Lady Susan

by Jane Austen

Beautiful, flirtatious, and recently widowed, Lady Susan Vernon seeks an advantageous second marriage for herself, while attempting to push her daughter into a dismal match. A magnificently crafted novel of Regency manners and mores that will delight Austen enthusiasts with its wit and elegant expression.… (more)
    My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier (atimco)
    atimco: These stories share a charming, manipulative villainess.
    Evelina by Frances Burney (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: Also an epistolary novel, written by a woman said to be an influence on Austen's own writing. If I recall correctly, also has an older scheming woman involved in the plot.
    Lady Vernon and Her Daughter: A Novel of Jane Austen's Lady Susan by Jane Rubino (sweetiegherkin)
    Lady Susan by Phyllis Ann Karr (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Retells the story without the letters, filling in Austen's gaps.

English (84)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (87)
Apart from an epilogue/conclusion this is written entirely in the form of letters. Lady Susan is recently widowed and in the possession of a 16 year old daughter she considers stupid and hateful. Susan is already the subject of much scandal and gossip (having nearly split up one marriage, and managed to break up another engagement through flirting), before she descends on the house of her brother in law for a stay as she believes she has no where else to go until the scandal settles.

Meanwhile she tries to get a suitable marriage for herself whilst trying to get her daughter off her hands by making whatever marriage agreement will suit.

Even more scandal erupts when her sister in law's brother appears and decides he is in love with her, despite the rumours.

Soon however, Susan is back in Town and through various schemes married and her daughter off her hands.

Interesting way of writing a short book, which I believe was one of the first Austen wrote, but never submitted for publication. The main character is entirely mercenary, never out for romantic love either for herself or her friends. She's only out for a suitable marriage and will be entirely two faced to get what she wants. Cant think of another character like her. ( )
  nordie | Apr 18, 2022 |
I think this book , which I have tried to read over and over, sort of stopped me from completing the rest of Jane's work. This book was not very great, sometimes Jane Austen can write good, yet sometimes the writing can be dull and its difficult to get into. I found this dull. ( )
  crazynerd | Mar 30, 2022 |
Took a while to get into the epistolary format, and to be able to tell the difference between all of the characters. I was also simultaneously remembering the movie Love and Friendship, which is an adaptation of this book despite it being named after another Austen work, so that occupied a fair bit of mental real estate as well. I might want to watch the movie again, then try the book again. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Mar 26, 2022 |
Lady is a character for sure. ( )
  Nannus | Jan 17, 2022 |
Mi primer libro de Jane Austen y creo que la elección fue acertada.
Disfruto muchísimo las novelas epistolares y eso en conjunto con el tono general de este drama, porque es un drama de esos que solo uno se entera en las reuniones con mujeres adeptas al buen chisme, y lo calculadora de la titular protagonista hizo que esta lectura se pasara volando.

Es una novela corta pero absolutamente deliciosa.
  MissAlandra | Jan 17, 2022 |

Tyrtle, SageNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

My dear Brother,- I can no longer refuse myself the pleasure of profitting by your kind invitation when we last parted, of spending some weeks with you at Churchill, and therefore, if quite convenient to you and Mrs. Vernon to receive me at present, I shall hope within a few days to be introduced to a Sister whom I have so long desired to be acquainted with.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,702,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible