The Sandman: Worlds' End (1994)

by Neil Gaiman, Michael Allred (Illustrator), Mike Allred (Illustrator), Gary Amaro (Illustrator), Mark Buckingham (Illustrator)9 more, Dick Giordano (Illustrator), Tony Harris (Illustrator), Steve Leialoha (Illustrator), Vince Locke (Illustrator), Shea Anton Pensa (Illustrator), Alec Stevens (Illustrator), Bryan Talbot (Illustrator), John Watkiss (Illustrator), Michael Zulli (Illustrator)

Other authors: Karen Berger (Editor), Stephen King (Introduction), Todd Klein (Letterer), Dave McKean (Cover artist), Danny Vozzo (Colorist)

Series: The Sandman (08 (Issues 51-56)), Sandman (TPB, issues 51-56)

Stephen King's Introduction sets the stage for a series of tales with a haunting geometry--some angular, some parallel, some concentric. An eerie mirror of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, this collection tells of a group of travelers from throughout time, myth and dream, who converge at a mysterious inn to seek refuge from a "reality storm". Graphic novel format. Mature readers.… (more)

Not much to say, other than I quite enjoyed this one, both the story and the art. ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
A group of strangers (some of them very strange strangers) stranded in an inn during a storm pass the time by telling stories. And we have stories within stories within stories. Something of a tour-de-force with each story having its own style of illustration. We are left with questions which hopefully will be answered in the next volume. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Aug 24, 2021 |
A Tavern at the World's End. Travellers from all manner of realities, thrown together. Stories around the fire.

It's certainly not a new plot, but it's near always a fantastic one and this is no exception. We get peeks at all manner of strange corners of the Sandman extended universe, places we've seen before and those we'll likely never see again. And they're all so very fascinating.

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to get thrown into something like this myself. How would I cope with centaurs and skeletons and dreaming cities and reality hopping presidents--oh my...

Well worth the read.

Pretty pictures and spoilers:

A certain soul to everything, not just single things, not even just living things. It's one of the ways I wish I could believe the real world worked. It's fascinating to me.

I don't think I've ever really considered a city's dreams before though.

And one day... they'll awaken.

Oh the fae folk. We've seen him before, but he's still an interesting enough secondary character.

A truely enchanted apple, given as a gift that no one seems to want. An interesting core of what could be yet another fascinating story. There are a lot of those in here.

This story, away from the rest, was greatly amusing. Hinting at a bigger universe in just a strange enough way. And picking on the presidency, which I always appreciate.

There are a lot of these ways of dividing the world that, while too simple and imperfect, make a lot of sense. I think we all have a bit of teh hedgehog and the fox in us. But me, I'm more of a fox I believe.

It made me at least think differently about politics. Even the worst of them are still politicians, so just go and live your life and that's enough for now.

Death and Prez. :)

Air burials have a certain beauty to them. Nothing lasts forever, so why spend land on something who's time is done. And stories... stories are how we'll be remembered.

I wonder if there are other stories from this universe. Or once again, just these bare hints. Worth looking into.

The structure of this story is just bonkers when you think about it. It's all about this guy telling a story--about a bunch of people who meet in a tavern to tell stories--at least one of which contains stories being told. It's stories all the way down! ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
tales from the Inn
  ritaer | Jun 26, 2021 |
This collection of stories has a very different look from previous Sandman volumes, but I liked the way that they were presented, from various travelers who have ended up at the World's End. Only a couple of volumes left, and then I'll likely re-visit my notes on each of the Sandman collections and write up more detailed reviews. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |

Vozzo, DannyColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hill, JoePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kahan, BobEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roeberg, ShellyEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book's for Maddy, pink and tiny, born one hour and ten minutes ago, who has spent most of the intervening time sucking vigorously on my fingers in the mistaken belief that they provide a viable source of nutrition. I give you all your tomorrows, and these small stories. With my love, Neil Gaiman.
Looking back on it, the thing that still surprises me is my own reaction to it all.
It's amazing how much one can accomplish in an evening, if one is willing to expend a little effort, and to walk briskly.
Some say that he still walks between the worlds, travelling from America to America, help to the helpless, a shelter for the weak. Others say that he waits to be born once more, and that this time he will not come just to one America, but to all of them. And I walk the worlds, following him, seeking him, walking ahead...spreading his word.
I don't have a goddamn story.

Collects "A Tale of Two Cities," "Cluracan's Tale," "Hob's Leviathan," "The Golden Boy," "Cerements" and" World's End," originally published in The Sandman #51-56.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,930,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible