The Adventures of Augie March (1953)

by Saul Bellow

3,610703,005 (3.86)2 / 212
This grand-scale heroic comedy tells the story of the exuberant young Augie, a poor Chicago boy growing up during the Depression. While his neighborhood friends all settle down into their various chosen professions, Augie, as particular as an aristocrat, demands a special destiny. He latches on to a wild succession of occupations, proudly rejecting each one as too limiting. It is not until he tangles with a glamorous perfectionist named Thea, a huntress with a trained eagle, that his independence is seriously threatened. Luckily, his nature, like the eagle's, breaks down under the strain. He goes on to recruit himself to even more outlandish projects, but always ducks out in time to continue improvising his unconventional career.… (more)
    Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These sprawling novels feature an irrepressible and memorable protagonist. The Adventures of Augie March is set in the 1920s and Depression-era America; Middlesex tells the family history -- spanning the 20th century -- of a hermaphroditic main character.… (more)
    This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Young men coming of age in different eras of 20th Century America.
    David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Bildungsroman: the education of a young man.

English (65)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (68)
This book is a classic piece of American literature, the breakout novel by Saul Bellow. But I didn't like it.

The book follows Augie March, told in the first person, through his childhood in depression-era Chicago and eventually elsewhere, though I didn't get that far.

The book is characterized by lengthy paragraphs of description of characters being introduced, but there are so many, and some of the characters so peripheral, that I found it hard to follow. The writing style just didn't grab me, and the story moves too slowly.

I can't help comparing Bellow to Philip Roth, a fellow Jewish-American novelist from a similar era. Roth is much more readable, funny, and poignant. ( )
  DanTarlin | Sep 4, 2022 |
Actually only about 200 pages and then I stopped. I loved it but it was for a book club and the book club voted it down mid book! ack- dumb book club.
1 vote apende | Jul 12, 2022 |
Augie March becomes a wanderer through the America of the 1930's, though he keeps telling himself he is not a drifter. Just as soon as he gets through this current difficulty, usually caused by a woman, he will get down to making a sucess of himself. We leave him at a fairly stable point, while he is still a work in progress, though he has already been in and out of most of the circumstances of the adventure story, and the "how I became a sucess." tale. Mr. Bellow, has a firm grasp of English, and is a very good plotter. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Oct 22, 2021 |
Saul Bellow had been on my list of authors to try for years. Truth be told, I was scared of him. Winner of the Nobel and the Pulitzer, I imagined Bellow’s writing to be dense and academic, or too experimental. And, yes, there is something one could call experimental about The Adventures of Augie March , a departure from the more “traditional” forms of storytelling, however it was so accessible and engaging, drawing me in almost effortless.

I actually listened to this book in audio format but I find it interesting that my perception and recollection of it is very visual. As Augie narrates his story, I felt as if I was flipping through an old album of photography. Augie pinpoints one or another of the people around him, old eccentrics, crooks, immigrants, the new-rich, with such great detail and insight, and as he talks about this of that character, a bigger picture of Chicago during the depression starts to form. Eventually even Chicago becomes too small of a canvas for such a story and it spills out, first south, towards Mexico, and then East, to Europe.

I have at times drawn a parallel between a book and a painting, and although I cannot think of a specific painting at this moment, it certainly would be a Picasso: bits and pieces of characters and plot, all with multi-facets, creating a much bigger picture of a time period. Not exactly pretty, but captivating and intriguing. Certainly distinctive, but somewhat vague.

I should stop now; as I realize that my description may do this book a disfavor. Anyone reading this review may think it is after all a difficult book, when really it is not. It was a great story to listen, with a remarkable narrator. I cannot recommend it enough.

RosanaDR | Apr 15, 2021 |
The Adventures of Augie March is for me the great creation myth of twentieth century American literature.

Bellow, Saulprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Trilling, LionelIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my father
I am an American, Chicago born–Chicago, that somber city–and go at things as I have taught myself, free-style, and will make the record in my own way: first to knock, first admitted; and sometimes an innocent knock, sometimes a not so innocent.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,246,734 books! | Top bar: Always visible