Lady Susan

by Jane Austen

Lady Susan, a clever and ruthless widow, determines that her daughter is going to marry a man whom both detest. Lady Susan sets her own sights on her sister-in-law's brother, all the while keeping an old affair simmering on the back burner. However, people refuse to play the roles that she assigns them, and in the end her daughter gets the sister-in-law's brother, the old affair runs out of steam, and all that is left for Lady Susan is the man intended for her daughter, the one neither can abide.… (more)
    My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier (atimco)
    atimco: These stories share a charming, manipulative villainess.
    Evelina by Frances Burney (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: Also an epistolary novel, written by a woman said to be an influence on Austen's own writing. If I recall correctly, also has an older scheming woman involved in the plot.
    Lady Vernon and Her Daughter: A Novel of Jane Austen's Lady Susan by Jane Rubino (sweetiegherkin)
    Lady Susan by Phyllis Ann Karr (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Retells the story without the letters, filling in Austen's gaps.

English (81)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (84)
Very much NOT her usual thing. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |
Although not vintage Austen, this early epistolary novella does not outstay its welcome, enlivened as it is by the author's characteristically incisive wit. Les Liaisons Dangereuses for lovers of tea and crumpets... ( )
  JosephCamilleri | Mar 5, 2021 |
Really - Lady Susan is a horrible person! The storyline reminded me a bit of "Les liasons dangereuses" in terms of both the format (epistolary) and in the subject of manipulation. Of course Austen's novel reflects her age and experience - it is a bit of fluff in comparison to the novel by Laclos. In the end the characters we are sympathetic to are spared Lady Susan's worst schemes, but she manages to come out alright. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jan 11, 2021 |
This book was just okay. Just okay is how I have described every Jane Austen novel I’ve ever read. I did find Lady Susan to be a compelling and interesting character. I love a good flawed MC. She was an awful mother which is just about the worse thing a female character can be. I felt bad for Frederick the whole book. I didn’t care for the letter format. The story would have been better if it were written in regular novel format like her other books. It was also pretty anticlimactic. The plot needs some help. This could have withstood another rewrite or two to iron out the plotbeats and pacing and give the story a more definitive structure. This reads like a first draft. Still, it was entertaining and I didn’t hate it. Basically what I would say about every Jane Austen novel. ( )
  Jyvur_Entropy | Jan 11, 2021 |
made into a film in 2000s
  ritaer | Jun 17, 2020 |

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

My dear Brother,- I can no longer refuse myself the pleasure of profitting by your kind invitation when we last parted, of spending some weeks with you at Churchill, and therefore, if quite convenient to you and Mrs. Vernon to receive me at present, I shall hope within a few days to be introduced to a Sister whom I have so long desired to be acquainted with.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,965,748 books! | Top bar: Always visible