Pride and Prejudice [video - BBC/A&E]

by Simon Langton (Director), Sue Birtwhistle (Producer), Andrew Davies (Screenwriter)

Other authors: David Bamber (Actor), David Bark-Jones (Actor), Crispin Bonham-Carter (Actor), Anna Chancellor (Actor), Carl Davis (Composer)7 more, Jennifer Ehle (Actor), Colin Firth (Actor), Emilia Fox (Actor), Susannah Harker (Actor), Julia Sawalha (Actor), Alison Steadman (Actor), Benjamin Whitrow (Actor)

The story of lively and rebellious Elizabeth, one of five unmarried daughters living in the countryside of 19th century England, in a world where an advantageous marriage is a woman's sole occupation.
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (GirlFromIpanema)
    GirlFromIpanema: Published 50 years after Pride & Prejudice, this books shows the change in society and gives an insight into the life in the industrialized north of England, polite society, industrial action and all --and it's a cracking good romance as well!
Movies (132)

My favorite performance of this classic. ( )
  Eurekas | Aug 20, 2021 |
Not sure why I should enjoy watching these Jane Austen films so much with my wife and daughter. Perhaps it's that the stories and settings are interesting. Ehle and Firth are memorable here, making this superior to the Keira Knightley version. But much longer.... ( )
  datrappert | Mar 4, 2019 |
Pride and Prejudice (1995)

Lizzy – Jennifer Ehle

Mr Bingley – Crispin Bonham-Carter
Caroline Bingley – Anna Chancellor
Mr Collins – David Bamber
Mr Wickham – Adrian Lukis
Lady Catherine – Barbara Leigh-Hunt.

Screenplay by Andrew Davies.
Directed by Simon Langton.

BBC, Mini-Series, 6 episodes, ca. 300 min. overall.

=============================================

This version is the zenith of Pride and Prejudice on the screen. It is the closest one to the novel. It is visually the most lavish, with the most wonderful cast and the most accomplished direction. Of course it is not perfect. Nothing is. But as a whole none of the other three (1940, 1980, 2005) comes even close. I very much doubt I will find its equal among other versions in the future. I am sure it cannot be surpassed.

Colin Firth is my only qualm with this movie. But just like Darcy, he does improve on acquaintance. In the first three episodes he is a bit too busy looking sullen, but from the fourth onwards, after the fateful meeting with Lizzy in Pemberley, he manages his transformation rather well. That he is handsome and looks perfect for the part is no harm, either. The wonderful thing is that Lizzy of Jennifer Ehle is even better than her proud suitor. She hardly looks twenty, and she could use a boost of adrenaline now and then, but she is nothing like the soporific Elizabeth Garvie. She has the same quiet yet compelling vivacity like Greer Garson.

The supporting cast is flawless. Mr and Mrs Bennet are nailed to the last syllable; fabulous performances that would have warmed Jane’s heart could she see them. So are the others. The very pretty Jane is pure goodness, not unattractive though somewhat stultifying quality. Lydia is insane and exasperating, Mary is rigidly intellectual and impossibly dull. Lady Catherine and Caroline Bingley are just about the most snobbish and condescending creatures ever to have (dis)graced the screen. Mr Wickham is a most accomplished liar and hypocrite. Perhaps only Mr Collins could have been a trifle more ridiculous, and Mr Bingley a bit more handsome, but these are very minor issues.

All in all, an outstanding mini-series that should satisfy even the most ardent Austenophile. ( )
1 vote Waldstein | Apr 14, 2018 |
I have read the book, and watched this production, and have to say the casting, acting, production...everything is excellent. This is probably one of my favorite videos, or at least in the top five. I never tire of watching it. ( )
  fuzzi | May 29, 2016 |
A young woman meets a snobbish gentleman.

This type of romance is just not my thing. It's good for what it is, but not nearly as good as I'd expected from its reputation as one of the best TV series of all time.

Concept: C
Music: C

Enjoyment: C plus

GPA: 2.6/4 ( )
  comfypants | Dec 23, 2015 |
Kudos to the writer of this book. You did an amazing job. Why don't you try to publish your book in NovelStar? A lot of readers will love your work, judging from the book I just read.
added by RichardRomez | editLibraryThing.com

The BBC’s new serial has been touted in the press as revealing the latent ‘sensuality’ of Jane Austen’s world; naturally it reveals much more about the blatant sensuality of our own. Austen, after all, is notoriously cerebral – a resolute niggard in her descriptive dealings with food, clothes, animals, children, weather, and landscape. But we in the 1990s will not have it so...

The ensemble players are led by Alison Steadman. Some dull dogs have found her Mrs Bennet too broad, too Dickensian, but in fact she establishes a miraculous equipoise between bitterness and boiling vulgarity (and this balance is stabilised by clear traces of her past allure)... The sensualism imported by Davies and Langton brings one unarguable gain: all those creamy, dreamy scenes in the bedroom shared by Elizabeth and Jane, with the candles lit and the hair down, make us feel the crucial heaviness of their sisterly love.
added by SnootyBaronet | editNew Yorker, Martin Amis

Harker, SusannahActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sawalha, JuliaActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Steadman, AlisonActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Whitrow, BenjaminActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is the BBC/A&E film version (miniseries): producer, Sue Birtwistle; director, Simon Langton; dramatised by Andrew Davies. Do not combine with the book.
Per WorldCat, ISBN 0767089820 is for the 10th Anniversary Limited Collector's Edition which not only includes DVDs, but also book(s). See work that has the same ISBN: https://www.librarything.com/work/1752...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,188,875 books! | Top bar: Always visible