High-Rise by J. G. Ballard

High-Rise (1975)

by J. G. Ballard

990None8,645 (3.82)43
Recently added byCzarmoriarty, elyreader, bqqks, scarper, private library, Alan-M-Whatton, Steph1203, fitakyre
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (bertilak)
    bertilak: Two books about 'civilized' people becoming tribal and violent. However, Ballard is a disinterested diagnostician and Golding is a moralist.
    Life at the Bottom: The Worldview That Makes the Underclass by Theodore Dalrymple (bertilak)

English (19)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (21)
I don't always enjoy books assigned for school but I liked this one, I wanted to know how everything turned out in the end; but man, some parts of this book were messed up. ( )
  Steph1203 | Mar 14, 2014 |
Future world becomes dystopia. Still beautiful, after all this time. ( )
1 vote Lyndatrue | Dec 21, 2013 |
I collect science fiction books, older and newer ones, and for that reason have a few books by J. G. Ballard, even though I had never read one before this one. This one is also on the "1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die" list so to kill two birds with one stone I picked this book by Ballard as my first one to read.
It is the story of a high-rise in London, a huge building with hundreds of apartments, and things like a school, supermarket, hairdresser, swimming pools and a play ground for the resident. It is obvious that the higher up you get, the higher up in class you go, with the richest people (including the architect of the building) living high up, and the lower class living on the bottom floors. The mood the in building changes over a few months, first subtly, but later quite drastically. A war is starting to get to the top, with the bottom floors aiming for the top and the top ones coming together to keep them out. Pretty soon no one is leaving the building anymore or cares anything about the outside, the world in the high-rise is all that matters.
Even though the things that happened in this book aren't nice by any means, I couldn't stop reading because of some morbid fascination I had with the story. I just had to know how bad it could get, and how the main character ends up eating a dog on his balcony (the first line in the book). The story was pretty fascinating, but because this was a bit too unreal (no police or family ever investigates? no body has any qualms about fighting, starving, stealing or killing?), I couldn't really connect. Three out of five stars, but I'll be sure to read more by J. G. Ballard in the future. ( )
  divinenanny | Sep 20, 2013 |
BC-Ring book

A very, very disturbing book to read. I think that was probably the reason why it took me quite some time to finish it, although it is not really a fat book.

On the other hand, it was very intriguing to read how group processes work. How people turn into someone (something?) else when the circumstances are right, how the group -despite it consists of very different people- sticks together and forms one front against all outsiders.

When reading, I could not imagine something like this happening for real (how can you live in these circumstances and do the things the characters do??), but on the other hand, group processes often are nonpredictable, strange and eerie.

Mixed feelings here and I'm glad that I'm done with this one. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |

J. G. Ballardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Della Frattina, BeataTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Della Frattina, BeataTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thole, KarelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Later, as he sat on his balcony eating the dog, Dr. Robert Laing reflected on the unusual events that had taken place within this huge apartment building during the previous three months.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,422,393 books! | Top bar: Always visible