dismiss

Invisible by Paul Auster

Invisible (2009)

by Paul Auster

Poet and student Adam Walker meets the enigmatic Frenchman Rudolf Born and his silent, seductive girlfriend, Margot, sending Adam into a perverse triangle that leads to a shocking act of violence that will alter his life.
Recently added byrena40, vernaye, tverderesi, private library, Llibressants, scottyn73, Wicki72

English (75)  Catalan (5)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (2)  Norwegian (2)  German (2)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (Bokmål) (1)  All languages (100)
This book by Paul Auster is a tough one to swallow because it contains some distasteful subject matter and that occurs in the second part. At that point I had to take a step back and I decided to look at what wikipedia had to say about the book. This did help and I was able to continue on. The book is in 4 parts and the author is writing about a young character who is a literature student. This student has a series of circumstances that leaves him feeling like he is trapped. After the first section, when the protagonist is confronted with an event, he has to escape. He starts to write his memorial almost what feels like an act of confession. This first section is called spring (first person). Then the second part is called summer, the third is called fall, all in a different voice. The title is 1967. The fourth section is from another person's perspective. The book has themes of tension of sex and war in hearts of radicals. While a person can appreciate the writing and the structure. The plot themes of sex and incest can be uncomfortable reading.
  Kristelh | Mar 31, 2020 |
Paul Auster's writing is so pleasant to read, it flows so easily and you want to see where it goes. I've enjoyed every one of Auster's books with the exception of "Travels in the Scriptorium" which I found unpleasant. The funny thing is I can't remember what happens in most of his books! I do recall that the first books of his I read (New York Trilogy and the Red Notebook) gave me chills and the feeling that I'd discovered a new world. Another novel of his, which one is unclear to me but that may just be my own faltering memory, has someone trapped in an underground library and the idea of that stuck with me.
With this novel, Invisible, Auster explores the fine line dividing fiction and truth. It is told in the 1st person, 2nd person and 3rd person and at the end one wonders whether there can be such a thing as "truth" at all. Amazing. ( )
  Marse | Jan 6, 2020 |
Adam Walker, student, is invited to the house of lecturer Rudolf Born. Here he meets the seductive and solitary Margot. His relationship to Margot is secondary to an incident that occurs when in the company of Born, something so disturbing that Walker carries it with him for the rest of his life.
This is a magnificent novel. Paul Auster's writing so captivating, so powerful that even when he diverts into areas that some my term taboo he does it with style and conviction, that the reader cannot help but be moved.
The action moves swiftly between Walker's youth and his later years, between Paris and New York, and there is a feeling of justice pervailing in the final chapters. I quite simply loved this book, it is short, sharp, poignant, brutal and unforgettable, in equal measures. Highly Recommended. ( )
  runner56 | Dec 24, 2019 |
I picked this up because it's on the 1001 books list and on my shelf from a library sale. While I appreciate Auster's concise, self-exploratory tone, I just don't really care for his books. I've found both that I've now read very male-centered and sort of gross. This one has a large scene about an incestuous relationship.

There is a certain tone he gets that I can't quite describe but that I do respect even while finding it a bit off-putting. It's hard to describe but his characters are self-reflective (lots of first person), yet self-centered, sort of pretentious and introspective, and engaged in the world in a very narrow way.

The story sort of meanders in and out of various plots and ended with a character's voice that didn't wrap things up for me sufficiently. This book was not a good fit for me, but others may like it. ( )
  japaul22 | Jul 7, 2019 |
This is the first time I've read Paul Auster's book. I had just finished it, and the urge to read the rest of his books was burning in me now.

Fascinating, sweeping, smart, setting a high bar that will include great literary conventions that give almost historic value to the level of writing that the word 'impressive' may insult.

Auster merges some characters and sets up a thought-provoking discussion of their moral twists and turns. The book intersperses a human mosaic.

Exciting and painful, sensational and blunt, vulgar and breathtaking.

The ending may be too random and detached, but the reader opens a warm and pleasant place to thoughts that slowly sewn up as soon as the book closes and goes to spend on the shelf with his colleagues. Great book !!! ( )
  JantTommason | Jan 7, 2019 |
In dem Dutzend Romane, die Auster seit der berühmten "New York-Trilogie" (1987) veröffentlicht hat, treten alle Naselang Rivalen des Erzählers auf den Plan und schildern zentrale Passagen ganz anders. Figuren, die mit Vorliebe "Paul Auster" heißen, drehen undurchsichtige Dinger, versprechen viel und halten wenig. Zu allem Überfluss umtosen - mit der Härte und Regelmäßigkeit eines Monsuns - den ohnehin betröppelten Leser theoretische Tiraden über das Gleißnerische von Sprache und Identität. Austers neuester Streich "Unsichtbar" ist da keine Ausnahme. Und eben doch.

Dette er ganske enkelt genial romankunst
Paul Auster har laget et fullkomment mysterium.
Med «Usynlig» har han kvesset skriveklørne; boka er fiks, leken, uhyggelig og så fullstendig gjennomtenkt at en gisper etter luft underveis.

Auster vet nøyaktig hva han driver med — ikke ett ord virker overflødig i hans univers, hvor mord, mysterier og incestuøse forhold kreerer kriblinger og ubehag i sofakroken.

Verglichen mit dem große Joseph Conrad kann Paul Auster relativ wenig. Aber vielleicht sollten wir Paul Auster einfach als Autor gehobener Unterhaltungsliteratur betrachten. Und da schneidet er dann plötzlich ziemlich gut ab. Seine Prosa ist wenig inspiriert, aber sie rutscht selten ins ganz Dumme, Klischeehafte ab. Seine Romanfiguren sind aus Pappmaché gemacht, aber die Konstruktion des Plots ist clever. Es gibt genug Sex und genug Crime, um den Leser bei Laune zu halten. Man verbringt einen angenehmen Nachmittag mit dem Zeug und hat hinterher nichts davon im Herzen zurückbehalten.
added by lophuels | editDie Welt, Hannes Stein (Aug 14, 2010)

Typisch Auster, zo’n spel met identiteiten en verhalen-in-verhalen. (‘Om de waarheid te vertellen, moeten we die fictionaliseren’ zegt Jim tegen het einde van de roman.) Soms leidt het tot niets, zoals in de romans van de afgelopen jaren die alledrie té bedacht, té bloedeloos en te zeer op de automatische piloot geschreven waren. Maar in Onzichtbaar werkt het, waarschijnlijk omdat de personages interessant zijn.

(...) Je zou het op basis van de bovenstaande citaten misschien niet zeggen, maar Onzichtbaar is ook stilistisch een geslaagde roman. Auster behoort niet tot de grote woordkunstenaars van de Amerikaanse literatuur; hij schrijft de meeste van zijn boeken in de ‘hardboiled’ stijl die hij zich eigen gemaakt heeft toen hij in het begin van zijn carrière detectives schreef. Maar in Onzichtbaar zijn prachtig geschreven passages te vinden (...) Des te jammerder is het dat de roman niet al te vloeiend is vertaald, of beter gezegd: een beetje ambtelijk en soms veel te letterlijk.
added by rfb | editNRC Boeken, Peter Steinz (Oct 9, 2009)

Paul Austerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schmitz, WernerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vlek, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I shook his hand for the first time in the spring of 1967.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Paul Auster's book Invisible was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,281,838 books! | Top bar: Always visible