An Elegy for Easterly by Petina Gappah

An Elegy for Easterly

by Petina Gappah

English (30)  Swedish (1)  All languages (31)
Probably 3 1/2 stars, really, but I'm in a generous mood and the next-to-last story in this book was stellar. What stands out in this collection is the sense of place; Gappah does a great job with the milieu, and that held my interest even when the plots and characters were basically the same kinds of plots and characters one generally finds in literary short stories. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
I wish I could give this an extra half star because the stories that are good are so good, but the collection overall is uneven!

Something Nice from London and My cousin-sister Rambanai are just fantastic.

I will be on the lookout for more by this gifted writer. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
'the ability to laugh at life for fear of crying'
By sally tarbox on 22 Aug. 2012
Format: Paperback
Thirteen highly readable short stories set in troubled modern-day Zimbabwe amid the horrendous inflation ('some moron thought he was doing me the world's greatest favour by offering me nine hundred billion for a four stroke diesel generator'),the prevalence of AIDS, life in the townships and political corruption.
Against this backdrop are tales both humourous and touching: the difficulties faced by even wealthy wives as they face an uncertain future if their husbands find a 'younger model'- or infect them with AIDS; the pressure put on childless women by a traditional society; the naivety shown by a Zimbabwean working abroad, taken in by a scam...
Highly readable ( )
  starbox | Jul 10, 2016 |
Really well written, but so depressing. There is humour, but it's very bleak, set against a backdrop of corruption, poverty, aids and infidelity. The worst thing for me about this book is that I know someone from Zimbabwe and remember the joy she had in the late 80s/early 90s. She now lives in economic exile in South Africa, because even for a Shona, the situation in Zimbabwe is too hard. This collection of stories reminded me that the people of Zimbabwe have been suffering for more than 20 years now. Depressing. ( )
  missizicks | Aug 4, 2013 |
Petina Gappah was born in Zimbabwe and currently works as a lawyer in Geneva. This, her first published work of fiction, is a collection of 13 stories, all but one of which are set in her homeland and feature characters struggling with the hyperinflation, bureaucracy and misogyny that beset life in Mugabe's Zimbabwe.

"More and more I have come to admire resilience," begins the epigraph, a poem by Jane Hirshfield. Yet sometimes laughter is the only form of resilience Petina Gappah's characters can manage, and it is the frequent humour in these stories that makes them remarkable, even if their outcomes can be tragic. Often satirical, occasionally lyrical, they are a delight.
added by kidzdoc | editThe Observer, Tom Fleming (Apr 19, 2009)

More and more I have come to admire resilience. Not the simple resisance of a pillow, whose foam returns over andf over to the same shape, but the sinuous
tenacity of a tree: finding the light newly blocked on one side,
it turns in another. A blind intelligence, true. But out of such persistence arose turtles, rivers, mitochondria, figs - all this resinous, unretractable earth. ----Jane Hirshfield, 'Optimism'
For Tererai and Simbiso Gappah, my beloved parents, and for Regina, Ratiel, Vimbai anfd Vuchirai
The bugle call shatters the stillness of the shrine. Its familiar but haunting melancholy cannot fail to move. Even the President seems misty-eyed behind his glasses.

Petina Gappah is the voice of Zimbabwe. In this astonishingly powerful debut collection, she dissects with real poignancy the lives of people caught up in a situation over which they have no control, as they deal with spiralling inflation, power cuts and financial hardship - a way of life under Mugabe's regime - and cope with issues common to all people everywhere; failed promises, disappointments and unfulfilled dreams. Compelling, unflinching and tender, "An Elegy for Easterly" is a defining book, and a stunning portrait of a country in chaotic meltdown.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:13 -0400)

A debut collection by a Zimbabwean international trade lawyer is set in a world under the regime of Robert Mugabe where privilege and corruption shape the boundaries of everyday life, sharing the stories of such characters as a childless woman in a township filled with youngsters, a coffin-maker who finds unexpected riches, and a politician's widow who is keenly aware that her husband's grave is empty.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Petina Gappah's book An Elegy for Easterly was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,823,754 books! | Top bar: Always visible