Frindle (1996)

by Andrew Clements

7,3261981,019 (4.02)34
When he decides to turn his fifth grade teacher's love of the dictionary around on her, clever Nick Allen invents a new word and begins a chain of events that quickly moves beyond his control.

English (194)  Polish (1)  All languages (195)
Frindle tells the story of young Nick Allen who's has recently entered fifth grade. Nick is determined to overcome any obstacle that the year may bring including his teacher Mrs. Granger and her love for the dictionary. I love this story because it promotes confidence and creativity in young students. I loved reading this book when I was In fifth grade and I love re-reading it even more. ( )
  mcervantes4 | Apr 10, 2022 |
My children told me years ago that this was a great book and it is! I just got to it now and really enjoyed Nick's dictionary battle with the dangerous Mrs. Granger. A beloved book for many good reasons!

As a writer, I'm so impressed with the apparently effortless way Andrew Clements introduces the hero in chapter 1, the antagonist in chapter 2, and the first big clash in chapter 3.
  Ldecher | Dec 16, 2021 |
"Bookbag", Aug/Sept 1999
  AprilGraziano | Jul 26, 2021 |
My son's teacher read this to his class so I wanted to read it too. A nice book, interesting ideas, sweet ending, may have been a bit over the heads of first graders, but good to make them think. Hopefully my son will re-read it to himself in a couple of years. ( )
  emrsalgado | Jul 23, 2021 |
Andrew Clements based this novel around a child and a pencil. It is a comedy drama set in reality. The child makes up a name for the pencil and it becomes known across the USA. A family friend purchases the business rights for the name Frindle (the pencil). In many ways, it was like a social media movement going viral before the internet and social media had emerged in the USA. This book is aimed at the middle school age group

Meet the Author. Inspiration for Young Writers
https://youtu.be/O3spY7PpVLg ( )
  KylerJones | Apr 25, 2021 |

Andrew Clementsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Selznick, BrianIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Becky, Charles, George, Nate, and John - A.C.
If you asked the kids and the teachers at Lincoln Elementary School to make three lists- all the really bad kids, all the really smart kids, and all the really good kids- Nick Allen would not be on any of them. Nick deserved a list of his own, and everyone knew it.
So many things have gone out of date. But after all these years, words are still important. Words are still needed by everyone. Words are still used to think with, write with, to dream with, to hope and pray with. And that is why I love the dictionary. It endures. It works. And as you know, it also changes and grows.
"This is not an easy visit for me. We are having some trouble at school, and it appears Nick is in the middle of it."

Is Nick Allen a troublemaker?
He really just likes to liven things up at school—and he’s always had plenty of great ideas. When Nick learns some interesting information about how words are created, suddenly he’s got the inspiration for his best plan ever ... the frindle. Who says a pen has to be called a pen? Why not call it a frindle? Things begin innocently enough as Nick gets his friends to use the new word. Then other people in town start saying frindle. Soon the school is in an uproar, and Nick has become a local hero. His teacher wants Nick to put an end to all this nonsense, but the funny thing is frindle doesn’t belong to Nick anymore. The new word is spreading across the country, and there’s nothing Nick can do to stop it.

—from back cover

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,728,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible