Joe Gould's Secret by Joseph Mitchell

Joe Gould's Secret (1996)

by Joseph Mitchell

The Arcades Project by Walter Benjamin (melmore)
    melmore: Joe Gould's (imaginary, non-existent?) secret history of New York has always struck me as a shadow image of Benjamin's sprawling but likewise somewhat-imaginary history of 19th century Paris.

English (6)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All (8)
Een apart boek in twee delen. Het eerste is het verhaal van Joe Gould, een bohémien, onaangepast, eigenzinnig. Hij is bezig een soort oral history van de gewone man te schrijven en gebruikt dat plan om geld los te peuteren voor drank. Een journalist tekent zijn verhaal op. In het tweede deel, geschreven na de dood van Joe Gould, blijkt dat die oral history niet is geschreven en alleen bestaat in de gedachten van Joe Gould. Een tragisch figuur en tegelijk bewonderenswaardig hoe hij zich wist staande te houden. Een originele geest. ( )
  elsmvst | Feb 23, 2017 |
Admittedly, I knew nothing of Joe Gould when I decided to read Joe Gould's Secret by Joseph Mitchell, and I intentionally kept away from finding out anything until I read the book. The experience couldn't have been better.
While I don't read much nonfiction, this is one of those books that makes me wonder why. Joe Gould's Secret isn't only stranger than fiction, but it offers real sustenance that sticks with a reader. Joe's story is like no other. During the time when Greenwich Village is filled with all varieties of artists and cool cats, Joe Gould walked and lived among them. An educated man, from an affluent family, he finds importance in the world around him, has no focus on materialism, and is using his life experiences to write an oral history on life.
The story is told in two parts, and true to the title there is a secret that is disclosed in the second part. May I urge you to investigate no further if you are like me and have limited knowledge of Joe Gould? There is a lot of information out there, as well as a film, which makes me a little ashamed that I didn't know of him, but at the same time love that I didn't.
Joe Gould's Secret is one of those books that challenged the way that I think, and left me just a little bit changed, which I believe to be the most meaningful and magical part of literature. ( )
  StephLaymon | Feb 3, 2016 |
This is apparently comprised of a pair of New Yorker articles. Redundant and odd story about a redundant and odd New York bohemian. ( )
  Sandydog1 | Jul 29, 2013 |
I love this book. 3rd time read. One of my favorite works of nonfiction, up there with In Cold Blood and [b:Fear and Loathing|7745|Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream|Hunter S. Thompson|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1165639648s/7745.jpg|1309111] in Las Vegas. I've liked all of Mitchell's books--reports from New York at its cultural peak--but Gould goes to the next level, a unique peek into how people love an outsider artist, and the realities of his actual life. Seagulls everywhere would be proud. ( )
  Carl_Hayes | Mar 30, 2013 |

Joseph Mitchellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cohen, MarceloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Janssen, SusanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maxwell, WilliamIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schönfeld, EikeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steinberg, SaulIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Includes: Professor Sea Gull (orig. in The New Yorker, Dec. 12, 1942) and
Joe Gould's secret (orig. in The New Yorker, Sept. 19 & 26, 1964)

Now a major motion picture starring Ian Holm, Hope Davis, and Stanley Tucci, who also directs.

Joseph Mitchell was a legendary New Yorker writer and the author of the national bestseller Up in the Old Hotel, in which these two pieces appeared. What Joseph Mitchell wrote about, principally, was New York. In Joe Gould, Mitchell found the perfect subject. And Joe Gould's Secret has become a legendary piece of New York history.

Joe Gould may have been the quintessential Greenwich Village bohemian. In 1916, he left behind patrician roots for a scrappy, hand-to-mouth existence: he wore ragtag clothes, slept in Bowery flophouses, and mooched food, drinks, and money off of friends and strangers. Thus he was able to devote his energies to writing "An Oral History of Our Time," which Gould said would constitute "the informal history of the shirt-sleeved multitude." But when Joe Gould died in 1957, the manuscript could not be found. Where had he hidden it? This is Joe Gould's Secret.

"[Mitchell is] one of our finest journalists."--Dawn Powell, The Washington Post

"What people say is history--Joe Gould was right about that-- and history, when recorded by Mitchell, is literature."--The New Criterion

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:57 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,886,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible