Locke & Key: Welcome to Lovecraft

by Joe Hill, Gabriel Rodriguez (Illustrator)

Series: Locke & Key (1), Locke & Key: Welcome to Lovecraft (1-6)

2,1701575,615 (4.09)1 / 181
The story of the Keyhouse, a New England mansion, with doors that transform all who walk through them...and home to a hate-filled and relentless creature that will not rest until it opens the most terrible door of all.
    Coraline: The Graphic Novel by Neil Gaiman (paradoxosalpha)
    paradoxosalpha: Kids move into haunted houses: Stories told in graphic novels for adult sensibilities.

English (155)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (158)
Great, scary storytelling. Can't wait to see the next volume. ( )
  readingjag | Nov 29, 2021 |
I devoured this in one sitting, after telling myself I'll just take a peek! ( )
  FinallyJones | Nov 17, 2021 |
I opened this book in a airplane trip. One hour and twenty minutes later i finished it and i was already starving for more. Joe Hill is the son of Stephen King and like his father, he his a man of great talent for writing. This story is very fresh and original. I really enjoyed the personal conflicts of each member of the family and the way each one was dealing with the death of a loving one. The villain is well constructed too, his background story is very realistic and at some points i didn't know how to react to him... Should i hate him for what he did and is doing? Or should i feel pity for him because his life was so screwed?

Anyway, this family lives in a mansion and there are magical keys that open peculiar doors. I'm not going to spoil anything, i just wanted to say that there is some King value in this, and it's awesome.
Totally worth my money.

Leonardo_ | Oct 29, 2021 |
I have no idea how to rate this.

I mean the only reason I bought this... was because of Supernatural (it made an appearance in S9E11: First Born) and it was on sale. And the title. And it was multiple issues in one and that appeals to me because Gratis? And I'm very impulsive so that probably had something to do with it. It was creepy, creepy, creepy. More so because children were involved.
I know children face horrors everyday but what these children went through... Horrible. And no I don't have children. That's not were my horror comes from. But I was a child once and still remember things happening and feeling absolute powerless because I was a child. That's what made this story so horrific to me. Because these children are coping and dealing with that fact each in their own way.

And then some supernatural stuff happens but only one child knows a part of it.
No, you can't understand. Because you're reading the last chapter of something, without having read the first chapter.

You're a little guy, Bode. Kids always think they're coming into a story at the beginning, when usually they're coming at the end.

CREEPY AS FUCK! Because I could not get the girl from the ring out of my head. In my mind it was her saying this.

So back to the rating. While typing, I came to a decision. It's a 4 star because I was not really loving the art style. Also some of the other characters weren't very fleshed out. I'm hoping they will be in the next volumes. But every comic who leaves me wanting for more in a genre I normally avoid like the plague I'm REALLY not a big fan of horror/thriller/all things murder deserves high rating from me. ( )
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |
A bit graphic at times for me but a great story that I will enjoy reading. Definitely Sandman-esque. ( )
  MorbidLibrarian | Sep 18, 2021 |
There are so many comics published these days that it's impossible to keep up on them all—not to mention, who can afford to? But there are shining examples of the genre that shouldn't be missed and this is one... I don't want to tell you too much because the joy of inventive series such as this is in your discovery of each new marvel and danger. Let me just say that Hill never goes exactly where you think he will, and therein lies much of the pleasure.

Hill, JoeAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rodriguez, GabrielIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Crais, RobertIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fotos, JayColoristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robbins, RobbieLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
JOE HILL:

For Tabitha Jane King:

Literary locksmith, mother, friend. Love you.
GABRIEL RODRIGUEZ:

To Catalina:

You unlocked my dreams.
Mendocino Valley -- Before.

Joe Hill is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,497,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible