The Peacock Emporium

by Jojo Moyes

The charming multi-generational novel by Jojo Moyes, internationally bestselling author of Me Before You, After You and the new bestseller Still Me. 'A charming and enchanting read.' - Company Athene Forster embraced the Sixties like few others. Nicknamed the Last Deb, she was spoiled, beautiful, and out of control. And within two years of her marriage, the rumours had begun again. Thirty-five years on, Suzanna Peacock finds refuge from her mother's shameful legacy in her shop, the Peacock Emporium. Within its magical walls she discovers not just friendship, and an escape from her troubled marriage, but the first real passion of her life. But the spectre of her mother still haunts Suzanna, setting in place a series of dramatic events. Only by confronting the past will she finally be able to face the future . . .… (more)

After several more (nearly) sleepless nights I finished this book.
Like I wrote earlier, it's a good read for the middle of the night.

To be honest, I was happy it didn't turn out to be a real romance book. It had too much of family trouble and violence in it (imho). At times I was confused about who was the I that was talking to me, but all in all it was a nice read. I think Athena could have had a bigger role, and I'm not happy being left with not knowing who Susanna's father really is.

Unfortunately I had a bad night's sleep, so I ended up grabbing my e-reader to settle my thoughts and maybe, just maybe fall asleep again.

This book is perfect to read in the middle of the night. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Jul 4, 2020 |
This was an unmitigated delight in every possible way. The story is lovely. The readers were perfection. The writing was just lyrical. This will be the book I recommend (along with The Heft) whenever someone wants something good to read. ( )
  susandennis | Jun 5, 2020 |
Not your typical Jojo book. Jumped around... who's this?? Now we're in Brazil??? WHAT?!?

Gave it a long, hard try, but gave it up after 200 pages. No thanks.

The End. ( )
  nwieme | Mar 19, 2020 |
This is the Jojo Moyes that got away from me, meaning sat on my TBR shelf and I only discovered it there after her new book had been published.I don't know why I hadn't seen anything on my book social media pages about it? I thoroughly enjoyed it, as I have all her other books, and I think everyone will see that this plot differed from so many books written around this era. Now on to an ARC from LibraryThing, then the new Jojo Moyes, surrounded by some controversy, but, having read the other book first, I will withhold my opinion until I read it. ( )
  mchwest | Nov 12, 2019 |
This book from Moyes' backlist seems a bit different than other books by this author; it is darker in ways, and fewer of the characters are likable. On the other hand, they are portrayed in such a realistic way that one can’t help but develop - for most of them - an understanding of, and sympathy for, both their good and bad aspects.

The focus of the book is on the family of the Fairley-Hulmes and the people with whom their lives have intersected over the past 50 years or so. (The novel moves back and forth in time.) In particular, the story centers around Suzanna, one of the Fairley-Hulme daughters, now 35 and married to Neil Peacock. Her life seems boring and passionless to her, and she thinks perhaps a shop will help make her feel fulfilled. Thus she opens The Peacock Emporium, a little boutique for “found” objects with a coffee bar.

One of Suzanna’s first customers, Jessie Carter, offers to help in the shop. Because Jessie is genial and friendly in contrast to Suzanna, Suzanna realizes Jessie can help bring in customers. In time, surly Suzanna succumbs to Jessie’s charm as well, and in spite of their nine-year age difference (Suzanna is 35 and Jessie is 26), they become the best of friends.

Through the influence of Jessie, Suzanna gets to know the other shopkeepers and customers in the neighborhood, and the store’s business grows, as does Suzanna’s happiness. One male customer in particular seems to drop by more and more frequently. But Suzanna is married, and Jessie has a long-time boyfriend. They’re not sure what it means.

Changes are also occurring in her parents’ lives, but Suzanna, pre-occupied with herself, is largely oblivious to it. Then disaster strikes, and everyone has to re-evaluate who they are and what they want out of their lives.

Discussion: It takes longer than usual for Moyes to set up the background for the story and the ways in which its threads are tied together, but once the scaffolding is laid the pace is much improved. The story is cleverly bookended by the author, which adds to one's appreciation at the end.

While Moyes doesn't make it easy for us to like the characters, she adds the right amount of subtlety to convince us there is more to her protagonists than first meets the eye. In addition, the characters lives are quite interesting, and Moyes has you wishing you were there in the shop, having an espresso, and watching the story unfold.

Evaluation: I enjoy all of Moyes books. Her writing is quite good and her talent for realistic dialogue is outstanding. ( )
  nbmars | Oct 14, 2019 |
To my mother and father, Lizzie Sanders and Jim Moyes. With love and thanks.
Die Klimaanlage im Hospital de Clinicas hatte den Geist aufgegeben, schon zum dritten Mal in dieser Woche.
It was less a garden than, as one visitor had noted, a kind of horticultural concentration camp.

In the Sixties, Athene Forster is the most glamorous girl of her generation. Nicknamed the Last Deb, she is also beautiful, spoilt and out of control. When she agrees to marry dashing young heir Douglas Fairley-Hulme her parents breathe a sigh of relief. But within two years rumours have begun to circulate about Athene's affair with a young salesman.

Thirty five years on, Suzanna Peacock is struggling with her glamorous mother's legacy. At odds with her father and his second wife, struggling in a stalled marriage, she returns to the place of her birth to find that the ghost of her mother, in differing ways, still haunts them all.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,547,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible