The Midnight Folk (1927)

by John Masefield

Series: Kay Harker (1)

Talking paintings and animals help Kay in his attempt to outwit the witches and locate his great-grandfather's buried treasure.
    The Box of Delights by John Masefield (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Kay Harker appears in both titles

English (16)  German (1)  All languages (17)
Pretty dated, it was published 1927 which seems to be a bit too old for a children’s book it’s just a bit too ‘old’ in style.

I couldn’t really get into it and gave up half way through. I did learn the word grimalkin though which was good. ( )
1 vote mjhunt | Jan 22, 2021 |
A disappointment (so why 3 stars rather than 2? Bumped up for historical importance and author's literary qualities ... but for sheer pleasure it gave me, it's really a 2). Even Madeleine L'Engle, who wrote an afterword for it, damned it with faint praise (paraphrasing, but basically "it's over-complicated and confusing but kids out to be able to figure it out nonetheless).

Too many characters, too many shifts in time and place, too many dreams, or dreams which turn out not to be dreams, and despite almost constant movement from our protagonist, no sense that any of it is really directed or intentional, the plot seemed to happen all around him, despite him. Lots of scenes of people telling other people what other people had done, were doing, or were going to do.

I thought it was interesting, but as a historical artifact, "fancy, that used to be the sort of book one would give a child and expect them to enjoy it!"

Will still try the next book (Box of Delights) which is apparently more of a classic and perhaps the author learned lessons from book one and applied them to book two. Fingers crossed!

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s). ( )
1 vote ashleytylerjohn | Oct 13, 2020 |
Fun story. I am really not certain whether I've ever read it before - the overall structure was completely familiar, but the incidents surprised me. I am certain I've seen a reference to Kay Harker before, in another book (by someone else) - something about "little Kay Harker, all grown up". No idea what book, though. Enjoyable in itself, as well as as a classic - I expect I'll reread this from time to time. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Mar 27, 2020 |

ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
I loved the fluidity of reality, dream, magic, imagination - Kay is never sure which is which, and neither is the reader. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |

Masefield, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hilder, RowlandIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
L'Engle, MadeleineAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For J. & L.
It had been an unhappy day for little Kay Harker.
Ich finde jedenfalls, daß eine Menge dieser zimperlichen, heuchlerischen Leute in der heutigen verweichlichten Zeit, die von Gefasel und Gequatsche leben, immer bereit sind, jeden zu verdammen, der auf eine Weise lebt, die nicht die ihre ist. Nichts zeigt einen beschränkten Geist deutlicher als das. (S. 111)

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,999,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible