A Call to Conscience: The Landmark Speeches of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

by Martin Luther King, Jr, Clayborne Carson (Editor), Kris Shepard (Editor)

Other authors: Dalai Lama XIV (Introduction), Walter E. Fauntroy (Introduction), Aretha Franklin (Introduction), Erma Franklin (Introduction), Dorothy I. Height (Introduction)11 more, Dennis Kao (Production Coordinator), Edward M. Kennedy (Introduction), Coretta Scott King, John Lewis (Introduction), George McGovern (Introduction), Rosa Louise Park (Introduction), Fred Shuttlesworth (Introduction), Leon H. Sullivan (Introduction), Maja Thomas (Producer/Director), Allison J. Warner (Cover designer), Andrew Young (Introduction)

A powerful collection of the most essential speeches from famed social activist and key civil rights figure Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. This companion volume to A Knock At Midnight: Inspiration from the Great Sermons of Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. includes the text of his most well-known oration, "I Have a Dream", his acceptance speech for the Nobel Peace Prize, and Beyond Vietnam, a powerful plea to end the ongoing conflict. Includes contributions from Rosa Parks, Aretha Franklin, the Dalai Lama, and many others.… (more)

Inspiring and suitably named collection. King was such a powerful orator that even reading his words can give you an idea of his fierce dedication to civil rights. The speeches in his book naturally share common themes (and often draw on certain Biblical metaphors time and again), but also addressed the specific issues of each situation -- fighting for the vote, urging nonviolence, eulogizing the four girls killed in a Birmingham church bombing, advocating the end of the Vietnam War. The intros to each piece give some context, but really the selections stand well on their own, and are worthwhile reading for Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Black History Month, or any time one needs to be reminded of the struggles of that era ... and how much farther we have to go. ( )
  bostonian71 | Feb 12, 2017 |
The speeches are great! But his most famous speech wasn't even in the compilation! ( )
  melissarochelle | Apr 14, 2013 |
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Powerful speeches from Dr. King. Not always the best sound quality. ( )
  ohernaes | Mar 17, 2013 |
[audiobook] Thrilling, inspiring, and humbling. The brilliance of Dr. King's speeches is marred only by the poor audio quality of the early recordings. ( )
  abbot | May 21, 2009 |
These are definitely the landmark speeches. It's amazing to read them in a row and realize how much of an effect he had on our country in a very short time. The introductions are interesting because they are by people who knew him, but they don't offer much in the way of interesting commentary. ( )
  wrmjr66 | Sep 9, 2008 |

Young, AndrewIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cera, KarenPackage designsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, PhillipExecutive Producersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Address to the First Montgomery Improvement Association (MIA) mass meeting --
The birth of a new nation --
Give us the ballot --
Address at the freedom rally in Cobo Hall --
I have a dream --
Eulogy for the young victims of the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church bombing --
Acceptance address for the Nobel Peace Prize --
Address at the conclusion of the Selma to Montgomery march --
Beyond Vietnam --
Where do we go from here? --
I've been to the mountaintop.
Introduction (written and read by Andrew Young) --
The address to the first Montgomery Improvement Association (MIA) mass meeting (introduction written by Rosa Louise Parks and read by Mrs. Coretta Scott King) --
The birth of a new nation (introduction written and read by Reverend Leon H. Sullivan) --
Give us the ballot (introduction written and read by the Honorable Walter E. Fauntroy) --
Address at the Freedom Hall rally in Cobo Hall (Introduction written by Aretha and Erma Franklin and read by Yolanda King) --
I have a dream (introduction written and read by Dr. Dorothy I. Height) --
Eulogy for the young victims of the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church bombing (introduction written and read by the Reverend Fred Shuttlesworth) --
Acceptance address for the Nobel Peace Prize (introduction written by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and read by Martin Luther King III --
Address at the conclusion of the Selma to Montgomery march (introduction written and read by Representative John Lewis) --
Beyond Vietnam (introduction written and read by Ambassador George McGovern) --
Where do we go from here? (introduction written and read by Senator Edward M. Kennedy) --
I've been to the mountaintop (introduction written and read by Andrew Young).

Hachette Book Group

2 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 1586210467, 0446678090

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,689,764 books! | Top bar: Always visible