Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (1981)

by Beverly Cleary

Other authors: Louis Darling (Illustrator)

Series: Ramona Quimby (6)

The further adventures of the Quimby family as Ramona enters the third grade.

English (121)  Spanish (1)  All languages (122)
I haven't reread this series since I was a kid but revisiting them has been so delightful. Ramona Quimby is a literary icon. ❤️ ( )
  deborahee | Feb 23, 2024 |
Adventure
  BooksInMirror | Feb 19, 2024 |
Ramona Quimby, Age 8 is a realistic portrayal of family life and school from the perspective of Ramona. The characters are true-to-life and interesting, the writing clean and straightforward, very nice. I enjoyed the dynamics and interactions of the Quimby family. Some of the incidents of the story transported me back (a very long time) to when I was a child. I've been served tongue. I've desired to just sit and read rather than engage in the activity I was supposed to do (this still happens). And so on. It is fascinating to see Ramona navigate her childhood fears and problems. She is a wonderful protagonist. ( )
  LordSlaw | Jan 13, 2024 |
My 5yo loves listening to the Ramona books on audio (read by Stockard Channing). I loved these books when I was a kid, too. But imagine my horror when she started calling one of her toys Yard Ape because Ramona says it. In the books, Ramona calls one of her classmates Yard Ape because he teases her. His real name is Danny, but she continues to call him Yard Ape even after they become friends -- like it's an affectionate nickname. In the real world, Yard Ape is a racist slur (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/yard_ape).

So I had a Serious Talk with her about never calling anyone that. Ramona does a lot of things we should never do (e.g. destroying her classmate's art project, sticking burrs in her hair, ruining Beezus's birthday cake), so it was not difficult to convince my daughter that she shouldn't always follow Ramona's example.

Now I'm concerned as a children's librarian that this very popular classic uses a racial slur as a nickname, even though Beverly Cleary intended it in the "unruly child" sense. As I've learned, the impact is more important than the intent.

As far as I know, "yard ape" will not be a familiar insult to most kids today. It wasn't familiar to me, but when I heard the word "ape" I instantly knew I didn't want my kid (or any kid) saying that. I've learned a lot about the problems with monkeys in children's literature from the librarian and blogger Edith Campbell (https://crazyquiltedi.blog/2018/07/20/monkey-business/). The racist associations between primates and Black people are well documented.

So reader beware. All your faves are problematic. ( )
  LibrarianDest | Jan 3, 2024 |

Tiegreen, AlanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Is contained in

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Ramona Quimby hoped her parents would forget to give her a little talking-to.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,854,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible