The Amber Spyglass (2000)

by Philip Pullman

Series: His Dark Materials (3)

20,957363133 (4)182
Lyra and Will find themselves at the center of a battle between the forces of the Authority and those gathered by Lyra's father, Lord Asriel.
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a story about fantasy with another world
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (thebookpile)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (Morteana)
    Cold Fire by Kate Elliott (Jen448)
    The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (Leishai)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (themulhern)
    themulhern: This book follows a similar trajectory to the HDM trilogy, starting out fairly light and bright and growing gradually more somber, mature, and troubled.
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)
Ghosts (98)

English (348)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Italian (2)  German (2)  Croatian (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (361)
I truly enjoy the writing style of Philip Pullman he has a great way of creating a believable but still fantastical world and populating it with interesting and intriguing characters. I do not enjoy the ending to this series at all but I can still enjoy the series as a whole even if the ending deeply irks me. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
I really wanted to like this more, but I just couldn't. Honestly, the 3 stars is probably giving it more than it deserves. ( )
  jamestomasino | Sep 11, 2021 |
im not okay ( )
  jooniper | Sep 10, 2021 |
After reading the complete trilogy, I will certainly read more from Philip Pullman. The story is finished, but still the reader would like to know what happens with Lyra and Will in there own worlds. ( )
  JumpingJacquesFlash | Aug 29, 2021 |
i made it this far into the series, only to find out I didn't actually like it, and quit not even halfway through the last book. boring! ( )
  Enno23 | Aug 15, 2021 |
And as the bumpy journey among these dark materials comes to an end, there is the most moving of scenes: all fantasy subdued and only human frailty revealed in the real world of Oxford's Botanic Garden.

Pullman, Philipprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ströle, WolframÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tiffert, ReinhardÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tulinius, Gretesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O tell of His might, O sing of His grace,
Whose robe is the light, whose canopy space,
His chariots of wrath the deep thunderclouds form,
And dark is His path on the wings of the storm.

Robert Grant, from Hymns Ancient and Modern.
O stars,
isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? Doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from pure constellations?

Ranier Maria Rilke, The Third Elegy.
    From The Selected Poetry of Rainer Maria Rilke (transl. Stephen Michell)
Fine vapors escape from whatever is doing the living.
The night is cold and delicate and full of angels
Pounding down the living. The factories are all lit up,
The chime goes unheard.
We are together at last, though far apart.

John Ashbery, The Ecclesiast.
    From River and Mountains.
In a valley shaded with rhododendrons, close to the snow line, where a stream milky with melt-water splashed and where doves and linnets flew among the immense pines, lay a cave, half-hidden by the crag above and the stiff heavy leaves that clustered below.
I used to be a nun, you see. I thought physics could be done to the glory of God, till I saw there wasn't any God at all and that physics was more interesting anyway. The Christian religion is a very powerful and convincing mistake, that's all.
“But there’s my mother. I’ve got to go back and look after her. I just left her with Mrs Cooper, and it’s not fair on either of them.”

“But it’s not fair on you to have to do that.”

“No,” he said, “but that’s a different sort of not fair. That’s just like an earthquake or a rainstorm. It might not be fair, but no one’s to blame. But if I just leave my mother with an old lady who isn’t very well herself, then that’s a different kind of not fair. That would be wrong.

In the astonishing finale to the His Dark Materials trilogy, Lyra and Will are in unspeakable danger. With help from Iorek Byrnison the armored bear and two tiny Gallivespian spies, they must journey to a dank and gray-lit world where no living soul has ever gone. All the while, Dr. Mary Malone builds a magnificent Amber Spyglass. An assassin hunts her down, and Lord Asriel, with a troop of shining angels, fights his mighty rebellion, in a battle of strange allies—and shocking sacrifice.

As war rages and Dust drains from the sky, the fate of the living—and the dead—finally comes to depend on two children and the simple truth of one simple story.
Heroine suffers.
But in the end it's only
Midi-chlorians.
(Noisy)

4 1945

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,507,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible