The Sandman Vol. 08: Worlds' End (1994)

by Neil Gaiman, Michael Allred (Illustrator), Mike Allred (Illustrator), Gary Amaro (Illustrator), Mark Buckingham (Illustrator)9 more, Dick Giordano (Illustrator), Tony Harris (Illustrator), Steve Leialoha (Illustrator), Vince Locke (Illustrator), Shea Anton Pensa (Illustrator), Alec Stevens (Illustrator), Bryan Talbot (Illustrator), John Watkiss (Illustrator), Michael Zulli (Illustrator)

Other authors: Stephen King (Introduction), Todd Klein (Letterer), Dave McKean (Cover artist), Danny Vozzo (Colorist)

Series: The Sandman (8 (Issues 51-56))

Stephen King's Introduction sets the stage for a series of tales with a haunting geometry--some angular, some parallel, some concentric. An eerie mirror of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, this collection tells of a group of travelers from throughout time, myth and dream, who converge at a mysterious inn to seek refuge from a "reality storm". Graphic novel format. Mature readers.… (more)

This collection of stories has a very different look from previous Sandman volumes, but I liked the way that they were presented, from various travelers who have ended up at the World's End. Only a couple of volumes left, and then I'll likely re-visit my notes on each of the Sandman collections and write up more detailed reviews. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
And so we get our first taste of the infamous House of Mystery, the harbor at World's End, where safety and drink in the limbo between dimensions can be bought with the price of a tale.

I'm pretty fond of these short stories, but perhaps not as fond as I was the first time I read them. They're solid and thought-provoking, but not overly so.

I suppose what really got to me was the end of the volume. The wake. *shiver* Okay, that was some seriously deep shit. When death looked at us like that? Oh lordy that was great. Sometimes the art gets it right, and this one? Yeah. It gets it right.

*shiver*

I LOVE great foreshadowing. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
This got bumped up as one of my preferred volumes of Sandman. Interesting and slightly haunting framing device; lots of interesting stories in between. Fun, interesting. Nothing outright disturbing like e.g. Dr. Doom's diner hostages way back when. ( )
  elam11 | May 30, 2020 |
The story begins with Brant Tucker, and his co-worker Charlene Mooney being involved in a car crash. As he staggers out of the car and helps the injured Charlene, he realizes that he is being directed to a building by a hedgehog! This building, rather than being your regular pub, this is one of four inns that travellers are able to take shelter in when there are reality storms in the fabric between worlds.

They are welcomed into the inn, and their injuries are dealt with. Soon after the other guests who have sought shelter, start to tell each other stories. These tales vary from the historic, set in Europe in the past on a cargo ship. The fantastical, a boy who becomes a man who becomes a president, to the unreal with faeries and the macabre with another on a necropolis city that deals with death. Each story is linked by a scene in the inn, before the next character takes up the challenge of a new account.

Brilliantly illustrated as normal, the sandman books are a pleasure to read, whilst being dark and edgy enough to be unsettling too. These collection feel more cohesive too, as it all takes place in the inn, then ranges far and wide with the yarns. What is cleverly done is that each of these separate stories has been illustrated by a different artist, so they feel like they are coming from a different narrator. Quality graphic novel from Gaiman, as ever. ( )
  PDCRead | Apr 6, 2020 |
This one may well be my favorite of the entire series. I love the story-within-a-story trope. The more deeply layered, the greater my adoration. It doesn't hurt that the stories in this are right up my ally as well - with hints of madness and brief glimpses of alternate worlds. One of the stories, "A Tale of Two Cities" is one of my favorite pieces of short fiction. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Dec 25, 2018 |

King, StephenIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vozzo, DannyColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This book's for Maddy, pink and tiny, born one hour and ten minutes ago, who has spent most of the intervening time sucking vigorously on my fingers in the mistaken belief that they provide a viable source of nutrition. I give you all your tomorrows, and these small stories. With my love, Neil Gaiman.
Looking back on it, the thing that still surprises me is my own reaction to it all.
It's amazing how much one can accomplish in an evening, if one is willing to expend a little effort, and to walk briskly.
Some say that he still walks between the worlds, travelling from America to America, help to the helpless, a shelter for the weak. Others say that he waits to be born once more, and that this time he will not come just to one America, but to all of them. And I walk the worlds, following him, seeking him, walking ahead...spreading his word.
I don't have a goddamn story.

Collects "A Tale of Two Cities," "Cluracan's Tale," "Hob's Leviathan," "The Golden Boy," "Cerements" and" World's End," originally published in The Sandman #51-56.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,971,908 books! | Top bar: Always visible