Crisis on Infinite Earths by Marv Wolfman

Crisis on Infinite Earths (1985)

by Marv Wolfman, George Pérez (Illustrator)

Other authors: Mike DeCarlo (Inker), Dick Giordano (Inker), Jerry Ordway (Inker)

Series: DC Comics Crisis (1), Crisis on Infinite Earths (collection)

This is the story that changed the DC Universe forever. A mysterious being known as the Anti-Monitor has begun a crusade across time to bring about the end of all existence. As alternate earths are systematically destroyed, the Monitor quickly assembles a team of super-heroes from across time and space to battle his counterpart and stop the destruction. DC's greatest heroes including Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Aquaman, assemble to stop the menace, but as they watch both the Flash and Supergirl die in battle, they begin to wonder if even all of the heroes in the world can stop this destructive force.… (more)

I preface this by saying that I am, and have never been, a comic book reader. Nevertheless my brothers are, and I asked for a recommendation from them. My brother suggested Crisis on Infinite Earths, and loaned me his copy. I found the mere act of reading a comic book to be interesting, if not challenging, in itself. Furthermore, the large cast of characters, their backstories, and subplots make for a tedious read at times. Nevertheless, it was a somewhat enjoyable experience and I would recommend the book (though not to someone who knows little about comics). The art is beautiful for the time, and the constant presence of loss and sacrifice can be keenly felt by any reader. ( )
  oacevedo | Apr 9, 2019 |
I first read Crisis in my childhood and it helped change my vision on comics and at the time I was really impressed with superheroes and super-villains fighting and struggling to survive with several casualties in both sides.

Looking into it now, as an adult, it seems a bit naïve, that "neverending story" plot with a force consuming everyone from all the multiverses, excessive self-consciousines about good and evil and all its stereotypes being even more prominent over the passage of time and the crisis worsening does not sound natural to me, those people would quickly realize that to survive they should stick together and not keep fighting each other.

Also, all was triggered by two never mentioned before characters, the Monitor and the anti-Monitor, kind of an editorial Deus ex machina raised to simplify the DC universe that was so encyclopedic at the time that no writer could remember every aspect of the characters he was involved.

But the story has it's good moments, it's fairly complex, we can see the struggle and death of classic and beloved superheroes like Super Girl and Flash (Barry Allen was cheese, but I liked him and it was very sad to see him dying while trying to save all universes), the sadness of the all universe-orphaned characters like the batman relatives, the older superman etc.

This story definitively changed the way people did comics at the time and it opened the door to giant cross-overs that produced other good and bad stories but also proved that mini-series could be an editorial success and that comics was not forced to keep everything in the regular titles.

Specifically to DC comics, it created some years of coherence and good stories, until the greed for more money made the shift back to the maze it was before populating again the stories with parallel universes and side-lines. ( )
  marcux | Dec 3, 2017 |
This novelization was a nice compliment to the original Crisis On Infinite Earths mini series. ( )
  Martin_Maenza | Apr 14, 2017 |
I can see how this would have been very poignant and powerful if I was up on my DC Comics history, but as I'm not, I found it noisy and confusing, with occasional moments of iconic majesty. And it was a really cool innovative way of revamping continuity and trying to deal with the mess a shared universe inevitably descends into (INCLUDING OUR UNIVERSE??!?!), so I'll stand it a star or so on credit. ( )
  MeditationesMartini | Oct 23, 2014 |
I've been meaning to read this for a long time, though more for curiosity's sake than because I thought I would love it. It's an impressive feat, although it reminds me why I often didn't like comic books back in the 80s--the cheesy dialogue, the redundant information funneled through the cheesy dialogue and silly thought balloons, the often ridiculous characters (Uncle Marvel? Aqualad? Firestorm? Thank God they didn't include Ace the Bat-Hound.) Despite the annoyances, the singularly epic nature of the story is something to be admired. ( )
  jtodd1973 | Aug 27, 2014 |

Marv Wolfmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pérez, GeorgeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
DeCarlo, MikeInkersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Giordano, DickInkersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ordway, JerryInkersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Constanza, JohnLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ross, AlexCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the beginning there was only one, a single black infinitude

Archive-Quality Slipcase Collection (Includes Poster) - 1st printing. Collects Crisis on Infinite Earths (1985) #1-12. Written by Marv Wolfman. Art by George Perez, Dick Giordano, Jerry Ordway, and Mike DeCarlo. Cover by George Perez and Alex Ross. Includes bonus 21" x 32" poster version of issue # 7 "Death of Supergirl!" Hardcover, (Slipcase), 370 pages, full color. 1998. ISBN: 1-56389-434-3

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,996,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible