Doom Patrol, Vol.1: Crawling From the…

Doom Patrol, Vol.1: Crawling From the Wreckage

by Grant Morrison (Writer), Doug Braithwaite (Illustrator), Richard Case (Illustrator)

As a fan of the new show, I wanted to read a graphic novel. This one is definitely not at the beginning. I was not impressed with the comic. Way too much going on in all three stories. And Mr. Nobody who has the best lines shows up at the end? Ugh. I'll stick with the show. ( )
  booklover3258 | Feb 26, 2019 |
I surprised myself by loving this. The art and the text were truly weird, but also had clear storytelling and bizarre characters that I somehow could relate to. I especially like Crazy Jane, the woman with 64 different personalities, each with a different superpower. You never know who is going to show up. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
Being the start of Grant Morrison's run, Crawling from the Wreckage steered this series from a X-Men rip-off to a proposal that was totally original to its time (and between us, still now).

The story is localized after Invasion (one of the company events of the summer) in which a gene-bomb exploded by aliens released super-powers for some common humans. This was a springboard for DC to create new super-humans and it takes effects on the creation of Crazy Jane, the 1st original character from Morrison for the series (since Rebis is a remodel of Negative Man).

While it is a super-hero book, it has dramatic tension, pop culture references, original character developments and the clear use of story arcs which were not seem in other comtemporary books and it was often cited as the template for the Vertigo standard.

Highly recommendable. ( )
  apokoliptian | Jan 11, 2015 |
Classic kind of art but with endearingly damaged characters, lots of clever writing and plenty of action. Very cool old series. ( )
  eenerd | Jul 30, 2014 |
Witty, acerbic, disturbing, fun, surprising, and exciting. All at the same time. Easy to dive into, thankfully, even though this starts at "episode #19", as this is the beginning of Morrison's run with the team. Having had zero understanding of the world of Doom Patrol, it was a breeze to grasp and I'm now hooked. ( )
  iamiam | Jan 9, 2009 |

Morrison, GrantWriterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Braithwaite, DougIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Case, RichardIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Garzon, CarlosInkersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bisley, SimonCover Artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bolland, BrianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McCarthy, BrendanRebis & Scissormen sketchessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vozzo, DanielColourist (22-25)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Workman, JohnLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"They look at you and are revulsed.
"They call you freaks and they think your handicaps are all there is to who you are!
"We can prove them wrong. We can to their scorn to grudging admiration.
"Join with me, my friends. Together we can make a difference."
-From "The Secret Origin of the Doom Patrol"
roaringracingracing haring home on the homestretch now and the wind in my ears the sound of the crowd

É uma pergunta simples, mas a realidade não é simples assim – não mais. Pelo menos não para os membros da Patrulha do Destino – os Heróis mais Estranhos do Mundo.

Originalmente concebida nos anos de 1960, a Patrulha do Destino ganhou uma nova versão saída da fervilhante imaginação do escritor Grant Morrison em 1989, e desbravou novos rumos para os comics dos Estados Unidos.

Seguindo essa nova linha, os heróis da Patrulha deixaram pra trás qualquer vestígio de normalidade. Mesmo que sejam heróis superpoderosos e seus inimigos vilões que almejam dominar o mundo, isso é tudo o que é convencional na série. Com seus integrantes evitados como párias e aberrações, e marcados pela perda e insanidade, a Patrulha do Destino encara situações misteriosas por natureza e totalmente corrompidas – ameaças que precisam ser detidas… a qualquer preço.

"Creio que fique claro, a partir do ocorrido nestes últimos dias, que o mundo precisa da patrulha do destino… precisa de nós mais do que nunca. Há áreas em que somos os únicos qualificados a operar, percebem? Quando o mundo racional entra em colapso, temos como lidar porque nós já estivemos lá. Conhecemos a insanidade, o delírio, e perdemos o medo.”

Este encadernado é o primeiro que visa republicar a fase de GRANT MORRISON e RICHARD CASE à frente da PATRULHA DO DESTINO.

"Is this real or isn't it?" It's a simple question, but it isn't a simple world-- not anymore. Not for the members of the Doom Patrol, the World's Strangest Heroes. Originally conceived in the 1960s, The Doom Patrol was reborn in 1989, bursting out of the utterly unique imagination of writer Grant Morrison and heralding a new direction for American comics. Following that direction, the World's Strangest Heroes have left behind almost every vestige of normality. Though they are super-powered beings, and their foes are bent on world domination, all that is conventional ends there. Shunned as freaks and outcasts, and tempered by loss and insanity, the Doom Patrol faces threats mystifying in nature, corrupted beyond any sensible motives-- threats that must, at all costs, be defeated. --p.[4] of cover.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,071,440 books! | Top bar: Always visible