, investigates crimes in
Tudor monastery.
(passion4reading)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 188,559,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible