Locke & Key: Welcome to Lovecraft

by Joe Hill, Gabriel Rodriguez (Illustrator)

Series: Locke & Key (1), Locke & Key: Welcome to Lovecraft (1-6)

1,8991386,179 (4.1)1 / 171
The story of the Keyhouse, a New England mansion, with doors that transform all who walk through them...and home to a hate-filled and relentless creature that will not rest until it opens the most terrible door of all.
    Coraline: The Graphic Novel by Neil Gaiman (paradoxosalpha)
    paradoxosalpha: Kids move into haunted houses: Stories told in graphic novels for adult sensibilities.

English (137)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (139)
Feels like the start of something good - Hill sets up his world of curious keys with magical properties with a grisly murder, a serial killer on the hunt and a mysterious woman inside a well. Definitely looking forward to reading the next two volumes. Thanks to Jim Zubkavich for recommending this book to me. ( )
  scout101 | Sep 15, 2020 |
A family (minus the father killed by an intruder) return to the father's family home, where mysterious keys and a lady in a well are waiting for them. I watched the Netflix series which is in broad outlines similar, but the art didn't move me--I found everyone too blocky or too ratlike, with nothing in between--and the particular cruelties of deceiving and harming children were too much for me to continue. ( )
  rivkat | Aug 22, 2020 |
The art and the story come together very well in this book. When a father is murdered, mom packs up and moves to the East Coast from California. The killer is in jail, so it seems they may be able to move on. Only problem is he manages to get out, with some help, and goes to hunt down the rest of the family. But he is not doing it just to kill them. He wants certain artifacts, the keys. What are the keys? What doors can they open? And who is really driving events, helping the killer (in a manner of speaking)? And why is the youngest child claiming he can turn into a ghost? Is it just grief, or something more eerie? These questions and more are raised, and some are answered in this first volume of what appears to be a very good series. I am looking forward to the next volume because this one was good, but I get the feeling the series will get better. The only reason I did not go all the way with five stars is that, like other horror tales, there are some small cliches or images that you know you have seen before. Or moments, like in a film, when you pretty much know someone slipped, gave the killer some basic information and unwittingly helped him. You, as the reader, know what is coming, which diminishes the suspense. But in this book, the diminishing is pretty minor. Overall, once you start this book, you will not be able to put it down. It is good horror tale overall. ( )
  bloodravenlib | Aug 17, 2020 |
High school guidance counselor Rendell Locke is murdered by one of his students, so his wife and three kids have no choice but to move from San Francisco to the abandoned Locke family home in Lovecraft, Massachusetts. The mansion is full of secrets, including a bunch of keys that have magical abilities.

I did not care for the drawing style, which seems to focus mostly on grittiness and shock value (did you really need to draw a 6-year-old boy with his buttcrack constantly sticking out of his baggy pants? no). The story is also told with many flashbacks which I found extremely confusing. However, I did watch the first season of the Netflix adaptation and liked it a lot. I will continue with that and not with this comics series. ( )
  norabelle414 | Aug 12, 2020 |
The Locke and Key series was suggest to me by a friend. I was hooked by the story straight away and I can't wait to continue reading the rest of the series! ( )
  JesseekaG | Jul 30, 2020 |
There are so many comics published these days that it's impossible to keep up on them all—not to mention, who can afford to? But there are shining examples of the genre that shouldn't be missed and this is one... I don't want to tell you too much because the joy of inventive series such as this is in your discovery of each new marvel and danger. Let me just say that Hill never goes exactly where you think he will, and therein lies much of the pleasure.

Hill, JoeAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rodriguez, GabrielIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Crais, RobertIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fotos, JayColoristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robbins, RobbieLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
JOE HILL:

For Tabitha Jane King:

Literary locksmith, mother, friend. Love you.
GABRIEL RODRIGUEZ:

To Catalina:

You unlocked my dreams.
Mendocino Valley -- Before.

Joe Hill is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,546,080 books! | Top bar: Always visible