The Thin Red Line by James Jones

The Thin Red Line (1962)

by James Jones

They are the men of C-for-Charlie Company. "Mad" 1st Sgt. Eddie Welsh, SSgt. Don Doll, Pvt. John Bell, Capt. James Stein, Cpl. Fife, and dozens more just like them, infantrymen in "this man's army" who are about to land grim and white-faced on an atoll in the Pacific called Guadalcanal. This is their story, a shatteringly realistic walk into hell and back. In the days ahead some will earn medals; others will do anything they can dream up to get evacuated before they land in a muddy grave. But they will all discover the thin red line that divides the sane from the mad, and the living from the dead, in this unforgettable portrait that captures for all time the total experience of men at war.… (more)

Er gebeurde veel in dit boek, en toch ook eigenlijk niets.

Normaal heb je, als je eenmaal goed in een boek zit, wel een of meerdere 'helden' of favorieten. Dat overkwam me in dit boek niet echt.

Dit verhaal is verzonnen, maar toch geeft het wel de gebeurtenissen weer die de auteur zelf heeft meegemaakt in deze slag.

Het was een lange ruk om dit te lezen. Of moet ik zeggen, te beluisteren, want ik had dit boek als een audioboek gelezen. Misschien dat een echt boek van papier of e-ink me beter was bevallen. Het deed namelijk veel af aan het verhaal door de manier waarop sommige dingen werden verteld. Zo leek het mij alsof de verteller van het verhaal niet goed Engels kende, waarop sommige woorden en namen nogal vreemd over kwamen. Kon ook niet langer dan 15-20 minuten luisteren. ( )
  EdwinKort | Oct 18, 2019 |
I picked up this novel soon after completing the author’s From Here to Eternity. The Thin Red Line was intended to be the second book of a planned trilogy, picking up with the amphibious landing and fight for Guadalcanal.

As with From Here to Eternity, which focused on a military base in Hawaii immediately preceding the attack on Pearl Harbor, the writing in The Thin Red Line is historically authentic, having been written soon after the events depicted in the novel. The characters in the book, members of Charlie Company, are vivid and sharply drawn. The culture of the army unit, especially having to do with sexual issues, was educational for me. I had seen the movie depiction of the novel and my disappointment in the film actually caused me to delay reading the book. Suffice it to say, the book is far better than the movie.

My only quibble, and one that I also found in From Here to Eternity is the author’s assumption that the reader is familiar with army ranks and the various subdivisions in an army (i.e. squad, company, battalion, regiment, etc.). This becomes somewhat confusing at times, though not insurmountable. Slightly more troublesome is the absence of maps. The book is rife with topographical and geographic description, which would have been far more useful had it been accompanied by maps detailing the areas of operation.

All in all, an outstanding period piece covering one of the seminal military campaigns of our age. One of the best war novels I’ve read. ( )
1 vote santhony | Oct 12, 2015 |
The World War II classic by the bestselling author of From Here to Eternity and Whistle, now a major motion picture from 20th Century Fox. They are the men of C-for-Charlie Company--"Mad" 1stSgt. Eddie Welsh, SSgt. Don Doll, Pvt. John Bell, Capt. James Stein, Cpl. ( )
  Tutter | Feb 27, 2015 |
I saw the 1998 movie version of this book in theaters when it came out. I remember that I was completely mesmerized and transported by it. It was a movie about war unlike any I'd ever seen before - it was mostly quiet and internal. Walking out of the theater, I found out I was pretty much alone in my enjoyment of it - people all around me said it was slow, boring, pointless. I mention this because I think the movie version prepared me for the book, which is probably just as divisive.

The story floats among a wide cast of characters as they arrive on Guadalcanal. (A special note at the beginning of the book points out that the terrain and battles contained in the book are fictitious, but that Jones placed the imaginary battles on Guadalcanal because of the emotion the island evoked.) You meet Pfc Doll, Cpl Fife, Sgt Welsh ... just about everyone has a simple, one-syllable name which is also a word: Band, Queen, Tall, Bell, Dale, Witt, Field, Cash, Beck. At the beginning, they're green recruits who miss the relative comforts of army life in a non-combat zone (and one where it's not constantly raining), apprehensive about what lies ahead. Shortly, as they're thrust into the thick of fighting, they become battle-tested veterans. How they react to their experiences is varied, and we are privy to each man's thoughts, reactions and self-assessments. The inability to ever really know what's going on in someone else's head is a theme visited frequently. You often see things from more than one point of view - what caused someone to act like they did, or what they were trying to convey, and how it was viewed by someone else.

I think that you have to just surrender yourself to the experience of the book. Jones' terrain may be fictional, but he is absolutely certain about how it looks and feels. He transports you to the humid, muddy island, its jungles and rocky hills. The progress made toward the next target is often slow, then suddenly shots are fired and you're thrown into confusion. People act heroically for the wrong reasons, cowardly for the right ones, and the reverse of both of those as well. The soldiers are frustratingly human, and occasionally disturbingly inhuman.

If you're looking for Band of Brothers, this isn't the war experience you want to read about. The men of C-for-Charlie company aren't members of Tom Brokaw's "Greatest Generation," they're just scared young men wondering how they can keep their fear from showing. They fight because there's no way to get out of it. The book explores the idea that a war is fought by an army, but the army is made up of individuals who are each fighting their own war. They all have go through the same things, and yet no one experiences them the same way. Through a number of different characters, Jones repeats the idea that "many more people were going to live through this war than got killed in it," and you realize its value as a mantra when you're in a life-and-death situation that often seems to be a lottery.

Recommended for: fans of Catch-22 and/or The Things They Carried, anyone looking for an antidote to the romanticizing of war, people who know better than to get too attached to characters in a war zone.

Quote: "It was easy to see, when you looked at it from one point of view, that all prisoners were not locked up behind bars in a stone quadrangle. Your government could just as easily imprison you on, say, a jungled island in the South Seas until you had done to its satisfaction what your government had sent you there to do." ( )
3 vote ursula | Feb 18, 2013 |
Soldiers war military ( )
  Poprockz | Jan 27, 2011 |
This book is cheerfully dedicated to those greatest and most heroic of all human endeavors, WAR and WARFARE; may they never cease to give us the pleasure, excitement and adrenal stimulation that we need, or provide us with the heroes, the presidents and leaders, the monuments and museums which we erect to them in the name of PEACE.
The two transports had sneaked up from the south in the first graying flush of dawn, their cumbersome mass cutting smoothly through the water whose still greater mass bore them silently, themselves as gray as the dawn which camouflaged them.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,921,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible