Pamela: or, Virtue Rewarded by Samuel…

Pamela: or, Virtue Rewarded (1740)

by Samuel Richardson

Shamela by Henry Fielding (Imprinted, kara.shamy)
    Imprinted: A satiric take on the popular Pamela by one of Richardson's contemporaries.
    kara.shamy: Must read Shamela! It's an incomplete experience to read Richardson's novel or Fielding's satirical take on it apart from the other text, I think...
    Clarissa: Or the History of a Young Lady by Samuel Richardson (KayCliff)
    Justine by Marquis de Sade (GYKM)
    GYKM: A sadistic parody and critique of Pamela.

To read Pamela Andrews's's letters to her parents you have to surmise she is a really good girl. Who, as a fifteen year old maidservant, sends money home to his or her parents these days? Exactly. Keep in mind this was written in 1740.
Back to Good Girl Pamela. The trouble doesn't really begin for Pamela until her mistress passes away and young Pamela is left deal with the grieving son...only he is not so distraught as one would think. As soon as his mother has passed, his advances while subtle are enough to cause Pamela's parents concern, especially for...you guessed it...her father. Some things haven't changed after all. Maybe dad is thinking as a man instead of a parent when he begins to urge his daughter to come home. Those urgings become more insistent the more Pamela tells them about her employer, Mr. B. After several assaults and an extended "kidnapping" and after Pamela repeatedly tries to return to the safety of her parents, Mr. B. reforms and finally wins Pamela's heart the proper way. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Jul 8, 2019 |
A classic novel that didn't live up to expectations. ( )
  DanielSTJ | Mar 10, 2019 |
The more I read of the 18th century, the more I am astonished how long it took people to figure out how to tell a story.

About a quarter of the way through writing Pamela Richard seems to have realized that the epistolary format is awkward and prevents the author from putting in any sense of suspense or drama into a story. So he half gives it up, getting rid of the letters that chopped up the, I use this word lightly, action and leaves behind a narrative that still lacks all suspense and must keep justifying its existence. Nor does it help that Pamela, modest as she is, can't help but sing the praises of her virtue and prudence at every opportunity. Whether its against cross housemaids who fail to say their prayers every night, crass housekeepers who tell vulgar stories, or noble ladies who turn up their noses at their social inferiors, Pamela is more devout, modestly reticent and utterly without affectation than anybody.

It may be unfair of me to judge Pamela so harshly, however, in the face of the abuse that she takes throughout the book. It's mostly verbal, but this one time she gets smacked on the shoulder and falls down in tears. To spare others the trouble, here's a near-comprehensive list of what Pamela is called by her master, her master's sister and his second-best housekeeper and sometimes she gets so down she calls herself a few things:

(it's half the book, so I don't want to spoil it)

Little fool
Hussy
Foolish hussy
Foolish slut
Artful young baggage
[one possessed of] vanity and conceit, and pride too
Silly girl
Pretty preacher
Ungrateful baggage
Child
An impertinent
"Thou strange medley of inconsistence"
Amiable gewgaw
Fallen angel
Mistress of arts
Wicked girl
Saucy-face
[one possessed of a] little, plotting, guileful heart
Sorceress
Intriguing little slut [that is, plotting, not interesting]

And don't think each of those was used just once.

And she still says by the end: "Dear sir, said I, pray give me more of your sweet injunctions."

and later, for the book goes on and on long after it should have left off: "O dearest, dear sir, said I, have you nothing more to honour me with? You oblige and improve me at the same time.--What a happy lot is mine!"

I get that hussy and slut didn't have the connotations they do know - in fact, Pamela marks the beginning of the period in which a common variant for housewife, hussy, became a derogatory term. Thanks Samuel Richardson! - but it leaves me questioning the morals of the whole century.

Indeed. This book could be adapted faithfully and be a harrowing thriller. Richardson intended this book as a guide to young women of proper behavior in distressing situations. I insist that nobody else read this ever again. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Definitely a bit antiquated (total understatement). Predominate thought has been, "Ew, gross." followed closely by, "STOP WITH THE HUMBLE-BRAGGING!"

It's presented the whole way through as if he's doing her such a favour by even giving her the unwanted attention. Super unhealthy abusive (And downright creepy) relationship *every* step of the way. All is forgiven when it really shouldn't be, and by way too many people. All because of holy matrimony. Her father would have prefered her dead otherwise.

Maybe in the 1740s the controlling husband & subservient wife duo were a nice picture of a happy end, but it's a bit jarring; the insinuation that this marriage is God's reward, just ew. Interesting read nonetheless, but yeah... ( )
  iceiris | Feb 18, 2019 |
Such a wretched book. My professor favors "Pamela" as the first novel. ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |

Richardson, Samuelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Highmore, JosephCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Keymer, ThomasEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sale, Jr. William M.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wakely, AliceEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My dear Father and Mother, I have great trouble, and some comfort, to acquaint you with.
"And pray," said I, as we walked on, "how came I to be his property? What right has he in me, but such as a thief may plead to stolen goods?"

‘I cannot be patient, I cannot be passive, when my virtue is in danger’

Fifteen-year-old Pamela Andrews, alone and unprotected, is relentlessly pursued by her dead mistress’s son. Although she is attracted to young Mr B., she holds out against his demands and threats of abduction and rape, determined to defend her virginity and abide by her own moral standards. Psychologically acute in its investigations of sex, freedom and power, Richardson’s first novel caused a sensation when it was first published, with its depiction of a servant heroine who dares to assert herself. Richly comic and full of lively scenes and descriptions, Pamela contains a diverse cast of characters, ranging from the vulgar and malevolent Mrs Jewkes to the aggressive but awkward country squire who serves this unusual love story as both its villain and its hero.

This edition incorporates all the revisions made by Richardson in his lifetime. Margaret A. Doody’s introduction discusses the genre of epistolary novels, and examines characterization, the role of women and class differences in Pamela.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:36 -0400)

Fifteen-year-old Pamela Andrews, alone in the world, is pursued by her dead mistress's son. Although she is attracted to Mr B, she holds out against his demands, determined to protect her virginity and abide by her moral standards.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140431403, 0141199636

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,310,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible