Shadowfane by Janny Wurts

Shadowfane (1988)

by Janny Wurts

Series: Cycle of Fire (3)

ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Shadowfane, the concluding volume of Janny Wurts’ Cycle of Fire trilogy is an action-packed and exciting finale. As humankind is being destroyed by demons (who we now know are aliens) Jaric has realized that he has no choice but to brave the Cycle of Fire. If he succeeds, this trial will gain him the powers of a Firelord, but he risks the destructive madness that afflicted his father.

The action never lets up and, along the way, there are plenty of wins and losses and lots of heart-breaking suffering for all of our heroes — especially Jaric, Taen, Taen’s mother, Corley, and the Kielmark. There are also emotional displays of courage, grace, hope, faith, forgiveness, and love — themes which I appreciate in fantasy literature and miss in the writings of a few recently popular authors. The ending of Shadowfane is satisfying, but intriguingly not closed.

While reading The Cycle of Fire, I found myself once again greatly admiring Ms. Wurts’ imagination. I don’t want to give anything away, so I’ll just say that I loved the science fiction elements and how Veriset Nav, motivated — almost consciously — to complete its program, developed its own mythos to hide itself from humans and aliens.

I read the audio version produced by Audible UK. David Thorpe’s enthusiasm is infectious. If you read The Cycle of Fire this way, I suggest using Ms. Wurts’ website as a resource — she has posted a helpful map and a glossary (http://www.paravia.com). ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
CYCLE OF FIRE
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |

Janny Wurtsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Taylor, GeoffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wurts, JannyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The seeress of the well in Gaire's Main woke gasping in the straw of the stables where she
sheltered.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061054704, Mass Market Paperback)

Ivainson Jaric, heir to the Firelord's legacy, is caught in a life and death struggle to win his inherited powers. Taen Dreamweaver battles her evil brother, corrupted by demons to slaughter his own kind. If either one of the falls, the Stormwarden will never win free of his icy imprisonment to help their cause.

As Scait, Demonlord of Shadowfane, uses his captured human talent for his conquest, his machinations raise an even greater threat, one that could hurl all the world to its destruction , and end mankind's chance of reclaiming freedom among the stars...

And so the Cycle of Fire races toward its powerful conclusion!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:52 -0400)

Janny Wurts is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,745,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible